Broken wrist, alternative exercises/workouts

Options
akayella
akayella Posts: 2 Member
edited February 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I broke my right (dominant) wrist on new year's day.. I have been trying to exercise still but hard/boring to just focus on legs. I can put pressure/weight on my right arm whilst it heals. I have been focusing on treadmill and a bit of cycling (no arms holding) but looking for inspiration for alternative exercises.

Suggestions most welcome. Hoping only another month max and I can start using it again.
Tagged:

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    You can do unilateral training on your left side and still potentially get benefits on your right side, due to the contralateral effect. This should help maintain strength and muscle too.

So, one arm bent over row with your right forearm resting on an incline bench. Or db press or machine press or chest fly with just your left side. Bicep curls and one arm French press with your left side, and so on. You could also do some core work for abs and the likes of reverse hypers for your lower back area.
  • MindfulMisfitt
    MindfulMisfitt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello! I also broke my right wrist, but it was about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, I have tendons and ligraments in my right thumb0hand that have not healed correctly, and I still experience pain - especially with certain exercises (pull ups, and chest press seem to be big problem areas for me). I know you're nowhere near being able to do those exercises yet, and HOPEFULLY you are in PT - but if not, push for it!! The wrist and hand are insanely complex, and although bones usually heal nicely, there is so much more going on there. PT can give you exercises as well.

Anyway! If you have a "captains chair" at your gym I recommend hanging knee raises for abs. I also do cable crunches, but that kills my hand sometimes so I dont think you'd be able to do those. As far as arms, behind the head tricept raises with a dumbell may be possible. Use your left hand to support/grip the weight, and your right hand just to help guide.

I really messed up my hand last week overdoing it on hammer curls, so I've been babying it ever since (ice, my brace, no arms at gym), almost a week now. However on Monday I ordered some liftubg hooks, and wrist wraps. These are incredible tools to help support grip strength. I got mine on Amazon, but you can do some research and look into what might be best for you. Obviously if your break is still healing you shouldnt be lifting at all, but it might be a helpful tool for the future.

I hope some of this is helpful!
  • akayella
    akayella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input.
    I will be undergoing physio ones I've been given the go ahead by the fracture clinic. I will go through my work for it as then I get fast tracked for it.
    L
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited February 20
    Options
    Misfitt mentioned PT, and this reminds me I saw someone here recently saying PT's tend to diagnose the minimum, since many people don't do any of it. Given the risk for long term issues, it might be advisable to do as much as you can. Obviously with doctor/PT guidance, listening to your body's cues that it's painful (especially acute pain), etc.