Is curvy the same thing as fat?

Options
123457»

Replies

• my friend said, "ur not skinny but ur not overweight ur curvy" and I will remember that for the rest of my life. it's making me feel so ****ty cuz she basically called me fat. I'm 5'7 and 140lbs and I'm 14.....
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    my friend said, "ur not skinny but ur not overweight ur curvy" and I will remember that for the rest of my life. it's making me feel so ****ty cuz she basically called me fat. I'm 5'7 and 140lbs and I'm 14.....
    your friend is an idiot
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Maybe. I think some people appear curvy while being technically 'overweight' by a bit, but that's not the same thing as 'fat' to me.

When they are technically 'fat', or significantly overweight, it becomes less likely to be 'curvy' in my opinion. (still possible, but less likely) It comes down to factors like body shape, frame, height, and where the person carries their body fat.
    I don't like the concept of people calling themselves or being called curvy by others when significantly overweight. It's just not the whole picture. While self acceptance and confidence is a good thing, 'curvy' is often a broad, over-used definition encompassing women who are technically a healthy weight range, and those who are not. So it is not a good thing in my opinion, because maybe it could send the message it's a good idea to just put a nice label on it, ignore the truth, stay at a weight that might be putting your health at risk. And eventually they could unconsciously wind up getting bigger.

Personally, I have become more curvy since losing. I would not have said I was curvy before. There were no defined hips or waist, it was all one shape. I had big boobs, big thighs, big hips and rounded belly. Now I'm 36-31-38...so like bit of a pear/hourglass at the moment.
  • dinadeee
    dinadeee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    no
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I hope not