tips pls

Options
jbwb7bpbj2
jbwb7bpbj2 Posts: 1 Member
i’m new here, and i was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me about what i should avoid eating? or how to work this app lol.. my calorie goal is 1,320 daily, i take 10,000 steps daily, and workout at the gym focusing on my abs, back, and arms.

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Other than that you should avoid eating more than 1320 calories (plus exercise calories not included in whatever you assumed to get the 1320 goal), there's really nothing you need to avoid eating except poisons or things you're personally allergic/sensitive to.

I'm not trying to be snarky.

With your goals, you'd also want to get ample protein, enough healthy fats, a reasonable amount of fiber, and a well-rounded profile of micronutrients. (I find those last two fall into place quite nicely for me if I make it a point to eat lots of varied, colorful veggies and fruits daily.)

Mostly, I think it's more important (and helpful) to focus on what good things to include in my eating routine, rather than what to kick out of it. The whole good foods/bad foods dichotomy is IMO just dumb, mostly a clickbait-induced view of eating.

Get reasonable nutrition overall on average, add a few treats just for joy, hit calorie goal. That'll work fine.

I guess the one other thing I'd actually avoid is eating a large fraction of my calories in foods that aren't filling for me personally, since being hungry or crave-y tends to lead to exceeding calorie goal. What's filling varies individually: It can be protein, fats, volume foods (like low cal veggies), sometimes even specific foods (oatmeal and baked/boiled potatoes are common foods to find filling, but they're not universally so).

Also, do some lower body strengthening exercise too, ideally. ;)

Honestly, there's a lot of nonsense on the internet and in magazines, etc., about superfoods, foods that pack on the pounds, blah blah blah . . . IMO it drives traffic to websites that want to sell us something (diets, exercises, supplements, etc.) more than it really helps anyone.

Those sites and sources benefit if we think weight management is just too hard and complicated for us to do with common sense, without buying their products (or letting our eyeballs make ad revenue for them).

In reality, it's not that complicated: Eat the right number of calories, get reasonably well-rounded nutrition. Exercise lets us eat a few more calories, and is good for a body, but strictly speaking, it's optional for weight management.

(Personal context for these comments: In 2015-16, when I was 59-60 y/o, menopausal and severely hypothyroid (medicated), I lost from class 1 obese to a healthy weight without materially changing the range of foods I ate, or materially increasing the amount of exercise I did (NB I was already active while obese). It worked fine. I've maintained a healthy weight since the same way. It can work.)

Best wishes!

P.S. I did this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That won't work for everyone - no one approach will - but it's one option to consider.