settings~2lb per week weight loss

Options

Replies

• JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Seriously got out of hand here. The only thing I wanted to know was about the lbs/week. That's all. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week...How is it bad to shoot for the higher number? If it happened to be so bad or unhealthy..MFP wouldn't offer it as a choice. I wouldn't try to lose more than that anyways. I'm not starving myself by any means. I'm just losing weight with the help of this site, as I'm sure all of you are. Good luck with everyone's losses!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I came, I read, I'm leaving.

Good luck, OP. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Seriously got out of hand here. The only thing I wanted to know was about the lbs/week. That's all. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week...How is it bad to shoot for the higher number? If it happened to be so bad or unhealthy..MFP wouldn't offer it as a choice. I wouldn't try to lose more than that anyways. I'm not starving myself by any means. I'm just losing weight with the help of this site, as I'm sure all of you are. Good luck with everyone's losses!

With around FORTY SIX pounds to lose, you should pick "LOSE 1 POUND PER WEEK"

If you lied all bets are off.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In for butthurt.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    There are many, many reasons why setting your deficit to 2 pounds per week is a bad idea.

Suggested reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet .

Eat more food. Lose MORE fat. Be happier.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

MFP also *clearly* recommends setting it for 1 lb per week when you set it up. I guess you missed that part.
  • panda_shinigami
    Options
    perfect :smile:

OP has probably come on with good intentions...

in fairness though, your ticker clearly shows that you have lost 10lbs towards a target of 56 lbs, and the 2lbs per week loss is probably not sustainable. i commend you for having ambition with your weightloss but would probably recommend toning it down a bit for long term benefits.

can't we all get along?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Serious answer. Your body can only lose so much fat at a time. It's more if you're heavier, but the closer you get to goal the less fat you can lose at a time. If you push your body past its limit it will burn lean mass (muscle) instead. You don't want that. Your muscle is what makes you look good naked. Just be patient. Eat the calories MFP gave you, log accurately, succeed.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way.

You selected 2lbs per week loss.
    MFP gave you a goal of 1200 with a projected loss of 1.4lbs.
    It means that you cannot safely lose more than 1.4lbs a week without dropping calories to an unhealthy level. It is pretty much saying that for your weight and goal weight, it is not healthy for you to lose more than 1.4lbs a week.

Oh and your ticker won't change when you lose 56lbs unless you change your goal weight. The number under the picture represents the number of pounds between your current weight and the goal weight you entered when you set up your profile. This is the same for every member on here. The only difference is you can choose between CW to GW or 0lbs to Goal pounds lost. That is why everyone is basing advice off of 56lbs to lose.
  • CSJAN12014
    Options

MFP also *clearly* recommends setting it for 1 lb per week when you set it up. I guess you missed that part.

It also 'defaulted you back to 1.4 lbs per week... meaning that even MFP doesn't agree with you !!!!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It also 'defaulted you back to 1.4 lbs per week... meaning that even MFP doesn't agree with you !!!!

Indeed. The more you have to lose, the more you CAN lose in a week. The less you have to lose....opposite. As you get closer to your body's idea of homeostasis, the harder it will be to lose the weight you did when you had a lot to lose.

Wait until you have less than 10-15 lbs to lose. Then 0.5 lb/week is a difficult push. I'm only about 15 lbs away from my goal f* me if I can lose an ounce a week.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP. Bit of a bullying mentality on here.

Embarrassing.

You'll get the hang of it. Stick with it! xx

PS Know-It-Alls so the girl doesn't know how the ticker works yet and you do... Congratulations. Now give yourselves a BIG pat on the back.

PPS Want to know how to motivate someone? It takes patience and a 5:1 ratio praise to criticism. Take it from a teacher.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    OP - you've already gotten the answers.

At the info you inputted, you cannot lose 2 lbs per week without going below 1200 calories per day, and MFP won't set it like that. Now. That said. If you didn't input your info right, then go back and retool. Or better yet, read the 'in place of a road map' post that was linked earlier, as it is excellent.

1-2 lbs per week is good but as others have already pointed out, picking 2 lbs as 'better' when you don't have tons and tons to lose may actually be a worse strategy long-term. Nothing wrong with slow and steady. The closer you are to goal the harder it can be to lose sometimes, you know? Those last 10 pounds and all that!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

Embarrassing definitely applies to some people on this thread.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

...lolwut? The OP is the only hostile person here.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

Embarrassing definitely applies to some people on this thread.

Indeed. Plenty of solid advice met with insults by another OP who refuses to listen. And of course, that is bullying by the posters.

MFP . . .
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all week.

Edited because this poster edited. So please show us how you would have done it. In the face of the OPs rude responses to helpful posts, please demonstrate the 5:1 ratio you would have used on a kindergartner. Show me how it works so I can try it in the future and earn a gold star for being patient with rude people
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

PS Know-It-Alls so the girl doesn't know how the ticker works yet and you do... Congratulations. Now give yourselves a BIG pat on the back.

PPS Want to know how to motivate someone? It takes patience and a 5:1 ratio praise to criticism. Take it from a teacher.

1. Why would you be embarrassed by something other people said or did?
    2. It was explained about the ticker. She said she did the deception on purpose so we wouldn't know her weight.
    3. 5:1 works both ways. We aren't in grade school, and we don't have to treat anyone as children. This is an adults-only forum where all opinions are allowed and civility is met with civility.

We're not in Kansas, Dorothy.

edit because the quoted person edited. :grumble: I hate that.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Embarrassing.

Thanks. :smile:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Thanks. :smile:

Try not to judge them too harshly.

Hunger, when combined with success can do strange things to people... ;-) xx