Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help this introvert get out there

I have so many interests, tennis, hiking, golf, and especially swimming. My introversion holds me back from so many. My friends' schedules differ from mine and can’t usually join me. I know I should just get out there and enjoy it on my own. There’s a pool about 15 minutes away from me and I’ve gone with friends during the Summer but they can’t make it anymore. Please tell me to just go! I know I’m missing out on so much

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,621 Member
    Just go. :):flowerforyou:

I'm an introvert, too.

Maybe you're not like me, but I find that I can blow social worries up in my mind until they're a Big Deal, but then if I make myself do the thing . . . well, maybe the first time or two feels awkward, but in short order it's just fine, sometimes even truly great. (Long term, it's almost always great, if the activity itself suits me.)

For some things, it helps me to add a mission. For example, maybe I'd go for a hike in the Spring with the aim of photographing Spring wildflowers, or after a rain to photograph mushrooms and other fungi, because I like taking photos of that short of thing (just my phone camera, nothing fancy).

In other cases, it helps me to think of a thing as an appointment. I haven't done it as much this summer (because reasons ;) ), but last year I went for solo bike rides nearly every Tuesday and Thursday. Why? Because I'd decide that's what I did on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If I didn't do it, I missed it.

If you enjoy swimming . . . well, that's really mostly a solo thing, isn't it, once we get in the pool? Would it help you to set some goals, like doing X laps and noting the time, then working to do X+1 laps in that time; or working on some technical goal like improving your kick or keeping your body in a more hydrodynamic position in the water or whatever?

Some things I've talked myself into doing, overcoming my fears/hesitations, have been really rewarding. I made actual long-term friends in my YMCA spin class, and my on-water rowing buddies are now a major part of my social life.

Do it, and do it more than once: If your experience is even remotely like mine, you won't be sorry!
  • Agree with what Ann said. I’m also an introvert. It took me a lot to do a group exercise class and I walked out of a few. But I’m glad I went back and kept trying because I love it now and have made some friends
  • 6m4cytkt7y
    6m4cytkt7y Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you both! I love the idea of adding a mission. I'll try that!
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 55 Member
    Do it... do it. lol. I'm 53 and my sister passed away 7 or so years back. When that happened I realized I was just sitting around waiting for life to find me. Life never looks in your house for you. I promised that I would live for both of us and got at it. Don't wait for a big epiphany like like, just chose to live.
  • usandsch
    usandsch Posts: 2 Member
    You are your best friend . . . . . or your worst enemy.
    Its your own choice. Dont wait for anyone to save you. The time is passing, noone is coming to save you.
    When you break it down, everything we tell ourselves are excuses. Introversion doesnt hold you back, its just another excuse.
    Right now, your time is not to look for more inspiration, motivation or companionship, just do it.
    Get your shoes, in your car and go the to the tennis court, the trail you want to hike or the pool to swim.
    Check the mirror and see who you are, you are the one creating.

Dont think. Dont hesitate. Just Do. Confidence comes from action.

I am introvert too. It doesnt mean I am a prisoner of myself.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,041 Member
    usandsch wrote: »
    You are your best friend . . . . . or your worst enemy.
    Its your own choice. Dont wait for anyone to save you. The time is passing, noone is coming to save you.
    When you break it down, everything we tell ourselves are excuses. Introversion doesnt hold you back, its just another excuse.
    Right now, your time is not to look for more inspiration, motivation or companionship, just do it.
    Get your shoes, in your car and go the to the tennis court, the trail you want to hike or the pool to swim.
    Check the mirror and see who you are, you are the one creating.

Dont think. Dont hesitate. Just Do. Confidence comes from action.

I am introvert too. It doesnt mean I am a prisoner of myself.

Love this!

I am also an introvert. I would rather hang out with my dog than most people... lol