Body Dysmorphia After Weight Loss: Open Conversation

Options
Hi, wanted to share a little bit about how mentally draining and emotionally losing weight can be.

After losing 45lbs, I want to be honest and say I still hate my body and maybe it’s even worst now. When I look at before and after I see woman who have filled out and made a significant difference in there appearance. I still have some huge arms, big back rolls, and love handles. I do believe taking pictures has eased it especially looking back on when I started but I just wish I would’ve filled out and shaped properly in the right places too.

I do think losing weight has became an unhealthy obsession for me as well. When I eat unhealthy even if it’s just something simple like a cookie, I have this large amount of guilt. I only feel good when I’m within my calorie limit and when it’s something healthy. I have incorporated a lot of protein for craving but I also fasted. After I did the fast for a few weeks it helped my appetite but now it’s hard for me to eat regularly because I have gotten used to not being hungry. Even my family has commented on my eating and obsession with losing weight, encouraging me to speak to a therapist.

I know this is supposed to be an inspiration board but I would love some thoughts, maybe even if you going through similar issues.

Replies

• NemoAgender
    NemoAgender Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have an eating disorder. I would seriously seek therapy.
  • reetpargmae
    reetpargmae Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I would recommend Jennifer Lawson (you can find her in IG or FB, she has helped me beyound words). Just so you would know that I was looking stage fit, but felt like heavily overweight... I am good now. It has been a very long journey for me as well. But, I am finally in that space where I can (sometimes or also) only eat sweets and party snacks, for a day, get a bit swollen for a day or two, but as I go on with just normal food, I don't put on weight and still feel great. So, I wanted to tell you, that you can also be that person ;)

I also recommend NathaliaMeloFit a lot. Jennifer is the main coach there (I come from #melosquad).
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    This is such a good discussion. I like the theme that you can heal from body dysmorphia, since that message isn't always sent. For a long time I thought that once you have it, you just have it, that there's nothing to be done. I'm very happy to have been wrong!

I don't really like how my body looks, though I like it a lot better than I used to. I don't know if I even have body dysmorphia for that reason. I thought I looked terrible when I was 245, and now that I'm 162 I have a lot fewer issues with that. For example I like the way my face looks now, my shoulders, my legs. I still have issues with my stomach area because it's floppy, still has significant fat deposits, and is quite uncomfortable when I exercise too hard. I wouldn't want to show it off. I'm never going to say it looks good or that it's beautiful, because it's not, but there are parts of me that I now love the look of.

Bringing this up as another perspective - I think true body dysmorphia is when all the various health and appearance issues are solved and when the person still hates how they look. For anyone who feels that way I wish them self-compassion and healing.
  • Psychopasta
    Psychopasta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good discussion, thank you all.
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think your thoughts are normal. It takes a while to adjust to your new body image and you have to be somewhat obsessed with what you eat to lose 45 pounds. People who are not trying to lose weight might see it as obsessive though.

I've been doing IF for several years and have lost 65 pounds. My appetite is normal or perhaps less than normal because I've gotten used to ignoring it, and it's helped me to maintain my weight loss for a year now. I still see that I'm fat (I am) and don't like my saggy skin (turkey neck and bulldog jowls) that has come from the weight loss, but I don't want to lose any more or the skin will look even worse. I'm happy with the weight I'm at. I feel good and this weight is easier to maintain.

I too feel guilty when I eat the wrong foods (sweets are my weakness), too much or too often, but I get back on my plan and don't beat myself up over my indiscretions. I weigh every day to keep myself mindful.

• ilove2volley
    ilove2volley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Society is so obsessed with how women look. It's hard not to fall into that trap. I agree with your family and others that therapy might help you. Are you exercising? That can help get rid of stress and bad feelings. Do you have a support friend who is losing weight or being encouraging? That's been a big help to me. It's so important to have friends or family around you who are supportive of YOU and love you for who you are inside, not outside. Also, the loss should make you healthier and that's something to celebrate. Good luck and I hope you get the help you need. Weight loss is as much if not more mental than physical.
  • Rodney_Mckay
    Rodney_Mckay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a break from your dieting. Did you do a straight cut for several months? Usually it is best to aim for 3 months tops followed by another 3 months of maintenance. It really breaks you down mentally if you don't take those breaks. Eating 4/5 meals clean and healthy is normal. That means 20% of your food can be pretty free. I don't suggest you eat 20% of oreos in your diet nor to give yourself a wildcard for binging on a bucket of mayo, but you definitely shouldn't feel bad about eating something a bit more indulgent from time to time, and definitely not for a single frigging cookie. If I were you I would just go maintenance for now and build a healthier relationship with food in general and well, yourself. We can be pretty tough on ourselves, so yea don't do that, life is meant to be enjoyed. As for body dysmorphia, I don't know what to say other than 98% of the people you will ever meet in life don't give a flying *kitten* about how you look, so why should you?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a break from your dieting. Did you do a straight cut for several months? Usually it is best to aim for 3 months tops followed by another 3 months of maintenance. It really breaks you down mentally if you don't take those breaks. Eating 4/5 meals clean and healthy is normal. That means 20% of your food can be pretty free. I don't suggest you eat 20% of oreos in your diet nor to give yourself a wildcard for binging on a bucket of mayo, but you definitely shouldn't feel bad about eating something a bit more indulgent from time to time, and definitely not for a single frigging cookie. If I were you I would just go maintenance for now and build a healthier relationship with food in general and well, yourself. We can be pretty tough on ourselves, so yea don't do that, life is meant to be enjoyed. As for body dysmorphia, I don't know what to say other than 98% of the people you will ever meet in life don't give a flying *kitten* about how you look, so why should you?

Yes to all this! Many people don't realize that it may not be ideal to be in a deficit for more than 3-6 months. And then it's a good idea to take a break at maintenence for at least 12 weeks (3 months). Lots of people talking about a cheat meal or a cheat day, but it takes a few months to recover from the stress of months of calorie deficit. Of course, some people can run a deficit for years and be fine... but many will not.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!