Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,539 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Arkansas,

I am back in my routine this morning, talked to Corey at 8 a.m., then my daughter at 9 a.m. while I got my meds sorted out for the week. It was 4 a.m. her time, which is the only time she has to walk, so I know she's doing well when I get calls that early. Got laundry going, too.

Yesterday was a couple hours of weeding the roses. I always forget that when the plants love the rain, the weeds do too! While I was doing that, Corey came out with the long-pole lopper/saw. He was just planning on cleaning up the mimosa tree out front, which had a few branches die at the very tip-top.

By the time he was done, he'd also sawn a number of big drooping branches off the maples and the oak tree, where the grass won't grow underneath, "just to get them some sunshine." Then I helped him cut down an old, hibiscus tree that was trying to grow a completely new trunk, and the old, four-inch wide trunks, four of them, were rotting. Fewer flowers each year. That ended up taking two little tractor loads of dragging branches back to the burn pile.

Now we need to figure out a way to get rid of the old tire surround that is still there around the tiny little new tree. It was probably quite in style when it was planted, like 30 or 40 years ago. I think it's going to take a sawz-all to cut that thing off. The roots have just grown into it too much to pull it off.

Time to go get the elliptical and rower work going before the next phone call. Best friend at around 11 (maybe), then definitely husband at 12.

Finances and being frugal:
    On retirement - While full retirement is 67 here, the government deliberately doesn't advertise that you can retire at 63 (if you were born 1960 or later) and draw your social security funds at about 73% of your "full" amount. While it's not ideal, since I left work at 60 during the pandemic and didn't go back to work as I was so ill, then factoring in my life expectancy, it simply made more sense to take "early" retirement. It's possible I'll regret that, in the end, but as Heather says, living for the day is really important, too, and my retirement check made it possible for us to pay off the house this year, so it was well worth it.

On laundry sheets - I'd never even heard of them! Went looking, and while they definitely have the edge in being tidy and slightly more ecologically sound, they are nearly four times the cost per load of the Purex free and clear laundry detergent I use now. Doesn't sound like much when they only cost 24 cents per load, but adds up to $83 a year for the sheets and $31 for the liquid detergent for our usage levels. It's why I don't use the Tide pods - they would be $75 a year for us.

On dishwasher pods - I'm finding that anything that pre-measures the amounts I need to use of pretty much any substance is almost always more than we need, with the exception (so far) of dishwasher detergent. Unlike laundry, in which everything without perfumes and dyes seems to work the same to get clothes clean (my opinion), the cheaper dishwasher pods just don't work, so I do buy the Cascade ones. I hate having to rewash dishes, and it never happens with Cascade. That said, they are almost double the price of the cheapest ones. Sometimes, you choose what works over what's cheap.

Dryer balls - Does anyone use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets? I've been tempted to get some. They're rated to last about a thousand loads (about five years for us!), and the total savings are only about $10 a year. But, they would save an awful lot of waste over the course of that time, including, of course, a thousand dryer sheets that don't go in the trash.

Ah, time to get a Walmart order finished and get moving!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate good friends.
    Meditation: daily. 14/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 210/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 20/23 a z(681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low. “Breathing in,I am relaxing. Breathing out, I am relaxed.”
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly. Sticky notes, here I come!
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you. Forgot to do this.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement. Doing that this morning.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories. This sounds like fun! I do have my pictures rotating on my TV as a screensaver but need to go through those.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still. AHHH Meditation
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you. This is hard, but I try!
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love. I need to tell myself this often.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing. I try.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://caring-mindfulness.thinkific.com/courses/mindfulness

Mindfulness begins with paying attention on purpose.

Serving size Potassium content % of the Daily Value (DV)
    Dried apricots 1/2 cup (190 grams) 1,100 mg 23%
    Cooked lentils 1 cup (198 grams) 731 mg 16%
    Cooked acorn squash 1 cup (205 grams) 644 mg 14%
    Cooked potato 1 medium (167 grams) 610 mg 13%
    Canned kidney beans 1 cup (260 grams) 607 mg 13%
    Orange juice 1 cup (236 mL) 496 mg 11%
    Banana 1 medium (115 grams) 422 mg 9%
    Sirloin beef steak 1 ounce (85 grams) 315 mg 7%
    Milk (1% fat) 1 cup (236 mL) 366 mg 8%
    Natural Greek yogurt 3/4 cup (214 grams) 240 mg 5%
    Tomato 1 medium (123 grams) 292 mg 6%
    Brewed coffee 1 cup (235 mL) 116 mg 2%

Try this today: Aim to have 2–3 potassium-rich foods each day. For example, a banana for breakfast, 1/2 cup (130 grams) of kidney beans at lunch, and white potatoes on your dinner plate.
  • kevrit
    Options
    Debbie, How much will you charge for the movable shark? How about a moveable rattlesnake? I’d love one of these! Both the machine or your printouts! :D
    RVRita
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    1948CWB wrote: »
    PIP ~ You were the prettiest one among your old classmates! Glad you went to the reunion and enjoyed it. I have never been to a reunion from my high school as I hated all those years!

Carol in GA

Awww thx. High school was not fun for me either, was bullied in jr high. A lot of these we went to kindergarten all the way up, so we were lifelong school mates. A lot of people were mean to me then

Our high school is like yours many of us started kindergarten together and stayed together. I moved outside of town so went to another elementary school for 2 yrs then junior high at the other school but we all went to the only high school in town.
    We had our bullies that made some days rough. I was always very quiet, talked to very few people.
    When we started having the reunions I decided to help with the planning. Over the years I have ended up being the main one planning things and getting help when I can. I will start planning our next one, which is in two years, this coming year. Start by getting current addresses and contacting people on Facebook.
    It will be our 45th.
    What is great about the reunions now is all of those cliques are pretty much gone. Yes same groups hang out but everyone is welcoming to everyone. I talk to a whole lot more people now than I ever did in school. Now THEY come up to talk to me ;)
    I enjoy planning everything- I will change a few things from the last time just by asking for more help and not trying to do everything on my own (got stuck at the raffle table and didn't get to visit like I wanted to)
    We will combine our class and at least the class after us which is really great because my favorite cousin and many friends are in that class.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kevrit
    Options
    Facebook has a related app called “Messenger” I have seen a scan there several times where they send a message directly to you from someone you know saying I just found out about someone you know dying. DO NOT click on any links in this. Call or text the owner of the account and tell them they may have been hacked and who died. If they cannot come up with a name then it is a scam. Bad part about this, is that a classmate I grew up knowing for many many years did die recently, but the person who told me about it messaged me details and sent a copy of the newspaper clipping. This one was real, but I was weary of it until I made sue it was real. It’s so sad that people target older people this way. When someone we really know is ill or dies, we have to question it these days. So mean!

RVRita
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Pip - Well done for having the courage to go to the reunion. <3

Tried out the laundry sheets this afternoon. Not used them before. They seem to have done the trick, but the proof will be in our skin's reaction. I bought sensitive skin, unperfumed, non bio. Does anyone else use them?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I use them. They clean as well as liquid detergent, in my opinion. They don't leave any scent. That might be fine for some. I like that I can tear them up if I have a smaller load. I really like that they completely dissolve and the packaging is compostable.

Tina in CA

• dlfk202000
    Options

Debbie - the more I see about 3D printers the more I think I need to buy one for DH. He has wanted one for years. Problem is, he would also need a new laptop to run it.

Flea - I understand your husband’s frustration, you look and look, try and try without a response or positive outcome, but go into public all you hear is “no one wants to work, we are so short staffed”. It’s a strange world right now.

Tracey in Edmonton

Does he have a desktop computer? That is what I use(dh uses his laptop)- with the one printer he has shown me how to use and I think most, if not all of his, you download the files onto an sd card or jumpdrive and put that into the printer. Downloading and printing are easy- it is the step from downloading, some kind of fixing the file that I don't understand yet is what I need to figure out. For now, I download the ones I want to try and dh takes them from my computer and puts them onto the printer, then I will just hit print,pick the file and hit print again. That is it.
  • sh0tzz99
    Options

Lisa - you did a great job not cussing. There probably would have been some *kitten* (plural)thrown in with mine.

I had an incident with money today too. I ran to McDonald’s this morning. I just threw my debit card and phone in my hoodie pocket. About 4 hours later I left the house to go meet the girls and my friend for the movie. I stopped at Costco to get the cheap tickets and realized my bank card wasn’t in my wallet. I didn’t think a lot of it, assuming it was in my hoodie at home.
    I went to the movie and came home to get my card so I could grab a couple things at the grocery store and couldn’t find it. I grabbed Rodger’s card and ran to the store. On my drive to the store I thought I better call and report my card lost. When I went to my app to get the number I saw someone had spent all but 38.00 of my money at Walmart and Winners in separate transactions. I will have the money sent back in about 2 business days. The only explanation is that I dropped it in our driveway and a neighbour walking by saw it. We have a couple that we’ve been told to watch, never had a problem with them ourselves, but maybe we have now.
    People are desperate, all of my years working in security I know that it’s times like these that people come out of the woodwork. The security industry thrives during recessions and such.

Tracey in Edmonton

It's even more disappointing that your card may have been stolen by your neighbor.

I actually wrote up an article on the FB scam Margaret mentioned a couple of weeks ago. A lot of people got caught with that one. A month or so ago, my step-mother had her FB account completely taken over by someone asking her if she'd be their "trusted contact." (That's a huge scam, as that doesn't exist anymore). She had to create a new account, but the people/person who stole it has a lot of information they can use on others. I have to constantly remind my family members to be careful about links.

On the horizon...AI scams. They are already starting. We won't even be able to trust voices.

On that cheerful note, I should get to my leg workout!

Tina in CA

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,815 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Went and got the bloodwork
    And after what I ate yesterday,i fasted and came home and am just having some chicken bone broth
    Its rainy and yucky out today..remnants of Ophelia I guess.
    Nothing new here
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    High school reunions-I have only been to one. I live across the country and the timing rarely works out for me. I didn't like that one and haven't been excited about the others. Maybe I'll go to the next one. One of my HS friends owes me a beer from 5 years ago. :)

Facebook and other social media make it "easy" to see what everyone is up to. So, I don't feel the need to go to them. It's too stressful trying to figure out what to wear.

Tina in CA

• sh0tzz99
    Options

On retirement - While full retirement is 67 here, the government deliberately doesn't advertise that you can retire at 63 (if you were born 1960 or later) and draw your social security funds at about 73% of your "full" amount. While it's not ideal, since I left work at 60 during the pandemic and didn't go back to work as I was so ill, then factoring in my life expectancy, it simply made more sense to take "early" retirement. It's possible I'll regret that, in the end, but as Heather says, living for the day is really important, too, and my retirement check made it possible for us to pay off the house this year, so it was well worth it.

On laundry sheets - I'd never even heard of them! Went looking, and while they definitely have the edge in being tidy and slightly more ecologically sound, they are nearly four times the cost per load of the Purex free and clear laundry detergent I use now. Doesn't sound like much when they only cost 24 cents per load, but adds up to $83 a year for the sheets and $31 for the liquid detergent for our usage levels. It's why I don't use the Tide pods - they would be $75 a year for us.

On dishwasher pods - I'm finding that anything that pre-measures the amounts I need to use of pretty much any substance is almost always more than we need, with the exception (so far) of dishwasher detergent. Unlike laundry, in which everything without perfumes and dyes seems to work the same to get clothes clean (my opinion), the cheaper dishwasher pods just don't work, so I do buy the Cascade ones. I hate having to rewash dishes, and it never happens with Cascade. That said, they are almost double the price of the cheapest ones. Sometimes, you choose what works over what's cheap.

Dryer balls - Does anyone use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets? I've been tempted to get some. They're rated to last about a thousand loads (about five years for us!), and the total savings are only about $10 a year. But, they would save an awful lot of waste over the course of that time, including, of course, a thousand dryer sheets that don't go in the trash.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I haven't used the dryer balls, but I use the sheets several times before I toss them. One Costco box lasts well over a year for us.

I also find that Cascade really is the best for dishwashing. I don't use anything else unless I'm desperate.

Since I spend most of my time at home, I don't do laundry all that much. So I don't mind paying more for the detergent sheets. I'm so tired of all the plastic.

I also have reusable "plastic wrap" and ziplocs. I'm loving them.

Tina in CA

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    MFP Weekly Check-in for September 25, 2023

Rita in NM - I didn’t do so good this week. Didn’t gain but stayed the same. Need to watch my night time snacking! I must remember that just because it doesn’t have a lot of carbs, or any at all, it DOES have calories! (Chocolate, nuts, etc…_)

Kylia in Ohio - 124.8 Not sure how I lost it as I have eaten anything not nailed down, but I will take it!

Debbie in CA -up another 1.4 pounds over the past two weeks. Didn't weigh last Sunday while I was at mom's. Need to get tracking again and get the scale moving the other way.

Lanette SW WA State – scale finally moved down a pound. Only a few pounds to go until I’m at my “set point” / goal weight range. Feeling better overall cutting way back on sugary/ salty snacks, desserts, processed foods. Moving toward fruit and nuts for snacks these days. A few nuts like pecans or walnuts really does fill me up for a while. A cookie or two probably wouldn't have done so.
  • dlfk202000
    Options

Debbie - that 3D printer is neat, I've never seen one in action. Nice that you have an arrangement with the restaurant. You are a master at "side jobs" with that and the grocery store marketing gigs.

Have a wonderful week. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Dh has four or five printers all set up so can print a lot of things at one time but usually just uses one or two at a time. Some are faster than others.
    The "side jobs" are what I do for my "fun money"-that money doesn't go into the regular accounts to pay household bills unless I really need to. Now that I only have Ezie basically 5-6hrs a week, I have a lot more time to do the shops. I have been doing them for YEARS so am in the database for some really good,reliable companies. The merchandising jobs are new to me and I am finding I am liking them.It has really helped my self confidence. I am not as nervous about doing them now. Of course the first one of each type I am but after one or two, I do a lot better.
    I do have to go back and fix one shop from last week- they had a reset email that I read after I got done with the shop so need to go back and fix it-thankfully it is the movie theater here in town. The manager had done the gift cards before I got there- I just need to fix them to the planogram they want. Should only take 5 min.
    Just signed up for another mystery shop- fast food place so son will enjoy the food.
  • dlfk202000
    Options

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Dh says I can pull my SS at 62 and we start applying 6 months before that which for me is next month.
    He also said that I can pick if I want mine or half of his- taking half of his because it will be more than mine(I have been self employed most of my adult life, teaching for a few preschools over the years but not enough to really make a difference.

• dlfk202000
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    High school reunions-I have only been to one. I live across the country and the timing rarely works out for me. I didn't like that one and haven't been excited about the others. Maybe I'll go to the next one. One of my HS friends owes me a beer from 5 years ago. :)

Facebook and other social media make it "easy" to see what everyone is up to. So, I don't feel the need to go to them. It's too stressful trying to figure out what to wear.

Tina in CA

Facebook has been great to find our classmates and a bigger part, see what everyone looks like so we can recognize them when we do get to the reunion and we aren't totally shocked. Many of my classmates I would not know if I hadn't seen pictures on Facebook. The guys with the best hair in high school are now bald ;)
    Our class and the town we grew up in has always been pretty laid back.
    Our reunions are at classmates' wineries or on their property by the river. Dress is pretty casual. A few girls dress up but regret wearing spiky heals when they are walking across the lawn or the dirt driveway.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I hardly do Facebook at all. Just a few of DH'S relations, but I don't do my family, or friends, apart from my elder son, who is a really bad communicator. In the same way as I am decluttering my home, and possessions, I like to declutter my brain. Anyone who really cares will contact me separately. I prefer to keep things at a minimum. I need mental space and a peaceful mind.
    On Instagram I only follow a chosen few life coaches.
    I'm very careful about what I put in my diary. I always have been. I don't like to be 'busy'. It doesn't suit me.
    I save my energy for my writing. :p

The girls enjoyed their visit and made short work of the dinner I cooked them. DH took them to Art Club.
    In the morning I offloaded more books and kitchen utensils to the charity shop. We've been here 5 years, and I've never used the duplicates I kept. Out they went! Plus a no 4 cake tin Every day I look for a few things to get rid of. It makes me so happy! :D

I spent my teenage years in chaos and mess, tormented by disarray and grime. I find it so freeing to be simplifying my environment and my life. It doesn't mean I have nothing or do nothing, it just means I choose what I do intentionally and guard my peace.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :) I tried Facebook and found it not useful so I deleted my account. I've not tried any other social media because they didn't look appealing. I connect with friends and family via text and Zoom. I went to one high school and one college reunion and realized that I was more connected to the site than to the people.

:) It is rainy here this week so I'll be indoors except for my morning walk

<3 Barbie in NW WA 🌻🌧