Is this caloric deficit good?

Hi. I started my weight loss journey three days ago weighing in at 453. I'm currently 451. I weighed 238 lbs roughly 5 years ago and life threw me a huge curve ball and smacked me in the face, ended up falling into a bad depression and ate my life way. Long story short, I'm tired of feeling like this and having back and joint pain.

According to TDEE calc, my deficit should be 3,150 cals a day for normal weight loss, extreme weight loss shows 2,650 calories. I'm currently consuming around 1980 - 2000 calories a day since I started.

I know this is low compared to the numbers it gave me but by the end of the day that's what I end up with, do I force my self to eat more so I can I hit those recommended deficits or can I stick to my own?

Thank you for reading this. Have a great day.

Answers

• TLatu7
    TLatu7 Posts: 2 Member
    From my experience, I alter my calories based on how I’m feeling. I usually eat 1,600 calories a day consisting of a high protein low carb diet but on some days I go up to 2,600. My daily maintenance calories is 3,406 so I can afford to eat extra if I’m really hungry.

It’s been a little over a month and I’ve lost 32 pounds. I gym daily and stay at a calorie deficit. You got this brother, stay consistent. You can do it, I believe in you.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    The real indicator is not necessarily how many calories you are consuming, but how fast you are losing weight. Generally, a rate of 0.5-1% of bodyweight per week is recommended.

At your current weight, I think you can afford to lose a bit more quickly. And also take into account that quite a few people lose more quickly the first weeks (due to less food in their digestive tract, les water weight due to fewer carbs...) so it's best to judge your rate of loss not taking into account the first few weeks.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    Hi. I started my weight loss journey three days ago weighing in at 453. I'm currently 451. I weighed 238 lbs roughly 5 years ago and life threw me a huge curve ball and smacked me in the face, ended up falling into a bad depression and ate my life way. Long story short, I'm tired of feeling like this and having back and joint pain.

According to TDEE calc, my deficit should be 3,150 cals a day for normal weight loss, extreme weight loss shows 2,650 calories. I'm currently consuming around 1980 - 2000 calories a day since I started.

I know this is low compared to the numbers it gave me but by the end of the day that's what I end up with, do I force my self to eat more so I can I hit those recommended deficits or can I stick to my own?

Thank you for reading this. Have a great day.

I wouldn't force myself to eat more. If you're feeling good, it's fine. You don't really "need" to eat enough to support all the fat you have, so as long as you're eating enough to support your body's important processes (and it sounds like you are) you should be fine. Just pay attention to how you feel.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    edited September 20
    Good job making this decision to take back your one precious life.

At your weight, fast loss is okay. You're trying to save your own life here, and you're worth it.

The online calculators tend to get a little skewed at the higher weights (like over 300 pounds.)

Do you have a medical person involved in your life? I think it would be wise to get one on board. You have plenty of stored energy in the form of body fat and really just need to get some of that off quickly. Your instincts are right.

Here's a good targeted Group for you to read and maybe join here on myfitnesspal:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

I wish you well. You can do it.
  • KatieFour
    KatieFour Posts: 5 Member
    Definitely don't force yourself to eat more but do make sure you're hitting your protein and fiber goals, those will help you feel full and ultimately also contribute to weight loss.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Many people eat only low calorie foods at first--honeymoon period. Then they start missing some of their favorite higher calorie foods. It gets harder. Enjoy your honeymoon. Don't quit when it's over. Dig your heels in and work hard.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    Good day my man.
    First of all I want to also congratulate you on your decision to start losing some excess weight. At 450 lbs, you can lose a bit more aggressively. I do suggest making sure your protein intake is sufficient. 1gram per pound of target body weight should be enough. Though having a slightly slower attack could help spare muscle. Get some resistance training in. Losing weight is amazing, but having some extra muscles ain't to shabby for getting a little attention. Wink wink. Best of luck
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,134 Member
    The app is only a suggestion. If you’re comfortable with eating fewer calories than it suggests then that is a plus especially when you have so much fat to lose. Your actual calorie deficit can be determined after a couple months of dieting.
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 45 Member
    You should go for food replacement. You must avoid certain junk food and replace the same with the one which are enrich in calories so that you will never have any calorie deficit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    ^^^ sorry that makes no sense.

If you never have any calorie deficit you won't lose weight.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    You should go for food replacement. You must avoid certain junk food and replace the same with the one which are enrich in calories so that you will never have any calorie deficit.
    What in the Wild Wild World of Sports.... Listen, just because the stove burner is bright, doesn't mean we touch it..... 😉
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 509 Member

This makes no sense.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    @psychod787

Nice to see you posting again. The forums have died.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    Given your weight, you need to be following the advice and monitored by a professional, not well meaning people on the internet.

Good luck.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,134 Member
    edited September 21
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Given your weight, you need to be following the advice and monitored by a professional, not well meaning people on the internet.

Good luck.
    doctors sometimes give terrible diet advice.

Being that heavy is a product of poor food choices. Simply eliminating the junk food and alcohol alone makes a big difference.
    Start walking.

Start there. Any knowledgeable MD would agree
  • jonb_2921
    jonb_2921 Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 25
    Appreciate the replies, sorry it’s taken me a while to respond to them. I’ll take all the tips in to account while on this journey. In good news, I’m 444 lbs now (lost 9lbs) so far! I’m so motivated and determined to get rid of this weight, thank you all for the words of encouragement.