MY 100 POUND JOURNEY

Options

Replies

• Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    I’ve discovered that a high carb diet seems to work best for me and gives me more energy.
    🍌 🥔 🍠 🌽 🫛 🥖 🫘

Every time I go low-carb, I eventually start craving carbs, and go nuts, eating everything in sight. 🍰 🍫 🍦

Carbs fuel my brain. 🧠

I LOVE Garbanzo beans. The Goya brand is the best. I open a can, rinse them well, and eat them like popcorn. 😋

I love chickpeas, too!!! I make hummus with them, mock-chicken salad and chana saag, roast them with spices, and add them to salads - so yummy and versatile 😋
  • 7freshflowers
    7freshflowers Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is an essential mineral for managing sugar cravings. Most carbs contain sugar of course so maybe popping some magnesium would help.
    Thanks Evelyn. I’m taking your advice and ordered some Magnesium from Amazon. I did research on it, and I probably do need some.

I ordered the Triqueta brand organic plant magnesium 250 mg. Very expensive. It costs $26.99 for only 60 capsules. Ouch! The dose is 2 a day, but at that price, I’ll have to take 1 a day (125 mg). 💊

• 7freshflowers
    Options
    Morning all my name is Michelle. I started Jan 1 at 400. I have never wanted to be thin, I'm 6' tall but I need to get some of this bulk off to give my knees, hips and body a chance.. so here I am...
    Welcome to MY 100 POUND JOURNEY, Michelle. I’m 5’ 5” tall and over 300. My goal weight is 200. Like you, I have no desire to be thin. I just “need to get some of this bulk off.”
  • 7freshflowers
    Options
    Susanna527 wrote: »
    I love chickpeas, too!!! I make hummus with them, mock-chicken salad and chana saag, roast them with spices, and add them to salads - so yummy and versatile 😋
    Susanna, you’re a vegetarian too 👏. May I have your mock-chicken salad recipe?

I need to know some good fillings for sandwiches. 🥪

• 3rdtimelosesit
    3rdtimelosesit Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Morning all my name is Michelle and I live on Vancouver Island Canada, the heaviest I have ever been in 413 lbs and I started Jan 1 at 400. I have always been "morbidly Obese" in my adult life and have never wanted to be thin, I'm 6' tall ( maybe 5'11" now at 63) but I need to get some of this bulk off to give my knees, hips and body a chance.. so here I am...

Welcome Michelle. I'm Evelyn and almost 68. What part of the island are you in? I was raised there and keep moving away but always end up going back to the Comox Valley area. I live in Cranbrook now but just moved here from the island 5 years ago. I too have been morbidly obsese most of my adult life. I currently am 310 lbs. and trying (for the 3rd time) to get down to 175. I'll never be thin either as my bone structure is on the larger size. But as you say, need to get the bulk off to allow for free movement for our body. Plus less stress on our internal organs. More mobility makes us feel so much better. Hubby and I are planning a 2/3 month RV trip to the island this summer so he can do his beloved fly fishing for salmon. I want to be able to walk the beaches without issue plus do some kayaking & maybe learn to paddleboard. Here to a successful journey for you.
  • ytolleson
    ytolleson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Would love to join if I may. I've been well over 300 ( 360 at one time) many years now and I want my life back. SW.360, CW.301, GW.120. I'm 5'2.5" and 53 yrs. old. Lets do this.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new ladies on here. Joining in here is one ,very positive step towards a healthier body and mind. (They seem to go together).
  • seachelle1960
    seachelle1960 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    how does a person reply to comment? I want this to work like facebook but I guess it's time for this old dog to learn a new trick.. *lol
  • Susanna527
    Options
    how does a person reply to comment? I want this to work like facebook but I guess it's time for this old dog to learn a new trick.. *lol

Hi :) I don't have Facebook, so I'm not sure how that works, but here, to comment, you just click on the word "quote" at the bottom of the box of the person you want to reply to. Not sure why it says "quote" and not "comment" or "reply", lol!!!
    c4klbvz0mtfn.png

Hope this helps.
  • Susanna527
    Options
    Susanna, you’re a vegetarian too 👏. May I have your mock-chicken salad recipe?

I need to know some good fillings for sandwiches. 🥪

Hi! :) Of course! Yup, I've been a vegetarian for 40 out of 61 years, and gluten-free (Celiac's) for the past 15 years. I probably shouldn't have called it mock-chicken salad - a carnivore friend of mine called it that when she tried it, as she probably wanted to relate it to something "meaty" :) It's really just a smashed chickpea salad, but I think it's really, really tasty. I make a big batch on Sunday, and have it for lunches during the week. I make my own low-carb wraps, so I eat it in that, or in a lettuce wrap, and sometimes right out of the bowl :wink:

The way I make it is very close to this recipe: https://www.asaucykitchen.com/smashed-chickpea-salad/

I chop my onions/celery SUPER tiny (I hate chunky vegetables in fillings) and I use less than 1/2 cup of celery (it seems like a lot). I don't use much salt, so I wouldn't go by what that recipe says - I would add salt and pepper to your liking. I smash my chickpeas just a bit more than what's shown on this website. I also use regular mayo, not vegan mayo, and I throw some turmeric in which gives it a really nice color. That's pretty much it - it's super easy to make, and is pretty healthy. If you try it, I hope you enjoy it!

• FastFriend
    FastFriend Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would like to join the challenge. My current weight is >300. Intermediate goal wts are 250, 200 and ultimately <170. I am 5’11” and 66 years old. I have very serious health problems. I want to lose weight to have a little more time and to make it easier on others if my situation deteriorates. I will be having surgery in the next couple months preparatory to going on dialysis so very motivated and committed to making good progress
  • Susanna527
    Options
    FastFriend wrote: »
    I would like to join the challenge. My current weight is >300. Intermediate goal wts are 250, 200 and ultimately <170. I am 5’11” and 66 years old. I have very serious health problems. I want to lose weight to have a little more time and to make it easier on others if my situation deteriorates. I will be having surgery in the next couple months preparatory to going on dialysis so very motivated and committed to making good progress

Hello FastFriend :)

I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, but your commitment is very inspiring. All best wishes for your upcoming surgery, and glad you're here!
  • 7freshflowers
    edited January 15
    Options
    ytolleson wrote: »
    Would love to join if I may. I've been well over 300 ( 360 at one time) many years now and I want my life back. SW.360, CW.301, GW.120. I'm 5'2.5" and 53 yrs. old. Lets do this.
    You certainly may! We’d love to have you. Welcome to MY 100 POUND JOURNEY. Yes. “Let’s do this.” I have a feeling 2024 will be a very productive year for us all. 🦋 🦋 🦋

• 7freshflowers
    Options
    I love chickpeas, too!!! I've been a vegetarian for 40 out of 61 years, and gluten-free (Celiac's) for the past 15 years. I probably shouldn't have called it mock chicken salad. It's really just a smashed chickpea salad, but I think it's really, really tasty. The way I make it is very close to this recipe: https://www.asaucykitchen.com/smashed-chickpea-salad/
    I also use regular mayo, not vegan mayo, and I throw some turmeric in which gives it a really nice color.
    Thanks for the recipe. The smashed chickpeas sandwich looks beautiful. I’ll make it sometime. I too eat regular mayonnaise (Best Foods), and real butter.

• 3rdtimelosesit
    3rdtimelosesit Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    FastFriend wrote: »

Welcome to the group. Sorry to hear that you have serious health issues. Getting healthier should help out your body. Good luck achieving your goals. We're here for you!!
  • Susanna527
    Options
    Hello group & happy Monday! I'm happy today because the university is closed, so I had a three-day weekend :) I'm about to go exercise (I wanted to earlier, but got sidetracked helping a friend). I have severe COPD, and am just bouncing back from a serious lung illness in December, so I haven't exercised in about six weeks. I started two days ago, and I'm really proud of myself. I'm taking it VERY slow to begin with - the pulmonary therapy folks said to do cardio 4x/week for 45 minutes, but it's going to take me a while to get there. I'm also going to throw in some strength training with weights and resistance bands, and am going to resume yoga, which I love.

I LOVE the Body Project husband/wife team, and I exercise to their videos. Here's my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC_L9qAHVJ8. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go full on for the whole 30 minutes, but even if I go a bit slower, I'm going to stick it out through the whole video today.

How 'bout you? Does anyone else here do any kind of exercise? I've been doing well with controlling my eating; now I just need some motivation to keep exercising! :smile:

Have a great day!!! 1ynjd660bylh.png
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    edited January 16
    Options
    @Susanna527 yes, I do exercise. I try to do something every day. I haven’t for 3 days now, but I’ve had company staying here. When I started to incorporate exercise into my life, I did it very slowly. I actually went to physiotherapy and was given an 5 minute routine. Then, I started with an osteoporosis fitness video class that doesn’t really involve cardio. It does use weights though. Now, I go to my osteoporosis class and then use the elliptical for 15 minutes afterwards. I’ve improved a lot. I try to increase my fitness level by challenging myself. Lately, I’ve added the step into my workout. I step up and down 10 times. It’s a start.
    I try to swim 1 or 2 times a week, and attend an aquafit class one morning a week.Lastly, I’ve added a dance class that I thoroughly enjoy once a week.I can’t tell you how great the benefits of exercise have been for me. I’m really not in pain anymore from arthritis, my blood work all seems to be better, and it’s a huge benefit for my diabetes as it lowers blood sugar levels.
  • Susanna527
    Options
    @Susanna527 yes, I do exercise. I try to do something every day. I haven’t for 3 days now, but I’ve had company staying here. When I started to incorporate exercise into my life, I did it very slowly. I actually went to physiotherapy and was given an 5 minute routine. Then, I started with an osteoporosis fitness video class that doesn’t really involve cardio. It does use weights though. Now, I go to my osteoporosis class and then use the elliptical for 15 minutes afterwards. I’ve improved a lot. I try to increase my fitness level by challenging myself. Lately, I’ve added the step into my workout. I step up and down 10 times. It’s a start.
    I try to swim 1 or 2 times a week, and attend an aquafit class one morning a week.Lastly, I’ve added a dance class that I thoroughly enjoy once a week.I can’t tell you how great the benefits of exercise have been for me. I’m really not in pain anymore from arthritis, my blood work all seems to be better, and it’s a huge benefit for my diabetes as it lowers blood sugar levels.

Thanks for sharing your fitness routine & how it's really benefiting your overall health!
  • 7freshflowers
    edited January 16
    Options
    Hello everyone. Today I weigh 325. In the last 5 days, I've lost exactly 4 pounds 🎶. My short-term goal is to be under 300, and weigh 299 (or less), on March 1. ☕️ I figure if I tell you all about it, it will give me the incentive I need to work hard and achieve my goal. 😀

@3rdtimeloseit (Evelyn), will you keep me company and also weigh 299 on March 1? But don't let me push you too hard.
  • Susanna527
    Options
    Hello everyone. Today I weigh 325. In the last 5 days, I've lost exactly 4 pounds 🎶. My short-term goal is to be under 300, and weigh 299 (or less), on March 1. ☕️ I figure if I tell you all about it, it will give me the incentive I need to work hard and achieve my goal. 😀

@3rdtimeloseit (Evelyn), will you keep me company and also weigh 299 on March 1? But don't let me push you too hard.

Way to go - whoo hoo!!! *doing the happy dance*