WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Question of the day: Have any of you ever used a personal trainer? If so, would you mind telling about your experience - are you still utilizing what you were taught?

Lanette B)

Yes and yes.

I also trained to be a fitness trainer ... took all the courses, and did some practical work in a couple gyms, but I was also taking my Bachelor of Education at the time, and couldn't fit the number of practical hours in to officially complete the fitness trainer course.

Machka in Oz

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Options
    Michele- what was on the soba noodles? Were they cold or warm?
    I had them cold when I was in Japan and really liked them. Make them at home once in a while.
    Would like to try new ways.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Options
    Time to go walk the wetlands- will be nice. 20degrees colder than yesterday. That is great beings there is no shade for the entire hour walk. Sometimes a breeze, sometimes not.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    Options
    Machka ,you said gel and acrylic pens?

Gel pens - I usually get these in discount stores or department stores. I like the metallic and glitter ones but some of the plain ones are nice too.

Alcohol pens - these are fat pens and often found in art and craft shops.
    biypq3ghhqq4.png

I'll also use Bic and Sharpie pens - especially the fine ones. I pick them up on sale wherever I can find them.

Machka in Oz

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    Maybe two bowls worth....😂
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,575 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Evie - Thanks for pointing that out. The employees at Home Depot who cut the plastic roofing panels for me just used the black handled heavy duty shears they had in their toolbelts, they didn't use the saw. Probably what they used to cut strapping. When I got the panels home, Roger and I took similar shears and cut them to fit. Now I'm wondering if the manager at the local HD misunderstood and thought I meant running them through their large saw? Not a biggie. Roger came by yesterday afternoon and if I still need them will run into town with his pickup.

Barbara - I don't know how I missed your earthquake experience. Just wow! Don't blame you for taking the ferry and avoiding the roadway.

Lisa and Machka and Michele - neat that you had personal training experience or were personal trainers! We are so lucky to have you in this group. :)

That ZOE video talked about the benefit of using heavy weights to achieve muscle fatigue (stimulating growth) faster v. lighter weights (easier on the joints) with more reps to achieve similar muscle fatigue. They mentioned doing 30 or 40 reps with the lighter ones ....I was assuming at once.... and I wondered if that's better than doing two or three sets of 8 or 10 reps. Would there be a difference/benefit? Does it matter? The Strong Women Stay Young plan breaks it into sets and also mentions increasing weight gradually until that last set is really a challenge. That's probably good advice. Avoiding injury is paramount for me.

Lisa - I liked that 3-3-3 idea.

Machka - good for you learning about dementia right now.

Dr. Matt sent an email this morning and mentioned the Migrating Motor Complex. I had never heard of it. This is why docs and nutritionists say to wait 3 to 4 hours between meals and don't snack. I thought it was just to keep calories under control. :p Here's more info:

https://www.ashleysauvehealth.com/post/what-is-your-migrating-motor-complex-how-to-support-yours

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,575 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Went to Ollie’s so didn’t get my steps in. I had a 15% off coupon but forgot my phone. I thought they could bring up the coupon at the register but they can’t. So went home and got my phone. Was certainly worth it for $7. I usually get around 7-9,000 steps but I won’t today. Oh well

Rita – wow!

Debbie – so happy about your cousin’s daughter. I would say that the soba noodles were warm. Certainly not cold. But they were good. I know she told me there was soy sauce on them.

Forgot that we usually wash the sheets on Sunday.

Rosemarie – super big hug

Made more rice krispie bars for vince, mainly because I have marshmallows I want to use. Also made a crochet towel topper. I’m experimenting with a different pattern. Almost have it down.

Off to take a shower and then maybe watch some TV.

Michele NC