Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

How About We Don't Delete Newsfeeds

Options
1ns1d3_0u7
1ns1d3_0u7 Posts: 39 Member
I don't fully get why it needs to be shifted to the communities tab where you need to re-add people on your friends list to continue getting the same content that's already readily available?
61 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,858 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi y’all, 

Wanted to first acknowledge that saying good bye to any feature is hard, and I too am sad to see the Newsfeed ride off into the sunset. I do feel strongly that social interaction is important for a lot of folks on what can often be a lonely and difficult journey and having friends cheering you on can make a difference. 

I’ll be transparent that the Newsfeed was one of our oldest features that had many flaws and was no longer sustainable to support. While it was not used by many we understand that it’s a real loss for those who used it.
    While it is not perfect, due to some limitations like no friend or follow features in the Community, our team enabled the Community Activity Feed on profiles within the community as it was an existing feature available from our forum providers. Some of you may even remember seeing it briefly back in 2021 when we updated the Community.
    The community profiles only have two options Public or Private, and the Private option makes the Activity Feed unviewable by others. The next best alternative to utilizing the Activity Feed would be to create a Private Group to invite your friends to and interact with them there.
    I know these options don’t “replace” the Newsfeed by any means, but we hope they help give some members some options to interact with others outside of topic driven discussions.
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,858 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi @springlering62 Thanks for the tag and questions. We'll work on getting an informational post up. I'll do my best to answer some of your questions here.

First off the Friend's List is not impacted by Newsfeed going away. You can still add friends, as you do need to friend someone to send them a Private Message. From the Friends List you can still click on your friend's profile and find the Diary icon to access their Diary if diary sharing is enabled.

As I mentioned, I know some of the community options aren't super ideal as a Newsfeed stand in and I think there will be growing pains and learnings as y'all find what works best for you and your friend groups.

Private Messages are still very much an option for one on one communication, and Private groups are a way to communicate with a curated group of people. But yes, not everyone may want to join a group.

I'm reading all of your feedback and passing it along to the team. We'll continue to research and explore other options for the future that better support different social interaction needs.
  • JamieS74
    JamieS74 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Betty wrote: »
    Hi @springlering62 Thanks for the tag and questions. We'll work on getting an informational post up. I'll do my best to answer some of your questions here.

First off the Friend's List is not impacted by Newsfeed going away. You can still add friends, as you do need to friend someone to send them a Private Message. From the Friends List you can still click on your friend's profile and find the Diary icon to access their Diary if diary sharing is enabled.

As I mentioned, I know some of the community options aren't super ideal as a Newsfeed stand in and I think there will be growing pains and learnings as y'all find what works best for you and your friend groups.

Private Messages are still very much an option for one on one communication, and Private groups are a way to communicate with a curated group of people. But yes, not everyone may want to join a group.

I'm reading all of your feedback and passing it along to the team. We'll continue to research and explore other options for the future that better support different social interaction needs.

Will the friends we already have stay or do we have to befriend people?