Second week no loss but gain

Options
This is my second week dieting with this app and I have gained weight not lost. I’m quite a bit frustrated. I have hit my goals for activity on my Apple watch and stayed on target for my calories, so what is wrong?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    Other than being patient as the above response encourages, I would add the following:

1) Make sure you are using accurate information when logging your food and drink. The database is, for the most part, user submitted. That means there are wrong entries. Also, generic entries like "1 Piece of cheesecake" or anything labeled "homemade" are of little use unless you know the actual recipe that the nutritional information is for. Even with packaged foods, over time and in different locations the recipe changes making the nutritional information wrong. Starting out, always strive to verify the nutritional information.

2) Not properly weighing or measuring your portions. I know, it seems like a pain, but you would be amazed what a difference it can make, especially with calorie dense things like say nut butters or oils. If you are eyeballing amounts or using volume measures (cups, tablespoon, milliliters, etc) for solids (this would include ground things like nut butters) then it is likely your amounts are incorrect. As much as possible measure all liquids with volume measures and all solids with a kitchen scale, ideally one with grams amounts.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    You also mention activities. Did you start anything new exercises? This often causes water retention for muscle repair. It's not bodyfat (what you want to lose) but again fluid (still shows up on the scale) And these can be quite substantial and take a while to get rid off. And then, there might be the magical night where you have to pee, possibly a few times, and the next morning your weight is lower.
  • kbrown1527
    kbrown1527 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Use more than one method of measurement. The scale is a good one of course, but that doesn’t capture all progress! Measure and track inches lost, take progress pictures, etc to capture the whole picture. Don’t be discouraged!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
  • fmh1512
    fmh1512 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’ve been told by two trainers ~ don’t take the exercise/activity off of your calorie counting… not sure if you’re doing this? Eg if you’re on say 1500 calories and you’ve done exercise of -300 calories… your food should stay at 1500 calories (not 1800)…
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    fmh1512 wrote: »
    Hi. I’ve been told by two trainers ~ don’t take the exercise/activity off of your calorie counting… not sure if you’re doing this? Eg if you’re on say 1500 calories and you’ve done exercise of -300 calories… your food should stay at 1500 calories (not 1800)…

That's not how MFP was designed to work. Your trainers' advice is correct if someone uses a non-MFP TDEE calculator to get a starting calorie estimate. If someone uses MFP according to its documentation/instructions, the process is different.

I ate back my exercise calories all through loss (from obese to healthy weight in less than a year), and for 7+ years of maintenance since. It's worked fine for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    fmh1512 wrote: »

There are cases when this may be true, but you don't give us any context at all.

IF you're extremely overweight and exercising at a low intensity for less than an hour? Probably fine.

IF you (or your trainer) used a TDEE calculator, then it may be okay.

IF you're a woman, and small in stature, maybe okay.

I'd say though, if it's exceptionally difficult to stay at that calorie level and/or you start feeling really fatigued, losing hair, irritable, lose concentration - then eat more.

I agree with Ann above. I ate the exercise-earned calories. I lost weight in line with my goals.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons that can be happening, in two weeks it could be as simple as water weight. It could also be if you've raised activity you're building muscle while losing fat. (This is why measurements are really good so you can see those improvements). There is also a chance you're getting too few calories...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Uptaking exercise after a long layoff or being new to it will invetiably cause someone to usually GAIN weight the first week or two. Just continue. It will come off if you're consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons that can be happening, in two weeks it could be as simple as water weight. It could also be if you've raised activity you're building muscle while losing fat. (This is why measurements are really good so you can see those improvements). There is also a chance you're getting too few calories...

Sincerely, I wish muscle gain could be that fast.

In two weeks, no matter the exercise stimulus, muscle mass gain will be little to none, especially with a calorie deficit in the picture. Strength increases fast at first, and there's water retention for muscle repair, but muscle mass gain is negligible under these circumstances, sadly.

Mass gain under the best of circumstances is slow, hard work. I fervently wish it were otherwise.
  • evileyefirefly
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Sincerely, I wish muscle gain could be that fast.

In two weeks, no matter the exercise stimulus, muscle mass gain will be little to none, especially with a calorie deficit in the picture. Strength increases fast at first, and there's water retention for muscle repair, but muscle mass gain is negligible under these circumstances, sadly.

Mass gain under the best of circumstances is slow, hard work. I fervently wish it were otherwise.

I get that, stick to it though. Its a process overall, and will take some time. I've definitely gone weeks with no loss. After a few more weeks if you're not seeing any progress I'd start with changing calories. I went from 1500 to 1650 and lost 3 lbs. Its also good to listen to your body, if you're constantly hungry you may need more calories or change your eating to add fiber/proteins to keep you full longer. Don't get discouraged, keep with it. Losses will come.
  • evileyefirefly
    Options
    This is my second week dieting with this app and I have gained weight not lost. I’m quite a bit frustrated. I have hit my goals for activity on my Apple watch and stayed on target for my calories, so what is wrong?

How goes the battle?
  • sydditt
    sydditt Posts: 509 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Some things you could try… Calories are not all the same. Make sure you’re getting enough protein and fiber in those calories. Try eating non-inflammatory foods to keep hormones in balance. Add in strength workouts for body fat burn. I got frustrated after a couple of weeks and bought a smart scale. They aren’t that expensive and it was helpful to see that my BMR is more like 1580 for calorie in-take instead of the 1200 I assumed it was. Join a month-long fitness challenge. I used to give up after a couple of weeks, and I’ve actually been losing weight because I pressed through and stuck with the challenge.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Calories are kind of equal though. They are just a measure of energy, as is a meter or a foot a measure of length. That's all. Some macros and some types of food keep people more full than others, but that's totally individual. Every diet plan that says AVOID XYZ! does not take individuality into account.

Like others have said: weight loss takes time and commitment. And there are so many external factors that have nothing at all to do with fat loss, but cause the weight to stall or go up on the scale. Just to give you an idea: My weight has been the same for three days now. No change. Could be an increase in waterweight (yeah, it's not fat), but it's more likely poop weight as I didn't have a proper bowel movement for 2 days. And yeah, that stuff does have a weight.