Hello

Options
I’m a new member. I’ve gone from 135 kg to 98 kg but am stuck now. My goal is 90 kg but these last 8 kgs don’t seem to move so now trying calorie counting and down scaling over intervals to finish in 3 months

Replies

• frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a tremendous achievement in losing 37 kg. You didn’t mention how long that loss took you, but even at a fast pace it takes long term commitment and lifestyle changes.

I’ve found calorie management through MFP to be very helpful. I can give a pretty good calorie estimate without weighing or measuring nowadays, but I love numbers and do those things just for fun now. :).

One bit of unsolicited advice- 8kg in 3 months seems like a pretty aggressive goal if you’re getting close to your target weight. I’m have a similar previous weight loss (29kg) and remaining weight loss target (9kg) and have found that the level of restriction I need to do to continue to lose at the same pace as before (average of 0.7 kg/week over the past 9 months) is not mentally healthy for me. I definitely understand being frustrated with those last few kg and SOOOOOO ready to be “done”, but I’m working on the realization that “done” isn’t reaching my target weight. I’ll be “done” when I have found a lifestyle that will help me sustain that healthy weight for the rest of my life. So I am choosing to make that balanced and sustainable lifestyle my goal, even if it means a slower weight loss rate. In reading the advice of others on this site that have been successful at maintaining their weight loss, I have dropped my target loss rate to about 0.25 kg/week. It will take me most of this year to hit my target at that weight, but I’m okay with that because that pace is starting to feel fairly effortless. So my advice, especially if you’ve had a tendency to yo-yo, is to consider extending your timeline a bit once you’ve figured out how to get back into a downward trend.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    frhaberl wrote: »
    Congratulations on a tremendous achievement in losing 37 kg. You didn’t mention how long that loss took you, but even at a fast pace it takes long term commitment and lifestyle changes.

I’ve found calorie management through MFP to be very helpful. I can give a pretty good calorie estimate without weighing or measuring nowadays, but I love numbers and do those things just for fun now. :).

One bit of unsolicited advice- 8kg in 3 months seems like a pretty aggressive goal if you’re getting close to your target weight. I’m have a similar previous weight loss (29kg) and remaining weight loss target (9kg) and have found that the level of restriction I need to do to continue to lose at the same pace as before (average of 0.7 kg/week over the past 9 months) is not mentally healthy for me. I definitely understand being frustrated with those last few kg and SOOOOOO ready to be “done”, but I’m working on the realization that “done” isn’t reaching my target weight. I’ll be “done” when I have found a lifestyle that will help me sustain that healthy weight for the rest of my life. So I am choosing to make that balanced and sustainable lifestyle my goal, even if it means a slower weight loss rate. In reading the advice of others on this site that have been successful at maintaining their weight loss, I have dropped my target loss rate to about 0.25 kg/week. It will take me most of this year to hit my target at that weight, but I’m okay with that because that pace is starting to feel fairly effortless. So my advice, especially if you’ve had a tendency to yo-yo, is to consider extending your timeline a bit once you’ve figured out how to get back into a downward trend.

This. I lost 40 pounds easily in 2023. I hope to lose the last 10 in 2024. I've set my calorie goal at my predicted tdee at 10 pounds less than I weigh right now. I try to hit the goal, or better yet, go 100-200 calories under. I think I'll make it, but it may take all year.