settings~2lb per week weight loss

Options

Replies

• JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP. Bit of a bullying mentality on here.

Embarrassing.

You'll get the hang of it. Stick with it! xx

...lolwut? The OP is the only hostile person here.
    No. I was never hostile. I'm generally a very happy person...I only started dishing back.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

PS Know-It-Alls so the girl doesn't know how the ticker works yet and you do... Congratulations. Now give yourselves a BIG pat on the back.

PPS Want to know how to motivate someone? It takes patience and a 5:1 ratio praise to criticism. Take it from a teacher.

great.

Dont you LOVE the teacher who misses the real bully and the wrong kids get in trouble?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks. :smile:

Try not to judge them too harshly.

Hunger, when combined with success can do strange things to people... ;-) xx
    Who's hungry?? Not me, my body is well-fueled fat burning machine on 1900+ cals a day, thanks - but possibly the one who set herself too aggressive a goal and then bit the heads off of those who NICELY offered advice? But I digress.

Way to be self-righteous and indirectly condescending to everyone in the topic. :wink:

I think my ignore list might be growing.... :drinker:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

I'd be embarrassed too, if I was a teacher and didn't know what bullying was.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

Embarrassing.

PS Know-It-Alls so the girl doesn't know how the ticker works yet and you do... Congratulations. Now give yourselves a BIG pat on the back.

PPS Want to know how to motivate someone? It takes patience and a 5:1 ratio praise to criticism. Take it from a teacher.

great.

Dont you LOVE the teacher who misses the real bully and the wrong kids get in trouble?
    Ain't that the truth!
  • JagerLewis
    Options

:laugh: I hear ya!!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Bet OP still does not understand her ticker. :ohwell:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Pass. Judge me harshly. Judge me as an adult. Treat me like an adult. Expect me to act like an adult. Expect me to expect you to act like an adult. Unless a person wants to be treated like a child, they should show the maturity of an adult.

NjEcS9a.gif
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Ironic post is ironic.
  • JagerLewis
    Options

Who's hungry?? Not me, my body is well-fueled fat burning machine on 1900+ cals a day, thanks - but possibly the one who set herself too aggressive a goal and then bit the heads off of those who NICELY offered advice? But I digress.

Way to be self-righteous and indirectly condescending to everyone in the topic. :wink:

My goal is not aggressive....It's set at 1200 cal...Just like many other people on here......
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I just read a study last week done on children who are now young adults that grew up with the "everybody wins" attitude we've had pushed on us for the past couple decades. They've discovered that those young adults now feel very entitled because they've always been praised for just existing and have never had to earn their way. They can't find or hold jobs because, believe it or not, bosses don't spend all day praising you for just showing up!

Bullying isn't acceptable but we've gone so far the other way now that if you say anything that another person perceives as not what they wanted to hear it's called bullying. When someone asks for advice and it is given it is not bullying especially when the person asking for the advice comes back on the attack. Time for Rule #5 of the Velominati!
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer a 5:1 ratio of bacon to cauliflower.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Jeez...everybody play nice. Á few responders got snarky after OP got pissy. Everybody play nice.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

Perhaps this applies to teaching kindergarten. When you teach adults, the method used is called a compliment sandwich.

It works, like this:
    Congrats on trying to lose weight.

You should set your goal to 1lb for the amount you want to lose because 2lbs is not sustainable for the amount you have to lose according to your ticker

Good luck with your goals.

When the OP then argues against your good advice you've given for free then you have every right to correct their mistakes.

If no one corrected people's mistakes and went, 'there, there, you tried, that's what matters,' humanity would no longer exist. Learn to open your eyes and ears. You might learn something.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Pass. Judge me harshly. Judge me as an adult. Treat me like an adult. Expect me to act like an adult. Expect me to expect you to act like an adult. Unless a person wants to be treated like a child, they should show the maturity of an adult.

NjEcS9a.gif

:drinker:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

My goal is not aggressive....It's set at 1200 cal...Just like many other people on here......
    I checked the box of 2lbs a week. Though it will only give me a "projected weight loss" of 1.4lbs per week.

2lbs per week is too aggressive for your weight. To get 2lbs per week loss your calories would have to drop below 1200 calories and that is not healthy. Your original post states that you want to lose 2lbs per week and that you are unhappy that MFP is only giving you a projected loss of 1.4lbs. MFP is saying you can't lose 2lbs per week in a healthy way. If you enter the correct current weight and goal weight when you set up your profile, then there is only a 56lb difference between the 2 as represented by your ticker. If your entered the wrong information when setting up your profile, then you need to correct it so that you can get accurate calorie goals.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    28837280.jpg
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    In my settings, it asks how much I'd like to lose a week. I checked the box of 2lbs a week. Though it will only give me a "projected weight loss" of 1.4lbs per week. How can I change this??? If I wanted to lose 1.5lbs a week, I would have checked that box. :noway: My calorie goal is set at 1200 so I don't really think I should go lower. Any advice would be appreciated!!

OP: I read everything, and I am going to try to answer the original question. MFP defaults to 1200 calories if the weekly goal you entered puts you below this. It's a safety issue -- a lot of people (including the developers of this program) feel that, unless you are under the supervision of a doctor, it's not very safe to eat less that 1200 calories a day (and generally, not net less, but I won't get into that). So your goal to lose 2 pounds a week puts you below the 1200 minimum MFP will give.

If you decide to ignore the advice of MFP and other, you can go in and manually set your calories. Take your maintenance calories and subtract 1000. You will then get a projected loss of 2 pounds a week.

Of course, you will have very few calories to work with. And, from the experience of many people here, you're more likely to stall out more quickly on your weight loss. There are plenty of risks to eating such a low calorie amount … for example, higher chance that you lose muscle along with fat, higher chance of becoming deficient in micro or macro nutrients, etc. But, if you are aware of all those risks and decide that you want to go for losing 2 lbs/week, that is your prerogative. You are, however, going to get a warning message from MFP that you aren't eating enough calories.

Good luck with whichever way you chose to go.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

Best of luck to you! If you have the time, search or browse the forums for topics with things like "1200 and not losing", or "I'm eating under goal, but not losing" or "set on 1200 but can't stick to it, so hungry, so tired, no energy, burnt out" etc, etc. Many of us have been here for years and we see these types of posts on a daily basis. We offer tried and true advice.

But do it your way - and like I said, best of luck to you, I hope you get the results you want. You asked why MFP wouldn't let you do something and we answered with what you didn't want to hear. I don't know what else to tell ya.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Knowledge imparted with sarcasm and impatience will fall on deaf ears. Whether that knowledge is correct or not is irrelevant.

I really dislike the 'you're not listening to me because you are wrong and stupid' attitude on here. It makes my toes curl. That isn't how people learn - all you're doing is alienating them.

Groups are intimidating when you first join them. It's stressful. If a couple of people (like the 3 or 4 on this thread) give a new poster a hard time and no one chips in to tell them to rein it in it's easy to assume everyone is against you.

Am I the only one that can see this?