What brand of fish oil should i take?

ErickAtSwiff
ErickAtSwiff Posts: 5 Member
edited 1:04AM in Food and Nutrition
Hey i am curious, which brand of fish oil and how much mg (omega 3) should i take to healthy increase memory levels. There are so many brands out there,i just don't know which is the healthiest option.

Answers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,178 Member
    edited 8:06AM
    Depends on how much omega 6 you consume. Also the best that can be taken from most of these omega studies and this is just my opinion is that consuming omega 3's (supplements) might reduce decline which isn't the same as improving cognition, which under certain circumstances might do that as well but consuming actual fish that contain omega 3's are not included in those studies, and these studies are only for supplementation. So in that regard "NORDIC NATURALS" is probably one of the better companies that produce omega 3's but consuming the fish that contain these omega 3's is a much much better alternative synergistically and healthier for that reason.

The reason I said it depends on how much omega 6 you consume is because the pathway where omega 3's are absorbed and metabolized by the body is the same pathway where omega 6's are absorbed and they compete for the same enzymes, so basically when there's an imbalance, with a high intake of omega-6s, it can reduce the conversion of omega-3s into their active forms of EPA and DHA.

The natural balance of humans over millennia has been anywhere from a 1:1 ratio to about a 4:1 ratio of omega6/3 and now most of the American population considering the switch to seed oils in the last 100 years but mostly in the last 50 years and the increase in Ultra Processed and Processed foods where these are in abundance we're seeing ratio's from 15:1 to 25:1 and higher, so basically how much omega 3 you need is rather confusing and why most of these studies are confusing.

Anyway saying all this if for example we take a ratio of say 10:1 so some processed and UPF foods and the recommended amount which is, I don't know, not that reliable, is around 1.5 grams a day or about 2 nordic gel caps and if your omega 6 ratio is 10:1 you would want to double that amount to about 4 or 5 gel caps.

Cognitive decline and memory loss is tracking with metabolic syndrome which comes down to hyperinsulinemia which are basically high levels of insulin in the blood characterized by insulin resistance and diabetes but starts young. Children are being diagnosed with dementia which is popularly being described as diabetes 3 in the brain. Essentially, when neurons in the brain become unable to respond to insulin, it can disrupt essential tasks like memory and learning.

If you want to improve cognition I would reframe from consuming a lot of sugary and processed foods, so basically consume more of a whole food diet and one where protein is the focus, and personally that protein should be mostly from animal sources and to reduce carbs overall and have it resemble for the most part a Mediterranean diet and dump the seed oils for fruit oils like olive and avocado oils and instead of taking supplements try to consume about 3 to 6 ounces of fish a week which would include any canned sardines or anchovies which is equal to those 2 gel caps a day. Just my opinion. I just don't think someone taking omega 3 gel caps is going to improve their memory just on that intervention, but you do you and try and i wish you all the best for your health.