Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to myfitnesspal

Hi I'm Alice. I have always struggled with weight problems. Have tried many different programs where I have done well for 5-6 months then lost motivation and returned to being a junk food junkie. My weight is now causing some real health problems. I want to loose weight so my joints won't hurt so much and I can have more energy. Tired of being so uncomfortable. Really need help with motivation.

Replies

• piyo871021
    piyo871021 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi 👋
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Motivation comes and goes, especially if what you mean is enthusiasm and excitement. Your motivation should be improving your health and hopefully reducing joint pain. If that's not enough, focus on building habits. Do you need motivation to brush your teeth? Probably not, because most likely it's a habit.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,684 Member
    Hi there and welcome!

Here are my thoughts on motivation, having lost 70+ lbs myself (it's a popular subject, so I've taken the liberty of more or less copy-pasting from a previous topic :smile: ):

There are types of motivation. You have a deeper motivation for wanting to do this? Mine was and is to feel better about myself and to avoid turning into my mother (so obese that she's out of breath after any little effort, depressed,...). Have a think about that: what is your deeper reason for losing weight? You mention better health, less joint pain, perhaps there are others. What do you want your life to look like?

And then there's the more superficial, enthusiastic type of motivation. That motivation ('feeling like it' or raring to go) isn't what made me lose weight, it's is a finite resource and unreliable.

If I only did things I 'felt like' doing, my life would be in a sorry state 🙂 I would have rotten teeth (I don't particularly 'feel like' brushing my teeth), no one would want to be near me (washing myself or my clothes isn't the most fun thing either), my kitchen would be full of dirty dishes, my house would stink of cat poo/pee, I'd have a terrible credit score (for not paying my bills) etc.

I try to consider exercise or minding what I eat as a task like the ones mentioned above.
    It helps if you keep your routine and goals more or less enjoyable: a type of exercise you enjoy doing, at a reasonable frequency (don't aim for 1 hour of exercise each and every day if you are just starting, for example); foods you enjoy, in a reasonable amount (not banning all the foods you like or having a very low calorie goal).

It's okay to skip your exercise occasionally, or perhaps put in a minimal effort instead of a good one from time to time.
    Some examples:
    - you could say that if its a hard day, you allow yourself the option of stopping your exercise after 15 minuten instead of the full session
    - you could allow yourself a maximum number of days (for example 2) in a row to skip exercise

You could also plan for hard days:
    - have some easy meals in the freezer/ fridge as a backup option when cooking seems like a giant effort or there isn't enough time
    - do food prep in the weekend if you are regularly too busy on week days
    - exercise in the morning if it's too hard to fit it in in the evening (or vice versa: do it in the evening if its tricky to fit in in the morning)
    - always have your workout clothes ready if you think having to collect them is an extra barrier in starting a workout.
    - aim for maintenance calories instead of your weight loss calorie goal on very hard days

Set small intermediate goals and change your habits gradually, don't use motivation as the foundation of your weight-loss 🙂