Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

How About We Don't Delete Newsfeeds

Options

Replies

• gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Betty wrote: »
    Hi y’all, 

Wanted to first acknowledge that saying good bye to any feature is hard, and I too am sad to see the Newsfeed ride off into the sunset. I do feel strongly that social interaction is important for a lot of folks on what can often be a lonely and difficult journey and having friends cheering you on can make a difference. 

I’ll be transparent that the Newsfeed was one of our oldest features that had many flaws and was no longer sustainable to support. While it was not used by many we understand that it’s a real loss for those who used it.
    While it is not perfect, due to some limitations like no friend or follow features in the Community, our team enabled the Community Activity Feed on profiles within the community as it was an existing feature available from our forum providers. Some of you may even remember seeing it briefly back in 2021 when we updated the Community.
    The community profiles only have two options Public or Private, and the Private option makes the Activity Feed unviewable by others. The next best alternative to utilizing the Activity Feed would be to create a Private Group to invite your friends to and interact with them there.
    I know these options don’t “replace” the Newsfeed by any means, but we hope they help give some members some options to interact with others outside of topic driven discussions.

Can we fix the newsfeed instead of completely scrapping it? The likes and comments were very supportive for me. Very sad and paying member :-(
  • 1ns1d3_0u7
    1ns1d3_0u7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that the problem is that MFP has too many free users using free features. While I'm sure some people in the company feel less than good about pissing so many people off, what does it matter if users leave if they never paid in the first place?

Well.. the free, long term members, the ones who post educated feedback and suggestions in the forums, the ones who grab hold of new members (who WILL and DO pay) and help them along their way... they're a form of intellectual assets that you cannot value on a balance sheet.

I get that nothing is free... so run a poll to see how much people would be willing to pay for a news feed. I know that I won't pay a pile of money for micro tracking and all the extra features, but I would have been willing to pay a smaller annual subscription for a STABLE and USEABLE news feed, bar code scanner and reliable diary with macro tracking.

Give us options to pay something but not an astronomical amount. Create a tiered payment structure, and maybe you'd see some of that influx of dough that the stupid ads all over our newsfeed don't generate.

If you don't care about your free users, then find a way to soak them for a bit of coin and they can pay for your developers to do a better job of the feed.

I have been using mfp for free for 14 years (or more). I've made lifelong friends, they helped me through an abusive divorce, the loss of family, pets, children who were suicidal and struggling with chronic pain disorders. The news feed was THE ONLY safe place from my ex (who stalked me relentlessly) and the only place where I could truly be ME and still feel loved.

I am grieving the loss of that community now.
    I just wish you would have asked us how much we'd have been willing to pay to keep it around. You might have been surprised.

This, I'd be willing to pay for premium if the standard app/website wasn't a complete glitch-fest. Half of the time I see the stupid strawberry error page. So why would someone put up money on a questionably stable app?
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The family we have created through newsfeed is extremely important and we use newsfeed Every day!!Ive emailed several people at Francisco partners and haven’t heard back from anyone.But it’s obvious WE don’t matter,we don’t have any say in what we want as the users of mfp.Im sure it’s more to do with money.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    The family we have created through newsfeed is extremely important and we use newsfeed Every day!!Ive emailed several people at Francisco partners and haven’t heard back from anyone.But it’s obvious WE don’t matter,we don’t have any say in what we want as the users of mfp.Im sure it’s more to do with money.

I’m sorry you haven’t received any responses. I don’t know anyone that has reached out that has received a response.

Many business owners and financiers I know personally see the value of community engagement… I’m saddened that MFP does not. Actually a bit shocked.

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,485 Member
    edited July 1
    Options
    I agree save the News feed
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 793 Member
    edited July 1
    Options
    Hey All...please go rate the mfp app...give it a 1 and comment. If enough people do it they will see how unhappy we are

Keep speaking up

I did exactly that!! Keep flooding the App reviews stating you want the NEWSFEED. It’s the PAL part of MyFitnessPal!!
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 793 Member
    edited July 1
    Options
    Betty wrote: »
    👋 Hi, just chiming in again to say I'm continuing to read and pass along your feedback.

In regards to the forums, I'll work on collecting feedback and see what is possible with our forum providers to make improvements here. I can't make any promises, but always happy to research what can and can't be done here.

@Betty - I used posting my Diary privately to my friends in the NEWSFEED as my way of being accountable. How can I continue to do that with my personal private friends so I can continue my weight loss journey privately and safely?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited May 31
    Options
    It is clear that the decision makers at mfp don't care. Sad, but clear.

But did we honestly think they would? Maybe I'm just jaded, but they are in the business of making money, actual people aren't part of the equation.
  • Spaff_luceat_lux_vestra_BSB
    Spaff_luceat_lux_vestra_BSB Posts: 289 Member
    edited July 1
    Options
    So my newsfeed button is officially gone.

I clicked on friends… and there is no way to
    directly go from my IOS app to friends activity pages.

So do we have to keep a list of screennames on a notepad, then go to community and do a search for them? That is really inefficient especially for app users. The app also doesn’t allow copy and paste from friends list to community.

This roll out is really lousy and discourteous corporate MFP.

@betty @durden - doesn’t seem like MFP has taken any of the hundreds of users pleas into consideration, nor has it been transparent about the timing of this roll out. There are people that don’t read the community boards that just woke up to having no newsfeed.

Between emails outreach, numerous posts in this board and a social media campaign… corporate MFP has just given many loyal years long users the middle finger.

It was posted that the newsfeeds would go away “sometime before end of June.” Having a date would have been nice so users could have communicated with friends on their feed.

After 10+ years, I have ended my paid subscription.

Hey M....GO visit Francisco Partners in NY...maybe you can at least talk to a real person👍
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 1,032 Member
    edited July 1
    Options
    My newsfeed is now gone, and so am I. I switched to cronometer which is a much better tracker, the newsfeed was the only reason I stayed. I will use MFP for the community section only, needless to say, I will not renew prime membership. Sad to see MFP destroy a great community and possibly its user base. I‘m on IG now to substitute for the newsfeed,