Paying my daughter to run....

Options
12346»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    bribes are totally part of parenting. you did the right thing. she sounds like my neice, who at 17 has no interests outside of crappy pop music and social media and the internet. doesn't even care about things like cute clothes and things like that.

i wish you and her could find something she's more into. maybe martial arts? swimming?

btw, since she's into electronics and stuff, you should embrace that and make it work for you. there are tons of running apps that are basic like "mapmyrun" that can track her milage and speed and post it to facebook. and you can better track her running if you continue with the monetary incentives, that way she doesn't try and pull a fast one on you and tell you she ran 2 miles when she didn't.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We are going through *almost* the same thing with our almost 11 year old daughter.... She's not active period. Never was. She took after me which doesn't say much - hence why i'm on this site. She loves her electronics. We've tried soccer, dance, gymnastics and something else too can't remember. Hates sports except for horseback riding but thats pretty pricey and swimming which we enroll her in through out the year. We've recently made a deal with her.... she can have up to an hour of uninterrupted time away from her younger brother that pesters her constantly but she/we must be doing something active... playing just dance on the wii, doing zumba, doing a workout video with me, go on the treadmill and watch one of her shows, try tennis, go swimming, go for a walk. Whatever her heart desires. This helps her be active and gives me some quality time with just her. Her own space away from her crazy brother is what motivates her. Money - a bit but not so much as having "free" time.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Wow I'd have loved that. And probably earned my way through college by the time I got there. That's awesome.
    my mom used to pay us $10 for every book we read when i was younger.. i loved reading so it was just a plus for me, but it was her way of trying to get my brother to read more.

you're not a bad parent for doing this.. its just a little motivation.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Not any different than getting paid to do chores.
  • BrianHinds
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with wanting your child to exercise! Mind you, you shouldn't have to pay them to do it! A great activity she might enjoy is MMA! I have been in it for years now and love it! It is great because it helps kids keep in shape and teaches kids discipline and how to reach a goal! Trust me leading martial arts doesn't make you into a killing machine either! Look into it, she might like it :) best of luck
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. I'm really glad I went back in the posts and saw this today. My 6 year old is doing a color run with me tomorrow and I've been very worried that she's going to get tired (lazy) and throw a fit for me to carry her. I'm totally bribing her with money because I know that will work. THANKS FOR THE IDEA!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. I'm really glad I went back in the posts and saw this today. My 6 year old is doing a color run with me tomorrow and I've been very worried that she's going to get tired (lazy) and throw a fit for me to carry her. I'm totally bribing her with money because I know that will work. THANKS FOR THE IDEA!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

That is Awesome! I think you both will have a great time. We are signing up for the Firefly run in Oct and she is actually excited :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    idk if money would be the first thing i try as a bribe. and not food either.

maybe some new sneakers? try the phrase "and if you like it and have fun and do your best we'll buy you a new pair of sneakers!!"