teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,889 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate fly swatters!

Today I set an intention to better appreciate what I have, and to strengthen my self confidence.
    Meditation: daily. 27/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 20/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 75 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, 7906,5204, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 220/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1) My mom called me for a change.
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)74/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 23/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 44/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(1000%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (1000%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation. I will have to think on this. I posted pictures of the eclipse that happened here on the Friends Group FB page, and sent some pics to my son and grandson.
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted. I got up in a thankful mood today so I should be able to do this. The eclipse yesterday couldn’t have gone better.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting. I will color, walk, and meditate-all things that are fun and uplifting to me.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society. Teaching adults computer use provides a positive change in my community.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead. My biggest hope for the near future is a holiday without depression and ‘drama’ caused by my family.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future. I think my tenacity will always be helpful to me and others.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time. This will have to wait as I am not feeling too good today. Fall cold.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you. I have been working on this, so this will be in progress for a while. Because I did this, my mother finally called me to see what was up after 3 weeks of missed calls from me.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague. Will do here.
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize. I will put myself first for care so I can take care of others and my normal tasks.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently. Some of my close family contacted me instead of the other way around, 2. Getting appointments with a cardiologist, and a nephrologist. 3. I am over 2 months sober!
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now? 1. Better financial management, 2. My eyes and cataract surgery, 3. Researching and getting my name on lists of potential places to retire to in 3-4 years.
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face. I need to take a hard look at our budget.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time. I hope to go for a walk and to color today.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’ This helps me to make better decisions when I do this.
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to. I look forward to coloring today.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future. 1. Scientists, 2. Nature, 3. Caring people
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month. What came to find first was getting through the holidays without getting depressed. This will entail some ‘fake it till you make it’ but I can do it!

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    Options
    Ginny - What I find amazing is the utter dark cloud that came down over my entire mind. It reminded me so much of my dark days of depression in the past. I couldn't summon up the least .enthusiasm for anything. Even eating! :o It is reassuring to know it was a physical chemuxtry thing, but also a little humbling to think how dependent we are on our blood/brain barrier. I will definitely mention it in the last chapter of my book. The same thing applies to nutrition, sleep, medication, immune disease etc. Happiness and despair are a blood/brain barrier away.
    I well remember the spectacular hallucinations my mother had with a UTI. Hilarious, but very sad. Afterwards she said that they had been as real as life!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

UTI test strips can be found in the USA and other places I assume, at your local pharmacy. Some Walmart and grocery store pharmacy have them too. I got mine from my insurance company. I didn’t check but I bet they are available on Amazon now as they have a pharmacy now.l

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    afy8j4y96vwa.jpeg
    trzrkl8cft1c.jpeg
    e2uiy4z1m1pf.jpeg
    And Today IS: Saci Day! xwt5ueibsq8z.jpeg
    “ Saci Day, in Portuguese Dia do Saci (pronounced [ˈdʒi.ɐ du sɐˈsi]), is a day created by a Brazilian cultural non-governmental organization named Amigos do Saci to oppose the "American-influenced" holiday of Halloween. The Day of Saci is commemorated on the same day as the American holiday, October 31st. It was designed as a celebration of Brazil's culture and folklore, but few Brazilians commemorate it, even with official support in São Paulo state and a few municipalities.[1]

History
    edit
    See also: Cultural imperialism and Mongrel complex
    Halloween celebrations in Brazil started in English schools, where it was an important celebration. The real push towards the popularization of the festivity was given by industry later. In the last week of October in Brazil, many stores are decorated with pumpkins and dark colors and adorned with Halloween products – most imported from China or Taiwan.

Trying to oppose the American influence on Brazilian culture, deemed a distraction from its rich heritage, the NGO Amigos do Saci established Saci Day. The initiative was strongly supported by artists, educators, politicians and a good portion of society, and was turned into an official date in São Paulo state (Law nº 11.669, January 13th 2004), as well as ten municipalities: São Paulo, São Luiz do Paraitinga, São José do Rio Preto, Guaratinguetá and Embu das Artes (São Paulo); Vitória (Espírito Santo); Poços de Caldas and Uberaba (Minas Gerais); and Fortaleza and Independência (Ceará).[2]
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Kylia - I got my strips from Amazon. What a surprise!!! I've just bought a Canesten pessary set from them , as I always get thrush after antibiotics. Better to have it ready if needed. Hope I won't.
    Pharmacies in the UK won't sell them over the counter to over 65s as it may be a symptom of something more serious. You have to get a doctors prescription. 🙄 I know what it is and why I might need it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Gratitudes:
    Tuesday: motion is lotion, motion is lotion, motion is lotion!
    Monday: Joe fed and walked the pups while I napped, ‘cuz came home from line dancing with very low energy.
    Average weight is 132.2, up this month for the first time since May. Won’t update ticker to keep eyes on the prize (<131.0).
    Indulged in a cronut on the way to dance class. Bad idea. Energy nosedive, needed nap, shorted pups on powerline walk.
    Machka Oww for the tip of the nose!!! The basal cell is between the right nostril and right side of my lip. “Mohs coordinator” will call in 7-10 days to schedule surgery, likely not til January. Implants are to replace the bridge and rotten anchor tooth that needs to be extracted. Consultation for extraction is Dec 5, with extraction some time later, then after 3 months healing, implants IF there’s enough bone mass in the jaw to sustain them. Reminding myself to be grateful that all these procedures are available even though long delayed, far from home and very expen$ive. ;{ Your art of saying “no” speaks to me today. Struggling with a task I’ve been asked to take over. I’d be good at it, it wouldn’t be hard, but I don’t really want to take on the long term responsibility. Somehow I seem to think If I don’t do “X” then it will fall apart. What an ego! :noway:
    Lisa I use the white unembellished Corelle dishes and bowls we got for our wedding every day. Gave the coffee cups away years ago. ;) Taking $500 to perform a service then not doing it, of course it is a crime! SMH.
    Debbie really glad your DH likes the Lily white chocolate. I tried the chips, :sick: weren’t sweet enough for me, gave ‘em away.
    Joan thanks for the erythritol info, can’t tolerate it, makes me windy :naughty:
    Belated welcome @marlablock9404 and @kiteflyer105 Hope! I used to have a two Coke-a-day habit, now maybe once a month, if ever. You can do this!
    Lanette not all the geezers here grow beards, but long hair and pony tails abound. ;):love: the pic of your DH when he was hale, strong and straight.
    Joy what are sour head cabbages?
    Only through pg 61 but time for PT.
    10/30: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, line dance class, Jeopardy walking. Steps:8698
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-3 CI<CO net=303 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, paid Da-Tone Rock, library, Post Office, reconciled and paid MasterCard. Wt: 132.9 that’s what midnight cocoa and cookies do. Next time I feel chilled, try a cup of hot bone broth and a warm beach towel!
    10/29: Move:1 set PT, dogs to powerline, Jeopardy walking. Steps:8698
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-42 CI<CO net=275 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, corrected council minutes v2, church, play with plants Wt: 130.7
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Next door's decorations. :p:o
    xa7sz6q9ms9w.jpg
    a6ipqo1ezj3y.jpg

Heather UK xxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Well wish me luck... Im going to test drive a Honda HR-V sport this Thursday for a possible lease ..tomorrow out to lunch with Doris...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I have noticed something very strange - if I stop eating two or three hours before I go to bed, it seems I'm up 2 or 3 times a night to pee. Like having a UTI. But if I eat something with carbs like a piece of toast right before bed, I get better sleep - maybe only waking up once . And if I take an ibuprofen because my back or knee is achey, I can make it through the whole night. There must be some low-level inflammation that is waking me up. Any ideas? Another question for Dr. Lisa and Dr. Matt.

Machka - you wondered what I was doing with all the eggs. When my three hens were laying (not counting Almy who is a slow starter if she starts at all!) I'd get 2 or 3 eggs a day and I'd eat them for my high-protein breakfast. 25 to 30 grams to start off my day. I've put eggs back on my grocery list.

Lanette B)

I find I sleep better if I have a spoonful of raw honey before bed. :)

I'm up 2 or 3 times in the night, but I've got a prolapsed bladder from my cancer surgeries.

You're fortunate to be able to eat eggs. I like them, and used to be able to eat them, but not any more.

Machka in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 57min 56sec, 91elev, 3.08ap, 82ahr, 101mhr, 6.08mi= 586c
    Strava app = 745c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 24.06min, 177elev, 71aw, 12.7amph, 101ahr, 133mhr, 5.08mi= 165c
    Strava app = 98c
    Zwift stats- 24.07min, 179elev, 71aw, 60arpm, 12.66amph, 5.09mi= 99c

Total cal 751
  • Machka9
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

zdambv1l6md6.jpeg
    1. Write down three things you can look forward to this month.
    Daylight Savings Time!! - which occurred early in the morning of October 1.
    Spring's developments
    Thanksgiving

2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time)
    There's lots to be optimistic about!
    Daylight in evenings so we can start exercising outdoors after work. :)
    Work going well. Finished that instruction manual and got myself in a good position to make improvements to the project I'm working on. :)
    Reading books. Colouring. Doing sudokus.
    Getting stuff done on my home computer.
    The garden!
    My family.

3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you.
    Taking steps toward the "organise the house" project.

4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list.
    I've actually done quite a few things already today. :)

5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good.
    I'm definitely not a pure optimist. Too much has happened, especially in the last 5 years, for me to call myself an optimist, but there are a lot of good things going on too.

6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better.
    I know!!

7. Look for the good in people around you today.
    Most people have been really helpful and nice lately.

8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    Not quite yet. Maybe at some point next week.

9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    I don't make a lot of goals these days.

10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    I've been reflecting on what I've accomplished over the past 5 years. I look back and wonder how I did it.

5sfea42n5u8l.png

11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    It helps to try to look at things from other perspectives.

12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    There's lots to be positive about. :) Loved Rita's post with a list of all our positive things. :)

13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    Asking the pharmacist for a recommendation to overcome this allergic reaction?!?

14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    One constructive thing I've done today is to wash my pillowcases to ensure they don't have any essential oil residue!!

15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    Being able to drive when I need to.

16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    Cycling.
    Colouring.
    Reading.

17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    Quietness.

18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    Oh yeah. :)

19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    More tenacity

20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    Emails.

21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    I don't worry much about what others expect of me.

22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    pcisdrun4l60.png

23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    Absolutely!!
    1. Sleep. Cool. Quiet. Comfy.

24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    Lots of sleep
    Read 3 books, done 2.5 colourings
    Family

25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    Family
    Work
    I'm not sure I have a 3rd priority at the moment!!

26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    Thinking.

27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    Working on relaxation.
    I don't think I've felt relaxed for at least 5.5 years.

28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?'
    Lots of things won't matter. :)
    Some things will.

29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    There have been several recently. :)

30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    Education
    Exercise
    God

31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.
    We're hosting/organising another cycling event mid-November.
    Plus lots of gardening!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Allie - My biggest argument with a car lease is that, much like renting a house, at the end of the time you are done with the lease or rent, you have nothing. No trade-in on another vehicle means you're starting behind the eight-ball with buying a vehicle. When you do have a trade-in, you have wiggle room. I talked the guy down more than $2,000 because he could play with the value of the trade-in as well as the selling price of the car. I got into one lease, but I worried the whole time about how many miles I had left before I violated the lease, and every ding and dent. And when the lease was up, I had to give it back to them, and that was the end of it.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR

I've heard that some people are able to get a lease deal where, after a couple years, they hand over the vehicle and get the newest model, and just keep going ... always driving a new vehicle.

M in Oz