Post-Degree recovery

Hey everyone! I’ve just finished a masters program, it was a long road where my self care, sleep, nutrition, and health all went on a pause. So I would love some input on picking healthy habits back up after 2 years putting my attention elsewhere.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Just start. Get good nutrition. Get good sleep. Move everyday
  • gigila72
    gigila72 Posts: 32 Member
    Congratulations! Focus on one area at a time and set small goals to remain motivated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,497 Member
    Pick an easy, positive change to start. Practice it until it's automatic. Use that flush of success to energize you for picking the next-easiest, positive change . . . .

Should work pretty well to create a new, practical set of habits in your new life situation.

Best wishes!

P.S. As someone old (68), I wish I'd gotten fit and reached/stayed at a healthy weight decades sooner than age 59-60. My life would've been better in so many ways. You're doing great, choosing this shift in habits now.
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 121 Member
    Congrats on your degree! I also recently completed a grad school program and I definitely hear you on needing recovery. Few things that help me…
    - Like others said, just start. Start with one habit and build from there. For me it was waking up before my family to start my day. It could also be focusing on hydration or just practicing awareness of food intake through logging.
    - Honor where you are right now. Depending on how recently you graduated, your body might need more nourishment and recovery rather than focus on weight loss. For me that meant more home cooked meals, connecting with relationships I had neglected, and engaging in a hobby or two that bring me joy.
    - If it’s available to you, it can be helpful to meet with a nutrition expert to evaluate your current habits and symptoms and see where your body might need some recovery and/or supplementation. I found this very helpful to refocus on my health.
    - Focus on getting sleep regulated. For me that meant sticking to a consistent bed time and wake time. Getting good sleep will impact everything else. And sleep gets all kinds of messed up in grad school!

I hope that helps. And again, congrats to you! 🎉
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 121 Member
    I also realize I’m replying about the importance of sleep at 4am my time 😆🤦‍♀️ Thanks, roomies!
  • cbrosa
    cbrosa Posts: 2 Member
    Congratulations! Your sit caught my eye because I just finished another Master degree as well (my second and FINAL). I tried to work on my health and well-being as a student, teacher, and wife. But it was a struggle. Meanwhile my husband worked hard and lost 90 pounds. I’m ready to caught up. Let’s go!!