Success Stories About Health Improvements

Options
Hello!

I’m starting my journey again now that I am prediabetic, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure. I would love to hear success stories about health improvements other members have achieved.

Replies

• ltnunes
    ltnunes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am almost 6 months post-ostomy surgery + heart attack. Something in my brain "clicked" and I've freed myself from dieting and am, for the first time, having success. I've lost 30 lbs and I don't remember when I was at this weight. I have 24 lbs to go. My Lipid panel is better than ever, I'm no longer pre-diabetic, and my blood pressure is under control. The big thing that helped is a medical team that believes in my ability to work with them. I found a registered dietician who understands my digestive needs and a therapist who is part of my medical group (she can speak to the different things I have to manage).
  • Aijoma91
    Aijoma91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can relate to these stories so it’s very encouraging to see that I too can achieve my goals.
  • bionic_woman
    bionic_woman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lots of my family have type two diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. My blood pressure had been creeping up due to lifestyle, stress and poor nutrition. I've been getting it under control by prioritising sleep (battling insomnia), eating far less sodium in terms of processed food, and working out 4-5 days per week including lots of walking. You've got this!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Your on the right track. Create a solid sustainable plan and get to work!

You can do this!
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ltnunes wrote: »
    I am almost 6 months post-ostomy surgery + heart attack. Something in my brain "clicked" and I've freed myself from dieting and am, for the first time, having success. I've lost 30 lbs and I don't remember when I was at this weight. I have 24 lbs to go. My Lipid panel is better than ever, I'm no longer pre-diabetic, and my blood pressure is under control. The big thing that helped is a medical team that believes in my ability to work with them. I found a registered dietician who understands my digestive needs and a therapist who is part of my medical group (she can speak to the different things I have to manage).

You are blessed to have folks you trust and can work with. I didn't give them much of a chance when my doctors offered help from a nutritionist. I'm not a 'just say no to doctors' guy, but I saw their approach. Insulin, fairly high carb, more insulin...It looked like a trap. I went rogue and started cutting carbs big time. I'm eating low carb, fair amount of protein, and a good amount of healthy fats. I'm early into the journey and doctors have had no choice but to cut back on my meds significantly. Went in recently and they looked at my numbers and told me..keep doing whatever you are doing...see ya in three months. They will, but It'll be a little less of me. :)
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    edited February 15
    Options
    I had borderline diabetes; high cholesterol and borderline high blood pressure. I lost around
    45 pounds in 3 months; and all my blood markers became normal with no medication.

The wright has stayed off; and my bloodwork has remained good. (The diet started exactly 5 years ago.)
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    edited February 16
    Options
    My story is similar to many here: obese, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, finally diagnosed with T2diabetes.The day my doctor told me I had diabetes was almost a year ago.
    Since then, I’ve lost over 50 lbs., lowered all my blood levels to where the doctor is happy and my A1C level isn’t really diabetic anymore. I don’t have to take as many drugs as I did a year ago.
    I’ve done this very slowly as I’m old, and don’t move too fast. I’m not prefect, but I log my food and have increased my exercise. I do things I like I.e. swimming, dancing, elliptical, fitness class.
    I still have a lot of weight to lose as I’m still obese, but this is a lifestyle now, not a diet. My whole life has changed for the better.
  • marydrohan52
    marydrohan52 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i started because of the chewing out i got from my doctor...lol..i have always been very active, always had great numbers, but, unknown by ME, this time was different!! she asked me what had changed because now i was on the borderline of getting meds for cholesterol!! i told her i had been doing Keto and IF...she had a fit..told me keto was probably why my cholesterol was up, blood pressure up, and IF could be why i'm dealing with weight 'creep'..we made a deal..in 6 months if my numbers came down on this program (she advised fitnesspal) i would consent to the colonoscopy she wants!! lolololol..she's a pip!! such moxie!! she's a doctor who genuinely cares...i want to adopt her.!!
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Kept pushing my luck since I only had mild blood pressure issue and finally landed in the hospital. Possibly with covid in late December 2019. During the week in the hospital decided at 49 party had been going on long enough. I thought If I get out I figured let’s try to change things up. Well things have been fairly solid for almost 5 years. Just find what works for you. Short term… getting to a number isn’t the way. Everyone can do that. It has to be something that has to be with you going forward and adjustable to your age and overall health.
  • milnercool
    milnercool Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Similar to many here, my weight loss was motivated by poor health. Blood tests last October showed high cholesterol and poor liver function. I was borderline obese and Google Fit stats showed I didn't move very much (despite having a job that keeps me on my feet all day). A sober conversation with the GP was the wake up call, including her hinting about starting statins. I went on a fact-finding mission about heart and liver health, and made some big adjustments to my diet to reduce saturated fat, increase fibre and omega 3&6, and overall increase the volume of veg, pulses and seeds in my diet. Key single things for me were cutting out most cheese and almost never drinking alcohol - but this is me, others will need to make their own choices/changes. I also made a commitment to walk at least 10,000 steps every day, which sometimes meant pounding the streets in the dark and rain at 10pm..
    Fast forward to the beginning of this month and the blood results - although not perfect - are much improved. BMI is now 26 and I've lost approx. 7.5kg. GP is very pleased with the rate of progress and is no longer talking statins. The liver function is much improved, although we are still investigating to make sure nothing chronic has been missed. Plus I have more energy and can walk significantly faster!
    February begins the shift from loss to maintenance. I'm determined not to have bad blood results again (tests in May so a good next milestone to keep in mind).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!