Idea for crafting ?
    yyug4rcxpp4z.jpg
    Love Heather xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,366 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

My mom is still in rehab. Very slowly getting slightly stronger. We have a care team meeting today. Dad is so eager for Mom to come home, but then he won't be doing any of the work. I'm nervous about the next step. Will I be able to leave the house at all? Will I have any time or energy for my own mental health? Am I selfish for being concerned about myself?

Mom is cheerful and has no pain, so for her it's a question of bathing, medicines, meals, and moving around the house. I'm afraid she will try to go back to using the stove. I can make her meals, but I can't be with her 24/7 to keep her out of the kitchen. I need to read up on stove locks again.

Well instead of worrying, I should write down some questions.

Annie in Delaware

Annie - is there someone like a social worker affiliated with the Rehab facility you could talk to about your questions and concerns? I'm thinking of someone who would be looking out for your welfare first? You have a lot of plates spinning in the air.

You are not being selfish at all. If you end up with health problems due to the stress you are under, I don't think you'll be much help to either of your parents. <3

Hopefully you can get some good answers at the Care Team meeting today.

Many, many hugs heading your way from my house today. <3

Lanette
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    Annie- please speak with social services...they are such a wealth of information for both you and your parents.
    Barbie-Annie is adorable and will keep you both busy..
    Ive tried to talk to Tracy. Miles wakes up during the night and knows that mommy will come up and sleep with him
    . She says Kyles job is more important and he is the breadwinner and needs his sleep.And I argued you work full time and do everything else.. keep Carmines bed set up,buy Kyle ear plugs he can close the bedroom door ,for a week she can sleep in Carmines bed there is a door at the top of there stairs. Close that door and then she has to train Miles to sooth himself back to sleep
    She said she will talk to Kyle about it.. she is losing sleep,but its ok for Kyle to sleep ugh.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,884 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate cold medicine.
    Meditation: daily. 16/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 16/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 60 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, 7906,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)74/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 12/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 42/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(1000%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (1000%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0
    500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation. I will have to think on this. I posted pictures of the eclipse that happened here on the Friends Group FB page, and sent some pics to my son and grandson.
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted. I got up in a thankful mood today so I should be able to do this. The eclipse yesterday couldn’t have gone better.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting. I will color, walk, and meditate-all things that are fun and uplifting to me.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society. Teaching adults computer use provides a positive change in my community.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead. My biggest hope for the near future is a holiday without depression and ‘drama’ caused by my family.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future. I think my tenacity will always be helpful to me and others.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time. This will have to wait as I am not feeling too good today. Fall cold.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    Options
    I really should type down responses as I go! I had a whole bunch of comments I wanted to post and have forgotten them all. Today is international SLOTH day. Picture in spoiler:
    qkejuqaaalrw.jpeg
    For some reason, my iPad all of a sudden, won’t let me size the pictures!

I have tested for CoVid and negative. We will just have to postpone booster shots for a while. My cold is much milder than DH, who still has a congested sounding cough. There are reasons for that: I take Zinc (for my thyroid-it helped it a lot!), and Vitamin C just to boost my immunity. Because of those, I was sick starting Wednesday afternoon, all day yesterday and feel a bit better today. I had to cancel my computer class yesterday because I don’t want to spread this. A couple more reasons my DH’s cold is dragging on: he smokes a pipe, and drinks rum almost every night. Soooo, I will continue my good habits! (67 days SOBER) YAY me!!

Sleep type I am mostly a Dolphin but don’t have trouble going to sleep, but feel tired most of the day and hate getting up in the morning. My most productive time is late-morning, early afternoon, so I am a combination of animals! LOL

Pets as we Age I see myself always having a dog. I can’t have cats because I am allergic to them AND hate dealing with litter boxes!

I had more, but can’t remember. So have a GREAT day ladies!

RVRita in Roswell being a sloth for the day!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    I'm having a SLOTH day and it's wonderful! :D

Heather UK xxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Annie Ask lots of questions! Your health is the most important. I am glad your mom is doing well but you must take care of you!
    Lanette I do wear my fitbit. I average around 6000 steps at work. The counter is only 18ft long. I rarely sit even though I have a stool. I do realize that a lot of steps are missed as my left hand isn't moving even if feet are (ie marching or rocking in place). That is one reason I don't take MFP or Fitbit as set in stone. A companion is not out of the question. You should be living for the healthy you Now! I do believe preparing things for those left is important, but then maybe it is freeing for us after that. I feel you are still healing from caregiver role, but you need to live for now.
    Rita I hope you are feeling a little better.
    Allie You are in a tough position. Hugs!

Better get back to work. ;)
    Kylia
  • kevrit
    Options
    My DH found this yesterday. This is from my Senior year in high school. I am on the right with the black hair! Wow, 1974!

Rvrita
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,979 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Kim How terrifying to find fire both in front and behind your mom’s property. I, too, vividly remember Loma Prieta
    I was at work at 333 Market Street in San Francisco. As the building started to sway one of our coworkers who’d suffered a disastrous quake as a child ran screaming through the office. My boss grabbed her and hugged her under a desk. After it settled we boarded a bus to go home to the East bay. As it drove up the entrance ramp it stopped as hundreds of people were walking back down the ramp because sections of the Bay Bridge had collapsed. Boss and I then walked to a friend’s apartment in the Castro. On the way, the Marina fires lit the sky. Later that evening everyone else who was camped out in that friend’s apartment had gotten through to their East Bay friends/family but me. Finally got through to a friend who’d been with Joe and assured me he was ok. The friend then drove to our house and found that the quake had knocked our phone off the hook. That, and a little mortar off our chimney was the only damage to our 1890s Queen Anne Victorian cottage that was only a block and a half from the collapsed section of the Nimitz freeway. Bless the person who’d had the brick foundation capped. Hitched a ride with another co-worker the long way around the north bay home the next morning. Commuted by ferry for the following months, too freaked out to take BART under the bay.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.

That is beyond scary- I was in Santa Rosa so felt it but no damage.
    That was the very first one I had ever felt
    I am glad everything turned out ok but sure you had nightmares for a long time after that.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options