settings~2lb per week weight loss

Options
In my settings, it asks how much I'd like to lose a week. I checked the box of 2lbs a week. Though it will only give me a "projected weight loss" of 1.4lbs per week. How can I change this??? If I wanted to lose 1.5lbs a week, I would have checked that box. :noway: My calorie goal is set at 1200 so I don't really think I should go lower. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Go back into your settings and change it to 1 lb a week, a more realistic goal for you.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    In order to make a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day (necessary for a two pound per week weight loss), MFP would have to recommend a calorie amount lower than 1200, which it will not do because it is difficult to get adequate nutrients and preserve muscle mass on a caloric intake that low. You are choosing too aggressive a weight loss for your needs (not wants, needs). The reason the option is there to choose a more aggressive weight loss is because there are people who are actually overweight or obese, and it may be healthy for them to lose so aggressively.

Thus, you are correct. You shouldn't go any lower. There's nothing to "change" unless you scale it back to 1 pound a week, which is a decent idea (alhtough I do sympathize, you are not the only person who wants the weight gone NOW).
    Thank you. I figured if mfp has all of my info (weight, activity, goals, etc.) They wouldn't give "unrealistic goals" I'm not going to scale back if I only lose 1-2lbs a week now..I'd freak out if I get to a stand still! :wink:
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    Go back into your settings and change it to 1 lb a week, a more realistic goal for you.
    2 lbs is very realistic for me. Not sure why you think it's not.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

because you don't have more than 75 lbs to lose.
  • JagerLewis
    Options

because you don't have more than 75 lbs to lose.
    I wasn't aware anyone could see my current weight! Maybe it's ESP...Hmm....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

Because it isn't. With the amount of weight you have to lose, you don't want to create too large a calorie deficit. As you've seen, you can't eat 800 a day!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    your ticker says 56? :ohwell:
  • sweetpeadarcy
    Options
    If that is a current photo of you then you don't have much to lose (take that as the compliment it is meant to be). So losing 2 lbs a week is only unrealistic in the fact that to lose 2 lbs a week you would not get enough calories. Hope that makes sense. We all have the same struggles whether you have 5 lbs to lose or 100. Good luck to you!
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    My ticker is set as how many lbs lost....Not set at a goal.
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    If that is a current photo of you then you don't have much to lose (take that as the compliment it is meant to be). So losing 2 lbs a week is only unrealistic in the fact that to lose 2 lbs a week you would not get enough calories. Hope that makes sense. We all have the same struggles whether you have 5 lbs to lose or 100. Good luck to you!
    Thank you...but this is a photo when I started putting weight on..a little over a year ago. .I want to get to that and smaller.
  • crystalrp
    crystalrp Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says 10 pounds lost with a goal of 56.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My ticker is set as how many lbs lost....Not set at a goal.

Actually, your ticker says 10 lb lost with a total goal of 56 lbs. Which means you have 46lbs left to lose until you get to the goal you entered.

If you want to be all snarky about the advice you're getting, that's fine. You can manually set your goal to whatever cals you want and let us know how it goes.
  • JagerLewis
    Options

It does not say goal..I have it set so no one can see my weight at any point. It just shows how many lbs lost.The ticker doesn't know if I have 10, 50, or 100 lbs to lose.....It just shows progress.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

It does not say goal..I have it set so no one can see my weight at any point. It just shows how many lbs lost.The ticker doesn't know if I have 10, 50, or 100 lbs to lose.....It just shows progress.

This is your ticker:

35919878.png

Clearly states 10lbs lost with a goal of 56. Good grief.

ETA: If you want accurate advice when you post these types of threads, providing detailed information is necessary, so it's actually a *good* thing that your ticker shows you have ~46lbs to go (it would actually be helpful to know your actual weight, height, activity level, etc too). I would also agree that 2lbs/week is overly ambitious. Can it be done? Sure. But there's a good chance you're going to be very unhappy in the process, because you will not be feeding your body enough.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

during set up, you said you wanted to weigh a certain amount so, your ticker is reflecting the amount of pounds you would need to lose to get to your goal...
  • JagerLewis
    Options

This is your ticker:

35919878.png

CLEARLY does not say goal!!! When I lose 56, the ticker will show more to lose!! Why is everyone so nasty here? It gives MFP a bad rap! :grumble:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

This is your ticker:

35919878.png

Are we the only ones who can see that?? LOL :tongue:

OP, you're getting some good advice here - you'll stand a much better chance of reaching your goals and keeping the weight off if you go about it the right way. We all want to lose the weight as quickly as possible, but having too aggressive a goal leads to too low a calorie goal, which generally leads to burn out, "falling off the wagon", and yo-yo dieting.

Slow and steady!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

This is your ticker:

35919878.png

CLEARLY does not say goal!!! When I lose 56, the ticker will show more to lose!! Why is everyone so nasty here? It gives MFP a bad rap! :grumble:

The current goal you have set up is to lose 56lbs- which is why it's at the end of your ticker.

In other words, the number at the end of the ticker is the *current* goal you've set. That may not be your ending goal (ie; you may want to lose MORE than 56lbs) but that's not what's showing up currently. Additionally, it will NOT show more to lose unless you manually update your goal.

No one is being nasty- we're trying to explain how the ticker works, and you are choosing to fight us on it.

Looks like you quoted me before I posted my edit on my previous post. I also added this:

"ETA: If you want accurate advice when you post these types of threads, providing detailed information is necessary, so it's actually a *good* thing that your ticker shows you have ~46lbs to go (it would actually be helpful to know your actual weight, height, activity level, etc too). I would also agree that 2lbs/week is overly ambitious. Can it be done? Sure. But there's a good chance you're going to be very unhappy in the process, because you will not be feeding your body enough."

Edited for typo.
  • CSJAN12014
    Options
    Put very simply... Why ask for good advice... and you've been given some very good advice IMO... if you are going to totally disregard it? People on here are trying to help you... flippant replies will not help you... maybe a change in attitude will !!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The only nastiness I'm seein' is your posts. :flowerforyou:

Possible case of the hangries here?