Reality Check: Skinny People Must Have Fast Metabolisms

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    So much win right here. Funny thing is some people will see this and still think they are a special snowflake.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I remember that there was an Oprah show where she got her metabolism tested and it was actually higher then average ... I wonder whether it is actually portion size that catches people out, I mean I ate healthily, but 2-3 times the amount that I was supposed to :-)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    YES!!! This is an awesome vid! I hav to tell this to people around me (including doctors). Its ridiculous.

One thing though that is surprising is the second video. Anyone who watched the complete documentary able to tell if she was underestimating her eaten calories or just logging food she ate at all?
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    just linking for viewing later
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think whether you agree or not is irrelevant, what matters is whether or not you're willing to work with what you've got. Even if you do have a slow metabolism, are you just going to sit back and accept it or are you going to do the extra work?
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Ehm hi... I'm Andrea and I used to believe about fast / slow metabolisms.

That was my main excuse why my sister was skinnier (ok, she still is) than me. We have different bodie types but she used to eat a LOT and being skinnier than me. So I'd cry around saying how unfair it was and why I'd not have my mom's genes just like my sister..

Until I came here and I learned all of these things and I started to observed my sister and my mother and found out that they were really, really active! The whole day! At least my mom never seems to stop! .

So there it is.. I will accept that at some point I was THAT person making excuses for herself. But now I know that the only excuse that I had was my own. :flowerforyou:

She is very, very annoying, but I like this quote...

Picture+38.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Tagged - all the research basically agrees with this. I guess the message only gets across in videos for some. :drinker:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I think whether you agree or not is irrelevant, what matters is whether or not you're willing to work with what you've got. Even if you do have a slow metabolism, are you just going to sit back and accept it or are you going to do the extra work?

obesity is a result of eating more than your body needs , fact... They wouldn't be OBESE if they didn't over indulge . We all know how easy it is to hit 3000calories in one day off junk food ( a large big mac meal with a coke / then a milk shake then some nuggets = 3000 calories lol) . So come on , blaming their metabolism is the last thing they should blame .
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    metabolism, like most things, can be trained, mine was ruined with anorexia, I know maintain on 3500-4000 calories a day
  • pmanco2009
    Options
    bump to read later:smile:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    metabolism, like most things, can be trained, mine was ruined with anorexia, I know maintain on 3500-4000 calories a day
    Same here....had anorexia and would gain on las little or less than 1000 calories. Now I am maintaining on 2700-3000 :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Ehm hi... I'm Andrea and I used to believe about fast / slow metabolisms.

That was my main excuse why my sister was skinnier (ok, she still is) than me. We have different bodie types but she used to eat a LOT and being skinnier than me. So I'd cry around saying how unfair it was and why I'd not have my mom's genes just like my sister..

Until I came here and I learned all of these things and I started to observed my sister and my mother and found out that they were really, really active! The whole day! At least my mom never seems to stop! .

So there it is.. I will accept that at some point I was THAT person making excuses for herself. But now I know that the only excuse that I had was my own. :flowerforyou:

She is very, very annoying, but I like this quote...

High NEAT definitely contributes to why I can eat so much. I notice when I'm out with friends that I tend to be the first to move to chase escaping toddlers or whatever.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I want some of that water stuff they had the lady take. Oooh ooh, then afterwards you can pee on a stick, and it'll reveal a number with how many calories you consumed. I'll market it and make $BILLIONS$!!! I shall call it "Peelories" :laugh:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Interesting videos, thanks.

My guess is that the second video, she was recording what she thought serving sizes were, not what they actually were. That's easy to do, especially for someone who is naive of how food labels really work. She seemed genuinely shocked (and hurt) when they told her she "hadn't recorded 43% of her intake", which makes me believe she actually wrote down everything she ate and just didn't know what had which size of serving.

I was wondering how PCOS played into metabolism, as I know people with PCOS struggle to lose weight. However, doing a quick look at pubmed left me wondering if it's really that important of a player. A few articles I skimmed for metabolic and PCOS looked at obese and healthy body weighted individuals with PCOS, leaving me to reconsider the originally believed strong connection between the two.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Gwyneth Paltrow is adorable. How dare you? :angry: :angry:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    YES!!! This is an awesome vid! I hav to tell this to people around me (including doctors). Its ridiculous.

One thing though that is surprising is the second video. Anyone who watched the complete documentary able to tell if she was underestimating her eaten calories or just logging food she ate at all?

I saw it years ago, and I remember that fruit salad being huge compared to what she reported.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my husband is 'naturally' skinny... i logged on here what he eats for a couple of days just out of interest, turns out that he eats about the same amount as me... i am 5ft5, he is 6ft2....
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    :-)