How to avoid the cravings without starving?

Options
Symbolic_Fit
Symbolic_Fit Posts: 4 Member
So I'll start this by saying I am a binge eater. I eat all day long in small portions but it's mostly garbage food. At night I usually eat a ton of stuff in one go. If I start to feel bad about myself I will skip meals and eat as little as possible but eventually break and eat a ton.
I'm wondering how you all eat appropriately without skipping meals or breaking down and eating a ton? Any tips or secrets?

Answers

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Log it all. Every thing. Even the stuff you wish you hadn't eaten. It is the only way to really see what you are doing to yourself. I often pre-log things. I know what I am having at breakfast and lunch because I pack the to take to work. Snacks too. If I end up not eating it all, or something changes, I can delete it from my log. I can also see what calories are left for dinner and plan accordingly if I need to. Sometimes I log lots of the stuff that is yummy but not at all nutrient dense BEFORE eating it, because I want to see the effect. Most times, I don't even open the pantry to look at the stuff. If I can see that it's not worth it, then forget it. It will taste good, but it won't stick with me.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I prelog most of my food before I eat most of the time. When I don’t I usually end up eating things I wish I hadn’t. When you start prelogging the junk before you eat it, you will see how many empty calories are there and may change your mind to something else… like whole foods. When I eat Whole Foods like lean meats, chicken, vegetables without sauces, fruits I can eat big servings of these for low to moderate calories which fills me up. I also drink lots of water and no calorie flavored seltzer water to help.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/E5TIpQsOAHU?si=ZCgx6RtqXOMi--VR

Maybe study nutrition and wellness topics? I'm not sure what the secret is, but I've worked on developing a healthy foods mindset. I'd rather have a salmon roll and avocado salad for lunch than a Wendy's #1 any day! I do not even want to eat "garbage". I don't have to count calories anymore because I like eating healthy quantities of somewhat healthy foods. This is I think, a good video, explaining why some people restrict/then overeat certain foods. I think the solutions are complex, though. I honestly don't think obsessing over tracking food and calorie counting is the answer in the long run...
  • Suzannesdaughter
    Suzannesdaughter Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 26
    Options
    Hello Fellow B.E.D. person :)
    Binge Eating Disorder is one of the most common eating disorders, even over anorexia & Bullimia!
    I know this because I too have struggled seriously with this for the past 4yrs.
    It has nothing to do with hunger for me, and I realize it is coping mechanism for emotions, loss, grief, stress etc etc.
    It is like any other addiction…..So very difficult to stop and your brain really gets hardwired to keep feeding the cravings.
    My binging is just with sugar and desserts though.
    We are talking entire cakes, pies, cupcakes, butter tarts, bags of licorice, 1.6-2litres of Ice cream, candies, bags of cookies, containers of frosting. And whatever I bring home for a ‘treat’…I eat it all in one sitting. Often I can consume 3000 to 4000 calories and enormous amounts of sugar. Generally at night.
    I eat healthy all day and don’t obsess about food to be honest. I ate lean proteins, healthy fats and whole grain, veggies and little bit of fruit for my carbs…
    BUT AM INSANELY ADDICTED TO AND OBSESSED WITH SWEETS AND DESSERTS. I binge regularly. I have not been able to stop…….for about 10+ years.
    My binges have resulted in liver damage and gallbladder issues,
    A friend recommended this podcast, BINGE BREAKTHROUGH by Jane Pilger which I have found to be very helpful and it really speaks to my experience with this issue. I haven’t conquered it yet,
    however I am working at it. Hoping you look into this podcast and it sheds some light in your binging and helps you. Oh and ya…..what everyone else has said before me….record everything.
    Wishing you success in this journey!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited May 28
    Options
    Pre plan your food for the day the night before and go ahead and get it logged into MFP. Then your ultimate goal is to eat it all — but spread it out so it lasts all day. Also, you have to be willing to put up with a little hunger. I had to realize that it’s very possible to wait to eat even when I start to feel hungry. I can wait for next meal or make my snack small so the rest of my planned food can stretch to the end of the day.
  • Moonchild181
    Moonchild181 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just drink water to help.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You may need to approach your sweets problem like an addiction.
    If you cant trust yourself with a small amount of sweets, it may be best not to have any.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Try preparing healthy high volume/low calories density snacks in advance. I find if I have some cut up carrot, celery, cucumber or whatever, I'm more likely to reach for that than if I have the veggies but not prepared.
  • jess2023mac
    jess2023mac Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I read all these wonderful tips and suggestions. They all make so much sense.
    But how do you get past that mental part? How do you flip that switch in your brain that's telling you you HAVE to eat? You have to fill up that empty part of yourself? You need that rush that food gives you?

Did any of you watch The Whale with Brendan Frasier? The scene where he's got the fridge open and is piling everything he can into his mounth, on his pizza, etc.? I feel like the feelings he was experiencing right then is how I sometimes feel when I've got that feeling bingeing feeling.

I can usually stay on track but when my emotions make me feel like that, that's when I lose all control and could easily gain 10# in a week. Truly, it feels like an instant switch with no rhyme or reason.
  • jess2023mac
    jess2023mac Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 14
    Options
    You may need to approach your sweets problem like an addiction.
    If you cant trust yourself with a small amount of sweets, it may be best not to have any.

Yes. I cannot keep sweets in the house. If dh wants them, they get hidden by him. I've never been the gal who can eat one serving and be done. :(

"It has nothing to do with hunger for me, and I realize it is coping mechanism for emotions, loss, grief, stress etc etc."
    The above poster hit the nail on the head for me too. Especially stress. We usually have all our family for Christmas, Combine that with all the extra baking during the holidays and it's nothing for me to start a new year 20# more. :(
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I read all these wonderful tips and suggestions. They all make so much sense.
    But how do you get past that mental part? How do you flip that switch in your brain that's telling you you HAVE to eat? You have to fill up that empty part of yourself? You need that rush that food gives you?

Did any of you watch The Whale with Brendan Frasier? The scene where he's got the fridge open and is piling everything he can into his mounth, on his pizza, etc.? I feel like the feelings he was experiencing right then is how I sometimes feel when I've got that feeling bingeing feeling.

I can usually stay on track but when my emotions make me feel like that, that's when I lose all control and could easily gain 10# in a week. Truly, it feels like an instant switch with no rhyme or reason.

It's going to be really key to find other ways of calming your emotions.... yoga, a walk, crocheting, reading... whatever calms you that doesn't involve eating. It won't happen in a day, bit the more other options you give yourself to turn to, the less you will turn to food.