WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hello, all, from a cool and rainy Arkansas River Valley morning,

Washer is whooshing, dryer is gently bumping with the wool dryer balls, which I did buy and am very happy with. For the same cost as a box of Bounce that lasts about a hundred loads, or 20 weeks, I bought dryer balls that should last for about a thousand loads, or about four years. Economical and better for the environment at the same time...

Last night, while we're just quietly sitting in the living room reading, a raccoon peered into the living room window through the screen--had it decided to, it could have ripped through it with one claw... Corey scrambled and got the pellet gun, walked around the house, and popped it in the butt from around 20 feet away - it fell off its perch with a grunt and a lot of growling. Didn't kill it - we try not to, we just want to teach them it's not a good place to visit. He popped it again from further away (in the dark!) as it was headed for the fence. He's a really good shot. That will hopefully keep the raccoon away from the house, but closed that window anyway!

Also moved Egg's dish in the living room this morning to try to discourage the stray that keeps coming in to eat her food. Unlike Debbie, we're just not up to dealing with strays at all and try to discourage them. One cat is plenty for us.

After the rain stops gently dripping outside, I'll probably go outside and do some weeding, but for now, I'll enjoy the remainder of the morning inside. Woke up with an idea of what I want to make with some polymer clay. Going to play with that for a while this morning. I've already gotten four more file boxes filled in the storage room, and more than a dozen plastic bins and boxes out in the car for the next trip into town. For whatever weird little reason, every one of them that I empty makes me happy. I'm terribly tired of plastic.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in cool, rainy, but still green for a few more weeks, Arkansas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Lisa - LOVE your bowl. It can be your little friend.... :p

Joy - your alarm story had me laughing out loud !!!! I actually read it to DH, which is a rare thing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    Hello, all, from a cool and rainy Arkansas River Valley morning,

Last night, while we're just quietly sitting in the living room reading, a raccoon peered into the living room window through the screen--had it decided to, it could have ripped through it with one claw... Corey scrambled and got the pellet gun, walked around the house, and popped it in the butt from around 20 feet away - it fell off its perch with a grunt and a lot of growling. Didn't kill it - we try not to, we just want to teach them it's not a good place to visit. He popped it again from further away (in the dark!) as it was headed for the fence. He's a really good shot. That will hopefully keep the raccoon away from the house, but closed that window anyway!

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in cool, rainy, but still green for a few more weeks, Arkansas

I need to start using dh's airsoft gun on these raccoons.
    I am trying to find the vent covers for the ones around the house(outside, venting under the house)
    The ones I am looking for have springs so what ever is under the house can get out but cant get back under. I saw them once, years ago and didn't order them, now can't find them.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Had a very substantial dinner, which was a bit tourist level, but quite good. I got them to turn the music down. But I feel absolutely stuffed. :o For the cheese course I had the local speciality, Cervelles des Canutes. It isn't 'brains', but a kind of lumpy cottage cheese, mixed with chives and scallions. Very nice.
    They are open on a Saturday, but most restaurants are shut for the weekend!!!!! I have never been in a place where that happens! I know Sunday evening and Monday are difficult in France, but Saturday night! The few that are open are fully booked. I rang 6 or 7. Very strange. We might go back to this one, or get a pizza, or buy something from the supermarket. The hotel does heated tins!
    Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, but mild. I think we will go to a famous gourmet market near here, and then to the city art gallery.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Yes I have to push the issue of replacing the smoke detectors. The challenge is finding someone who can climb the ladder and do it.

Annie in Delaware

There are companies who do that sort of thing.

But first, call the fire department.

Ah, I see that you've got someone coming in. :)

But remember, don't wait for your parents to "allow" you to do something. You're the carer ... just do it!

Also, check those carer resources I've posted earlier. See what kind of help you can get for yourself first, and your parents.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Off out to eat in half an hour. We booked one we saw near the cathedral. Having trouble finding a traditional restaurant open tomorrow. They are either full, or shut for the weekend!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

We found that during the months we've spent cycling in France.

We'd be able to find places to eat all right for a while, then all of a sudden they'd all shut down for a day or two!!

One place we ended up getting packaged camping meals from a sporting goods store because that was the only food around.

M in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Lisa- Levi OMG he is adorbs
    Tracy dropped off Miles at daycare and stayed home and rested today .. I hope Kyle steps up ,but all Miles wants is mommy..
    My hips are screaming today.maybe all the walking yesterday at the store..
    Hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Annie, nice you ordered an electrician. Even better than a handyman.πŸ‘πŸΌ I hope it goes smoothly!
    πŸ’–
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa