Eat Stop Eat..how it's worked for me.

Options

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Reese, how did it go?

I find that the day after a fast, I end up eating a tad bit more than usual (not a lot). Then the next day, I end up eating less. Then the fast. But I'm losing weight, and actually feeling more focused and stronger, so I'm liking it so far.

My next day will be Sunday evening (whenever we finish dinner) until dinnertime on Monday. With a step class on Monday morning.
  • ByTheBeach
    Options
    sounds interesting to me. thanks for posting this. i'd never thought about fasting for the 24hours but i think i'd be able to do it since i'd be sleeping for a portion of it.
  • reesegirl521
    Options
    I felt a little weird...like a headache and stuff. Not sure if it was a result of ESE or just a bad day. I read a post that said try it 2x before you make a decision so I'm going to go with that idea. We'll see!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have had success with this as well. I track my calories on mfp still to keep myself from compensating. I also don't change my training routine for it. Every few weeks though I take a week were I don't do ese. You can keep it as a lifestyle, or use it temporarily
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I felt a little weird...like a headache and stuff. Not sure if it was a result of ESE or just a bad day. I read a post that said try it 2x before you make a decision so I'm going to go with that idea. We'll see!

Definitely give it another shot, I gave up this first time, so you accomplished more then I did! lol, I knew it was going to be hard! the second time around a little easier, now it's nothing,..a breeze..good luck
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    where can i get more free info on this?
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Everyone, keep in mind this is for those who are in fitness competition who need to get down for training. It is not wise for the average Joe to do this as a diet (knowing how I hate the word diet). If you are eating right and exercising right plus not in competition for Ms Fitness whoever I advise do not take this as your way of getting down. Read it with a grain of salt and realize it is not for everyone.

It seems like wow it works for her but you also have to understand how fit my friend here is and what her profiles describes as her goals. If you are doing a religious fast or whatever that is one thing but to do what she is doing is not wise for the casual person. Got to be a little common sense approach vs a willingness to jump on the first easy train to runs by the house.

I for one fast at the beginning of the year with my church for about 5 days straight unless my activities cause my to shrink that to 3 or whenever I feel I need an answer from the Lord but other than that I eat, exercise, and sleep.

If I was training for competition as in the old days I would restrict calories and carbs but I am not so I am training my body for a lifestyle change that you all can believe in.

So, if you want to gamble on your lifestyle change and go with fasting it is up to you but do it after reading this warning label. Wish you all the best.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Cparter, while youre right its not for everyone I respectfully disagree that ese is just for the fitness community. The whole reason people's bodies store fat is in case of famine/fasting. There isn't a more natural way to lose fat, and unless you're diabetic or don't stay hydrated it's very safe. The proponent of ESE says everyone can do it. I am not training for a competition but it helped me not only lose weight, but reset my digestive system and impulse control. I can't tell you how great it actually feels to give the system that rest so often, and I definitely think it's a doable lifestyle change. I probably won't do it weekly forever, but at least once a month I think I will find it necessary for my overall health :flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Doing second one today but doing 22hrs instead of 24 as I REALLY want my post workout nutrition this time. Had some crazy DOMS last time and going to see if it was post workout nutrition related or not :)
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    but it helped me not only lose weight, but reset my digestive system and impulse control. I can't tell you how great it actually feels to give the system that rest so often, and I definitely think it's a doable lifestyle change.
    I definitely agree with this. I have found that it has helped tremendously mentally and physically. Physically, it has allowed me to incorporate breads back into my diet (usually the day before the fast) without any adverse effects of constipation, bloating, or discomfort. Mentally, it helps me to become more focused on things on the day of the fast as I am trying to distract myself. I am actually getting a lot done!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    Doing second one today but doing 22hrs instead of 24 as I REALLY want my post workout nutrition this time. Had some crazy DOMS last time and going to see if it was post workout nutrition related or not :)

22 hours is a HUGE accomplishment. I wish you all the success.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Everyone, keep in mind this is for those who are in fitness competition who need to get down for training. It is not wise for the average Joe to do this as a diet (knowing how I hate the word diet). If you are eating right and exercising right plus not in competition for Ms Fitness whoever I advise do not take this as your way of getting down. Read it with a grain of salt and realize it is not for everyone.

It seems like wow it works for her but you also have to understand how fit my friend here is and what her profiles describes as her goals. If you are doing a religious fast or whatever that is one thing but to do what she is doing is not wise for the casual person. Got to be a little common sense approach vs a willingness to jump on the first easy train to runs by the house.

I for one fast at the beginning of the year with my church for about 5 days straight unless my activities cause my to shrink that to 3 or whenever I feel I need an answer from the Lord but other than that I eat, exercise, and sleep.

If I was training for competition as in the old days I would restrict calories and carbs but I am not so I am training my body for a lifestyle change that you all can believe in.

So, if you want to gamble on your lifestyle change and go with fasting it is up to you but do it after reading this warning label. Wish you all the best.

I think the majority of this site would be well served to understand how intermittent fasting works and how it's not some form of starvation mode or crash diet. It's liberating to not be tied down by the tethers of eating on the occasions we are on the run or in inconvenient situations.

Our bodies evolved in a feast or famine environment. So no, I completely disagree that it's somehow magically unwise to fast for 24 hours. We're designed to do it. If we weren't, human civilization would not exist.

Case closed.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Got locked out of my house for last 2 hrs. Made the 24 :P
  • manda1284
    Options
    I started Eat Stop Eat about 3 weeks ago, and I could not be more happy that I stumbled upon it! It makes absolute sense to me, and it really takes the unnecessary turmoil of "dieting" out of the equation. I have lost 2 pounds, and have not put them back on. Usually, after a "strict" day of dieting, I will lose....but then I'll bloat right back up once the weekend hits. I chose to "bookend" my weekends with the 24 hour fast, so I actually lost weight after a weekend of eating out and having a few cocktails. WOW! I can't wait to see the results to come. I found it interesting too that the foods I craved after the fasts were actually very healthy ones. I wasn't craving cheeseburgers and pizza, like you think you'd be if you were "ravenous".... What I like about it too, is that it doesn't promise fast weight loss. It's slow and steady (1-2 lbs a week), which makes me think that it won't come back on. Plus, it's a great lifestyle tool to use forever. Just think of Thanksgivings, vacations, etc. It can really come in handy! I love to do strength training, so this is perfect for me.

On a side note....when I read about Eat Stop Eat, it triggered a memory I had from years and years ago, when I was talking to a friend of mine. She told me that her aunt, who has always stayed thin and fit even after 3 kids, had a secret of her own. She would basically eat whatever she wanted all week long, and then she would fast on Mondays. This was a long time ago, and now I'm thinking...wow, she was really onto something there! I'll keep you posted.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    manda1284 - I totally agree with you. It is very liberating. Muscle_Boy.gif Great job on all your successes. After completing three fast days, it's great how "successful" I feel. And it made me NOT tied to the scale because I liked how I felt physically and mentally. Didn't hurt that the scale actually dropped.

jzpowahz - Sorry to hear about your house lockout - but CONGRATS on your completion of 24 hours

AFM:
    I go for my second fast tonight. I've actually learned to drink my coffee black. My sister-in-law too is cutting back on her calories, and I was joking with her how slowly we are now drinking our iced coffees because they don't have all the yummy sugars and creams in them :)

Thanks for all the support and success stories on this thread. It is encouraging and very helpful to not be alone.

Have a great day! I'll be back to post. Mine starts about 5:00 tonight.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    Well, I'm going to do my fasting starting last night at 8:30. Of course, it has only been 7 hours as I had to work early this morning. But my kids are away and I always find it easier to fast when I'm not having to feed them :). And I have a pretty packed day that hopefully will keep me busy. Last night, went to a pool party, and although I didn't eat "bad", I didn't eat "great" given the food choices. So today will be my physical and mental "reset" day so I don't tailspin into a lot of excuses for bad eating.

I hope you all are being successful :) I'll probably come back and do countdown, even if only for myself, so as to feel inspired but all your stories. Have a great one!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    (
    The whole reason people's bodies store fat is in case of famine/fasting.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure that while fat stores do help you if you are forced to fast for some reason that the actual reason they are stored is because the body is physically unable to excrete extra energy. I think the rest of that statement is something a uh popular writer might assume because it is easy to make it sound like it makes sense and it helps sell books. If you think about it, if that were really the reason then our bodies would surely stop storing fat when they had a high enough amount stored to provide energy for a period of famine(which would certainly not be 100lbs or more worth) and surely people would never actually become obese?

I'm not saying I think fasting is bad. I don't have a problem at all with religious fasts. I also don't have a problem with you trying something you are happy to try as long as it isn't making you uncomfortable or unhappy. I don't think the best way to lose weight is by fasting but that's because I believe in quality of life over weight loss results. I would much prefer to eat during the day and feel comfortable. Not only feel comfortable but be as alert and efficient as I can be.

Also, in terms of safety. I agree that it's not overly unsafe. I have to disagree that it is AS safe as eating regularly. Working in a hospital, I see a lot of people that run into problems when they don't eat for a day - random fainting, dizziness, severe headaches, dehydration. Of course that doesn't happen to everybody but the point is there wouldn't be the same risk if you were eating regularly which is kind of the definition of 'less safe'.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    On a side note....when I read about Eat Stop Eat, it triggered a memory I had from years and years ago, when I was talking to a friend of mine. She told me that her aunt, who has always stayed thin and fit even after 3 kids, had a secret of her own. She would basically eat whatever she wanted all week long, and then she would fast on Mondays. This was a long time ago, and now I'm thinking...wow, she was really onto something there! I'll keep you posted.

a lot of 'naturally' skinny people do this intuitively. :) they are in control of the food, not the food in control of them.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    My reports from doing 2 fasted days in the past 14.

No weight loss (exactly the same).
    Body Fat: Was at 7% per calipers and 10.4% per digital tester. Not at 6% per calipers and 8.8% per digital tester.
    My BMR is 2100.

I do 2 days strength training a week and 3 days of mma/other cardio workout. Weekends generally do something but nothing in particular.

Average gross cals for 2 weeks was 2132, average net cals (after exercise) was 1610.

Not able to report on any strength changes in this time period as too short. I did equal my PB bench press though.

So for me, no weight loss which is interesting given that I was at an average calorie deficit but there has been some fat loss according to two different methods. This amount of change is not big enough for a mirror change but you can't expect miracles in 2 weeks.

The first week for me had an increase in body fat and stagnant weight (could be because of one ridiculous binge day even with a heap of exercise! :P) whereas the second week had a decrease in body fat but stagnant weight.

So I couldn't really say if this will be helpful long term but it seems that it has worked for short term fat loss. I may continue doing this in the future at once a week (might time it for places that I know have only bad food) and see how it goes :)

What have other people found?
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I wanna try this