Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging this
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    no no..bigger people have often better metabolism due to amount of food they eat, the only thing is they eat wrong food.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    In to check out later
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    no no..bigger people have often better metabolism due to amount of food they eat, the only thing is they eat wrong food.

I eat the same food now that I did when I was heavy. It's just that the amount had to change.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

What? There is no such thing as wrong food, just too many calories.

Bigger people have higher BMR's due to extra weight yes, if that is what you mean by metabolism.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking for later.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Doubly Labelled Water throws it all out in the open. LOL :laugh:

How can you just "forget" about 43% of what you've eaten??

I don't think they necessarily forget, I just think people suck at estimating portions. Many many times you'll see threads here where someone says they're eating low calories and not losing weight, and then it turns out they aren't weighing/measuring, or they don't log weekends. Although, I do think it's possible to forget about little things like a handful of M&Ms from the candy jar, licking the bowl while baking, or snagging a few crackers on the way through the break room, etc. People are really good at self-deception. The results are similar to this study, which found that even dieticians under-report their intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    In this study they compared caloric intake from 10 female registered dietitians and 10 women of comparable weight who were not dietitians and the study compared the energy intake obtained from 7-day food records with energy expenditure measured over the corresponding 7-day period using doubly labeled water.

Participants were told that the goal was to record food intake as accurately as possible, because it would be compared with the simultaneous measurement of energy expenditure determined by doubly labeled water.

Dietitians underreported their food intake by an average of 223 calories per day, while the non-dietitians underreported their intake by an average of 429 calories per day.

So that study shows that while dietitians also underreported, they were still twice as good at estimating their intake compared to a non-trained person!

It's easy to get a couple of hundred calories wrong, not a couple of thousand like the woman in the video!!
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Good videos!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

um no.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    TRUTH BOMB. Love the BBC documentaries!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing :laugh:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

I don't think they necessarily forget, I just think people suck at estimating portions. Many many times you'll see threads here where someone says they're eating low calories and not losing weight, and then it turns out they aren't weighing/measuring, or they don't log weekends. Although, I do think it's possible to forget about little things like a handful of M&Ms from the candy jar, licking the bowl while baking, or snagging a few crackers on the way through the break room, etc. People are really good at self-deception. The results are similar to this study, which found that even dieticians under-report their intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    In this study they compared caloric intake from 10 female registered dietitians and 10 women of comparable weight who were not dietitians and the study compared the energy intake obtained from 7-day food records with energy expenditure measured over the corresponding 7-day period using doubly labeled water.

Participants were told that the goal was to record food intake as accurately as possible, because it would be compared with the simultaneous measurement of energy expenditure determined by doubly labeled water.

Dietitians underreported their food intake by an average of 223 calories per day, while the non-dietitians underreported their intake by an average of 429 calories per day.

So that study shows that while dietitians also underreported, they were still twice as good at estimating their intake compared to a non-trained person!

It's easy to get a couple of hundred calories wrong, not a couple of thousand like the woman in the video!!

I can say from my own experience that it is very easy to underestimate portion sizes by that much and more when you spread it out over three meals and two or three snacks a day. I had no clue what 100 grams of anything looked like until I started measuring. It was a massive wake up call, for sure.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This statement makes no sense.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Tagging to watch later
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bumping to watch after work.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    not disagreeing at all with this but there are differences in metabolisms, or TDEE

the popular thought is that women burn 2000 calories a day on average, and men burn 2400

I logged my intake as tight as I possibly could, weighed everything, & did the same for my wife;

I'm 5'10 and weighed 88kg at the time, my wife is 5'7 and weighs 57kg

she eats roughly 2,500 cal per day, during our measuring month she ate 2,430 on average and her weight didn't move an ounce

I ate average 1,765; and when we added back my weight loss and discounted my 4 miles per day walk it turns out that my sedentary TDEE came out at 2063

it turns out that I have an average woman's TDEE & she has an average man's!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My extremely overweight co-worker (who I adore) said to me last we worked together "you sure eat a lot for a skinny girl, you must have a fast metabolism"...I know she was meaning it as a compliment but I couldnt help but quickly follow up with "I work out...a lot". Also, I was eating a large piece of grilled chicken, steamed broccoli and a side of homemade pasta w/ marinara while she was eating tortillini alfredo...
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

You mean bigger people often have higher metabolism? It's somewhat true because overweight people generally have more muscle than normal people, because they have that extra weight to lug around day in and day out. They are overweight not due to 'wrong food', it's due to too much food.