Flu Shots? thoughts

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

If they are immunocompromised, the flu is really the least of their worries.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

Really? I will be sure to call work and tell them I can no longer come in because I am not "normal" and should not be around the general population. I have asthma, compromises my immune system. Funny though, my Dr. seems to think I should live a normal life. BTW my wife has a severely compromised immune system. I got the flu shot as did she but still ended up with her hospitalized because someone at work got the flu and I ended up taking shed virus home to her on my clothing.
    You are saying your asthma is compromising your immune system? Ok lol

To my knowledge, asthma itself isn't but asthma is an autoimmune disorder. The primary way to fight asthma is to suppress immune response.
    not all of them are. Bronchodilators do not do that
  • DatMurse
    Options
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

This is quite ignorant. What about people with autoimmune diseases who are taking immuno-suppressants? They may not be severely immuno-compromised, but still at risk. Many are active people who work, go to the gym, etc. There are also people who have had transplants, are doing very well and living normal lives, but must take immuno-suppressive medications to help prevent rejection. I could go on...

eta: apologies to lithezebra. I posted before I saw that you had already addressed this (quite well, too). :flowerforyou:
    For them to avoid crowded areas and using caution with contact is the most basic of teaching of people who are immunossed status. If they go to the gym depending on tgeir degree they have to wear full gloves. It will vary to the degree but people who are in nadir stage of chemo have an extremely low wbc.

You are 100% incorrect. There are varying degrees of immuno-suppression and there are LOTS of illnesses that are treated with immunosuppresive medications These patients are NOT advised to stay out of contact with people. Not everyone taking "chemo" has cancer or is severely immunosuppressed. Not everyone who is immunocompromised has "extremely" low wbc. You are really digging a big hole here because it is clear you are ignorant of a huge range of treatments for various illnesses that involve some degree of immunosupression, and not all require the kind of risk management you are describing.
    Do you even know how this conversation started? They were talking about people should get the flu shot because of immunocompromised people.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options

However, my experienced doesn't mean jack ****. If you think the shot helps you, by all means! Go for it! But don't think it makes you immune to every flu strain out there, it simply doesn't. You're still at risk. So take precautions as usual and don't treat non-shot takers as disease spreaders. 31 years. 2 flu bouts. Whereas people on this page have admitted to getting the shot and getting the flu every year they got the shot. Who's the disease spreader here?

And that's all I'll say about that.

Now everyone grab a beer and let's try to be civil and rational shall we?

I forgot to make the above point: If you want to get the shot, be my guest. Because that's what makes you feel safer/better/whatever. I don't get it because it doesn't make me feel that way. Plus I'm kind of anti-shot (and note NOT anti-vac) anyway... with the one exception of getting a tetanus shot in college to be able to legitimately skip a french class I hadn't done the homework in.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Really? I will be sure to call work and tell them I can no longer come in because I am not "normal" and should not be around the general population. I have asthma, compromises my immune system. Funny though, my Dr. seems to think I should live a normal life. BTW my wife has a severely compromised immune system. I got the flu shot as did she but still ended up with her hospitalized because someone at work got the flu and I ended up taking shed virus home to her on my clothing.

Obviously you know nothing about asthma. Front line asthma drugs, cortocosteroids, are immune suppressants.
    you didn't say you were suppressed due to the fact you were on corticosteroids. You said asthma suppressed your immune system
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you EVER had an asthma attack?!? I'm sorry but this is where I put my foot down.

Get educated before you start making comments like that son.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Do you or your family get your flu shots? What are your thoughts on them??

I've never gotten a flu shot.

When I was a teenager, my mother became so ill from a flu shot that she was in bed for 3 months. I realize that's unusual, but it scared me -- I would rather have the flu than go through that.

I got the flu 3 years ago (the first time in forever, can't even remember) and it really slammed me -- 102 fever, sick for 3 weeks, couldn't go to work for 3 weeks.... haven't been sick since, not even a cold. I still remember my mother's reaction and will take my chances and not get a shot this year.

During flu season, if I have to go to a public place, I wash my hands afterwards, try not to touch my hands to my eyes, nose or mouth, don't touch the magazines in the dentist office, etc. People with viruses come into my office and cough all over the place -- sometimes I bring Lysol wipes and wipe off the doorknobs and light switches.
  • DatMurse
    Options

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you EVER had an asthma attack?!? I'm sorry but this is where I put my foot down.

Get educated before you start making comments like that son.
    So other than the inflamation causing bronchoconstriction, and closing your airway. Please tell me how it makes you more susceptible to infection.
    I will be waiting on you to explain the pathophysiology of how it affects your immune response since you are educated
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Never had the flu, never had a flu shot. My mom always got one but she worked in a hospital. She never felt the need for the rest of us to get vaccinated. I have a pretty solid immune system too. I get maybe one or two colds a year and they are generally mild.
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a nearly superhuman immune system. I rarely get sick, and if I do, it lasts a fraction of the time that people I know suffer.

That said, I get the flu shot every year. I don't have insurance and I'm not volunteering right now, but it's worth the $25 to me.

A wise half Vulcan once said, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Even if there was only a 0.01% chance of it helping someone, I'd still do it.

My mom's best friend from childhood had a kidney transplant a few years ago. For some reason, they didn't give her a flu shot (maybe she declined, I don't know). Within a week of going home, she contracted H1N1 and died. My dad is also immuno-compromised. Despite these two facts, and that she works in a hospital, my mom refuses to get a flu shot. Her tinfoil hat seems to be helping her though.
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    I worked in Aged Care for many years
    and had the flu shot twice, both times I got very ill ... and I wont have it again!

It can only protect you from a past strain...
    If your not prone to illness and prefer a natural lifestyle (clean eating) yada yada
    then why would you allow something foreign to be put in your body

Each to their own I guess ...
    that was my 2 cents spent :))x
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I wish I didnt but I work in healthcare and they are required at my job. ppl literally get terminated if they dont get them! i actually got the letter today to REMIND me to get it by November or I am terminated :(
    My husband and our future kids will not
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I got the shot (work mandated), AND the flu, last year
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

This is quite ignorant. What about people with autoimmune diseases who are taking immuno-suppressants? They may not be severely immuno-compromised, but still at risk. Many are active people who work, go to the gym, etc. There are also people who have had transplants, are doing very well and living normal lives, but must take immuno-suppressive medications to help prevent rejection. I could go on...

eta: apologies to lithezebra. I posted before I saw that you had already addressed this (quite well, too). :flowerforyou:
    For them to avoid crowded areas and using caution with contact is the most basic of teaching of people who are immunossed status. If they go to the gym depending on tgeir degree they have to wear full gloves. It will vary to the degree but people who are in nadir stage of chemo have an extremely low wbc.

You are 100% incorrect. There are varying degrees of immuno-suppression and there are LOTS of illnesses that are treated with immunosuppresive medications These patients are NOT advised to stay out of contact with people. Not everyone taking "chemo" has cancer or is severely immunosuppressed. Not everyone who is immunocompromised has "extremely" low wbc. You are really digging a big hole here because it is clear you are ignorant of a huge range of treatments for various illnesses that involve some degree of immunosupression, and not all require the kind of risk management you are describing.
    Do you even know how this conversation started? They were talking about people should get the flu shot because of immunocompromised people.

Yes, I know. There are many immunocompromised people walking around and it helps them when others are vaccinated. Many people are on medication to DELIBERATELY suppress their immune systems because they have autoimmune diseases or have had organ transplants. Many of these people are only slightly immunocompromised, so they are NOT advised by their doctors to avoid people, or quit their jobs, or wear gloves at the gym, etc. However, they are at higher risk when it comes to communicable illnesses. It is helpful to these people if others are vaccinated against various illnesses. There are varying degrees of immunosuppresion and not all of these people are advised by their doctors to avoid public places (as YOU stated repeatedly).
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Flu's mostly harmless. Flu shots are a crapshoot anyway. I don't see the point.

That attitude KILLS people. Get an education.

This makes me HULK angry.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have a very persistent case of thyroid cancer so I definitely get one.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My family always gets flu shots now. I did get influenza in 1996. I was 9 months pregnant and I almost died, and I almost lost the baby. I really don't remeber most of it except for having a terrible fever and extreme headache. I attempted to drive myself to the hospital and just couldn't move.....I ended up throwing the car into park on a very busy road, just hoping someone would help me....I don't remeber labor, don't remember delivery....everything was just dark. All I remember is the headache.

This year there is an egg free vaccine available. Get the facts.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My family always gets flu shots now. I did get influenza in 1996. I was 9 months pregnant and I almost died, and I almost lost the baby. I really don't remeber most of it except for having a terrible fever and extreme headache. I attempted to drive myself to the hospital and just couldn't move.....I ended up throwing the car into park on a very busy road, just hoping someone would help me....I don't remeber labor, don't remember delivery....everything was just dark. All I remember is the headache.

This year there is an egg free vaccine available. Get the facts.

That is seriously scary.... I hope both you and your child had no lingering effects.

We can get them at work for free, so I get them. Last time I had flu I was out of work for a week and wishing I was for a second, and I was still in my relatively healthy 20s. I've been getting them for years and have never had a bad reaction--fingers crossed.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    We've never had the vaccination. My husband and youngest kid got the flu once, three years ago at the same time, and that's been it for our family of five. I don't feel strongly either way about the vaccination, but it hasn't been an issue for us, (the flu), so we'll keep doing what we're doing.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Flu's mostly harmless. Flu shots are a crapshoot anyway. I don't see the point.

That attitude KILLS people. Get an education.

This makes me HULK angry.

I agree. Herd immunity is a *huge* thing for those who can't be immunized themselves. I get the shot now that I'm in my 40s and work with college students, not because I can't deal with the flu myself (yes, it sucks, but it's not that bad), but because my friends and co-workers who can't get the shot, for whatever reason, don't deserve to risk exposure just because I am a special snowflake who doesn't need the vaccine.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ... with the one exception of getting a tetanus shot in college to be able to legitimately skip a french class I hadn't done the homework in.

:laugh: