Non-dairy protein help

Options
I haven't met my protein goal all week! I need suggestions on how to up my protein. I eat eggs for breakfast and usually have a meat protein with dinner.
Tagged:

Replies

• hiiamamie
    hiiamamie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use organic veggie based protien choc. powder. Right now I'm using Kos which I picked up a CVS, but I've tried many. I shake it up in 20 oz of water. There is no grit with this one, but it settles quickly. I drink it throughout the first hour or so while I'm at work. I've always struggled with my protien numbers. When I'm meal planning and prepping well, I can ditch the shakes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Look for protein snacks, eat protein for lunch if you eat lunch, look for sides, beverages and even seasoning ingredients that add a little protein. Those little bits can add up through the day and boost the total.

This thread may help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I'm able to get over my 100g personal minimum, and usually exceed it, even as a vegetarian. I'm in maintenance, but during loss - after I got the right habits dialed in - it was at least 80s-90s grams. Choosing a protein main and snacks are the biggest contributors, but those little bits from most everything I eat frosted the cake. I do eat dairy and the rare egg, but never meat, fish, or seafood.

(Personally, I didn't find it necessary to eat things I'd don't personally enjoy, such as protein powder or fake meats. There's nothing wrong with either IMO, except that I don't enjoy them as much as I like food.)

Don't worry, if you're not deficient to start, you don't need to fix this instantly. Just work on tweaking your protein upward by revising your routine eating habits (with foods you enjoy) until you get there. Even then, close on average over a small number of days is OK. Protein drinks or bars can be a transition aid, even if you prefer to use foods longer term.

Best wishes!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I add lentils to really anything it seems appropriate for (soups, heck even sauces...you can mash them up a bit to thicken a sauce).

I add quinoa to my oatmeal.

Hemp seeds are a great addition to salads, sauces, I will even just sprinkle them on top of toast w/PB or jelly, etc.

Can add egg whites (cartoned) to your regular eggs to bump up the protein while still tasting like regular eggs.
  • snowdancer03
    snowdancer03 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Look for protein snacks, eat protein for lunch if you eat lunch, look for sides, beverages and even seasoning ingredients that add a little protein. Those little bits can add up through the day and boost the total.

This thread may help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I'm able to get over my 100g personal minimum, and usually exceed it, even as a vegetarian. I'm in maintenance, but during loss - after I got the right habits dialed in - it was at least 80s-90s grams. Choosing a protein main and snacks are the biggest contributors, but those little bits from most everything I eat frosted the cake. I do eat dairy and the rare egg, but never meat, fish, or seafood.

(Personally, I didn't find it necessary to eat things I'd don't personally enjoy, such as protein powder or fake meats. There's nothing wrong with either IMO, except that I don't enjoy them as much as I like food.)

Don't worry, if you're not deficient to start, you don't need to fix this instantly. Just work on tweaking your protein upward by revising your routine eating habits (with foods you enjoy) until you get there. Even then, close on average over a small number of days is OK. Protein drinks or bars can be a transition aid, even if you prefer to use foods longer term.

Best wishes!

Thank you for the advice. I prefer real food over protein bars and shakes. I will take your advice and just keep adjusting until I can find the food that helps me get there. Thank you.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I would replace normal starches in meals such as rice and potatoes with lentils, beans or quinoa.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and getting adequate protein is difficult for me too. I eat scrambled egg whites with breakfast. Lunch is usually leftovers from my dinners which are protein focused so I know I'm getting a good serving.

In the afternoon I usually have some collagen protein in herbal tea along with my snack. A good bone broth would also provide an additional source of protein if collagen is not your thing.. Sometimes I have a serving of almonds. There's not a huge amount of protein in almonds but over the course of the whole day it does help and the almonds also provide fiber.

My dinners are well balanced meals: Greek chicken with a Greek salad, szechuan chicken with brown rice and veggies,, etc. it's always nice the next day to have a prepared lunch ready and I know all the ingredients in the meal because I prepared it myself.

There are some Paleo protein powders on the market but I found them to cause gas and bloating for me.

With all the things I do throughout the day and my meal planning I get enough protein, but I am a woman and my protein goals aren't as high as other individuals. A fourth or fifth meal that mimics your lunches and dinners may be warranted to meet your needs if you don't want to do protein powders.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    What amount are you trying to hit?
  • kngddmbppx
    kngddmbppx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I boil eggs for snacks
  • leebertnakao
    leebertnakao Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly snacking on nuts. They have loads of protein and fiber and they keep me full for awhile.