Returning to MyFitnessPal

Options
Hello, my name is Patrick, but my friends call me Oddjob (As in Goldfinger, 007). I'm 46 years old from Indiana. I've been on and off MyFitnessPal for a couple of years, because life happens. Well, I became a primary caregiver and reality hits me that life is short and that I need to take care of myself too. This seems to be easier when a person has some great friends to cheer on and get cheered back from. I plan to login daily, log my food intake into the food diary, and exercise in the gym, outdoors, or at home.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Oddjob.

Logging daily will serve you well. Be as honest and complete as you can. Accuracy helps too.

Another good step is setting good goals. You already know this because you've been here before. A good goal is specific and measurable, it has a deadline, and it's a challenge but attainable. What goals are you setting for the next month and the next year?
  • patnguyen95
    patnguyen95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

My first goal for the next month is to simply get in a minimum of 10,000 steps in a day. I want to be disciplined in logging in my food diary and exercising for a minimum of 150 minutes a week. My goal is to get down to 180 pounds (Increase my muscle mass and decrease my bodyfat %) and I currently weigh 251 pounds. I did weigh 266 pounds at my last doctor's appointment on December 15, 2023. Kind of amazing how simply making sure I'm drinking enough water in a day (128 oz/day or 1 cup each hour) and allowing my body to flush out the toxins and waste accumulated over the years can do.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    I think these are GREAT goals. Measurable, time-bound, and achievable. You're already ahead of many people who are trying to hit a hole-in-one when it's really a par-4 hole, and just getting it on the fairway is success.

I suspect that after a month you'll develop some other logical, realistic goals to continue your success, and I wager that you WILL stick to it and WILL succeed.

Thanks for the reply. Keep after it!
  • meganlea33
    meganlea33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey hey! Just wanted to reach out and say good luck with your journey. It is amazing how little changes can make a huge difference. Sending lots of positive vibes!