Keto Re-starter

Options
Awegg05
Awegg05 Posts: 160 Member
It's been years since I've done Keto. I lost a ton on it and felt great. I need to start off my fridge/cabinets on the right path! Could you share some key Keto items you keep around the house?
Tagged:

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 19
    Options
    Keto-friendly salad ingredients, dressing/marinade, olive oil, eggs, shredded cheese, buy meat on sale keep frozen. No/low sodium broth.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,920 Member
    edited March 19
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Losing weight isn't the issue for most. It's maintaining the loss after. So if you're uptaking a diet you CAN'T sustain for life, then you're likely to regain the weight again after stopping it. It's the rollercoaster of many dieters.
    Figure out HOW you want to eat for life and then work out a plan to be able to eat that way without exceeding the calories you need to stay in check.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well that leaves around 80% of the population that is overweight or obese with multiple health concerns who haven't figured that out yet. This population continues to eat the foods they enjoy and obviously aren't willing to change and accept the consequences, so it's a little more complicated than find what you like and can sustain for the rest of someones life.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out these groups:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

I do Keto (more ketovore). I really don't have specific suggestions on what to stock up on.
  • PHXLoser
    PHXLoser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this for life. I always have dill pickles and radishes for crunch. Eggs, sliced turkey and cheese, There are lots of keto recipes on social media now too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,920 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'll mention is make sure your making the right decision on which keto diet is right for you. The original ketogenic diet was prescribed for mostly children with epilepsy a 100 years ago and is described as a 4:1 ratio which means that particular diet is 4g's of fat for every gram of protein and isn't suitable for the average person but is used the most, why I'm not sure and is probably going to be a fail, I know I probably would and I'm on a keto diet. Personally I'm on a ketogenic diet for the most part but I use a 1:1 ratio which is 1g of fat for ever gram of protein and it's quite a bit more manageable and suggest you do some research before you start this time.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,624 Member
    edited March 19
    Options
    I’m assuming you regained weight after KETO. You may want to consider a diet that you can permanently maintain. Most people doing KETO are unable to maintain it then go off of it and regain the weight and sometimes more.

The mindset many times is the weight is off so “job done” and go back to their old eating habits when in actuality the hardest job is now starting.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I’m assuming you regained weight after KETO. You may want to consider a diet that you can permanently maintain. Most people doing KETO are unable to maintain it then go off of it and regain the weight and sometimes more.

The mindset many times is the weight is off so “job done” and go back to their old eating habits when in actuality the hardest job is now starting.

The argument about maintaining a way of eating other than the standard American diet, could be made for pretty much any approach to losing weight. My first serious journey into losing weight was simply calorie counting. I lost weight, and then gained it back even doing all that is recommended here. Will that happen for me this time around eating Keto? No idea. I do know that losing weight is the easy part. Maintaining after losing weight is difficult. While I would not say Keto is the only way to go, I am doing it for more than just the weight loss, for me it is a way of eating that I can do without actually logging food and still maintain and lose weight. That is something I could not do just logging calories. That may, and likely will be, different for other people. For me, it works, after almost a year of following it, I find it maintainable for me. This is not to mention that many issues I had that I figured were just from getting older which didn't go away with losing weight simply counting calories have gone away eating a Keto diet such as tooth sensitivity and joint pain. It is no more or less difficult to maintain than any other weight loss approach. For some people it will be easy to maintain, for others it will not. Not matter what, the standard American diet is much more sustainable, but it will result in weight gain, metabolic illness, and the like because of it high proportion of ultra processed, hyper-palatable food.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hi @Awegg05 welcome! Happy you had success before. And don’t worry, many of us have been in your shoes and had to start over. It sounds like you really enjoyed Keto. In order for us to help with next steps, what did you love about it? What didn’t you love? Why did you go off keto? Hoping we can lead you in the right direction 😊
  • Awegg05
    Options
    How do I reply to a specific person's comment?
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Awegg05 wrote: »
    How do I reply to a specific person's comment?

On their comment select "quote, and it will copy and quote their comment above where you type yours
  • Awegg05
    Options

I do Keto (more ketovore). I really don't have specific suggestions on what to stock up on.

Joined, thank you!
  • rileysowner
    Options

Joined, thank you!

You are welcome. Don't neglect to bookmark message threads that interest you in the group as they will not show up in the recent discussion. You do so my clicking the icon to the right of the thread topic when it is open.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

The argument about maintaining a way of eating other than the standard American diet, could be made for pretty much any approach to losing weight. My first serious journey into losing weight was simply calorie counting. I lost weight, and then gained it back even doing all that is recommended here. Will that happen for me this time around eating Keto? No idea. I do know that losing weight is the easy part. Maintaining after losing weight is difficult. While I would not say Keto is the only way to go, I am doing it for more than just the weight loss, for me it is a way of eating that I can do without actually logging food and still maintain and lose weight. That is something I could not do just logging calories. That may, and likely will be, different for other people. For me, it works, after almost a year of following it, I find it maintainable for me. This is not to mention that many issues I had that I figured were just from getting older which didn't go away with losing weight simply counting calories have gone away eating a Keto diet such as tooth sensitivity and joint pain. It is no more or less difficult to maintain than any other weight loss approach. For some people it will be easy to maintain, for others it will not. Not matter what, the standard American diet is much more sustainable, but it will result in weight gain, metabolic illness, and the like because of it high proportion of ultra processed, hyper-palatable food.
    a sustainable diet in the US is only as unhealthy as you make it and done properly it does not result in weight gain. Just because someone isnt doing KETO does not mean they’re automatically doing an unhealthy diet.

And yes it will be different for everyone. Your experience is strictly anecdotal. KETO May be easy for you however for a large percentage, eliminating an entire macronutrient is not maintainable for the long term past the Fatloss phase.

• ddsb1111
    edited March 20
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Hi @Awegg05 welcome! Happy you had success before. And don’t worry, many of us have been in your shoes and had to start over. It sounds like you really enjoyed Keto. In order for us to help with next steps, what did you love about it? What didn’t you love? Why did you go off keto? Hoping we can lead you in the right direction 😊

Thank you! Honestly, I had lost more than I was planning to, so I stopped Keto and switched to a less-restrictive diet, gained a little bit back, but I was happy with what I was maintaining. Then my dad passed away. A couple months later my brothers fiancé (and my friend) was murdered. My emotional state spiraled and my health was the last thing on my mind. But it's been over two years, a pregnancy, and 120 pounds later.... I'm ready to get control over this again.

Firstly, I’m so very sorry to hear about the loss of your father and future sister in law. That’s absolutely devastating, there’s no words for how it must feel to experience something like that, all at the same time. On the flip side, I’m glad you’re in a place now where you can focus on you and take control of where you’re at.

It sounds like keto was, and very possibly will be again, the right lifestyle for you. Most of us know it all comes down to calories regardless of what diet we choose, but that doesn’t mean anything if we can’t find a way of eating that fits our lifestyle. Often that’s the hardest part. There’s some excellent keto resources here that will guide you; It’s nice to have a community to share experiences with. And, if for any reason you don’t respond to keto in the same way as before, that’s perfectly fine. There’s other options that can work just as good, so don’t worry. No diet is perfect with linear results.

I hope this new chapter produces the same success as before. Please keep us posted on your progress.
  • josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Will power. It takes so much dang will power in today's world.

Being overweight and obese is a good thing in this economy. It's a multibillion dollar business in every aspect: pharmaceuticals, doctors, clothing, and even this fitness app. They all depend on you gaining weight.

So, whatever your motivation, whatever diet you are on...work on will power. That will be the deciding factor.

Salut!
  • ddsb1111
    edited March 21
    Options

Being overweight and obese is a good thing in this economy. It's a multibillion dollar business in every aspect: pharmaceuticals, doctors, clothing, and even this fitness app. They all depend on you gaining weight.

So, whatever your motivation, whatever diet you are on...work on will power. That will be the deciding factor.

Salut!

Dang. A part of me wanted to completely disagree with you on using willpower, but I agree with a lot of what you said. There’s a lot of research going against our success, it really does feel like us against the world sometimes. Call it what you want, but you’re right, we need to figure out our why, dig deep, and decide. The other missing ingredient (IMO) is gaining the tools which is leaning more on the therapy, balance, math side, but I hear you. I see you. And, agree with a lot of what you’re saying, if that means anything. No one can save us but ourselves ultimately.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited March 21
    Options
    So, whatever your motivation, whatever diet you are on...work on will power. That will be the deciding factor. Salut!

By no stretch am I going to dis the power of will power.
    It is powerful indeed.

But is it the best tool to use?

I've known a number people who you would only charitably characterize as strong willed as opposed to unmovable mountains.

And I've seen them successfully apply their willpower to the enterprise of losing weight.
    And lose weight. Noticeably.

And then I've seen the same people a few months later at the same weight they used to be. In spite of their will power.

So I decided that willpower was not the issue. Because all these people had willpower. Even more than I did.

The issue was relying on their willpower because of their lack of planning to FAIL.

In fact if FAILURE WAS A GIVEN -- how could I go about getting the best results possible out of my inevitable future failure?

How could I achieve the maximum time possible at a reduced weight?

You know, the 10% reduction that starts to give great health benefits? The 20% reduction that gives even more? Maybe even the nirvana of normal weight after a 40% reduction?

Should I lose as fast as possible while relying on my willpower to carry me? Hang in there for dear life?

Or should I try to gravitate towards ways of eating and moving that I think I will manage to stick to long term and which should result in keeping me at a reduced weight for as long as possible?

Sure. I do occasionally have to call on some will power to assist. But my focus is on AVOIDING to have to rely on willpower by making things as easy as possible and by making choices and building habits, routines, defaults, easy to reach for options and all the stuff that I can think off that will make it less necessary for me to have to rely on will power.

So far so good.

9+ years @15%, the more recent 8+ of which @ 40%+ off

And still planning delay tactics for the inevitable failure.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    I'm with PAV, as is so often the case. Maybe moreso than PAV, because I think he's a stronger character than I am.

Salut!

No way, not for me: I don't do willpower. I vote "find a reasonably tolerable and practical - ideally happy - way of eating that's calorie-appropriate and nutritious". Maybe that way of eating doesn't exist for everyone, I don't know.

But the easier the way of eating is to stick with, the higher the odds of long-term success and the less willpower is required. (I'm in year 8 of maintaining, after 30 years of overweight/obesity, BTW.) If someone depends on my staying fat to get or stay rich, they're SOL. I hope I can keep it that way for another 8 years or so, because I don't know that I have much more than that on my genetic agenda. (Maybe a little.)

If keto makes it easier for the OP (or anyone else), that's great. (I don't do keto or even low carb, but that's just me.) Making it easier is a good strategy, if there's any "easier" to be had, IMO.

Best wishes, sincerely.