Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Never be ashamed of Leslie Sanson!!! I STILL walk to her dvd's!!! I started out with her, and I will do her every once in a while just for a change of pace! I walk a ton...and I am not a runner... I can't, hurts my knees/feet too much...but walking I CAN do.

Don't let anyone discourage you! You do it for YOU...and walking IS exercise, and it DOES help you lose weight. Keep your chin up... and keep walking. :flowerforyou:
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Walking (where I'm from) is usually classed as one of the best forms of exercise you can do.

It's free, easy, good for you and mentally relaxing.

Don't let anybody put down your walking, it's more than what they're probably doing.
  • ziggiezambi
    Options
    It's part of my exercise routine. I like to get on the tread mill and put it on about 3-3.5 and stick with it for 3hours. :P
    I also like swimming laps. I walk the roads to I think I'd do that more if we had sidewalks where I live. :/ Also Light weights and crunches. :) I think any exercise should be considered a good thing.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Walking (where I'm from) is usually classed as one of the best forms of exercise you can do.

It's free, easy, good for you and mentally relaxing.

Don't let anybody put down your walking, it's more than what they're probably doing.

Right on. Mentally relaxing for sure.
  • wickedmessenger
    wickedmessenger Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker. Outside, on the treadmill. Prefer to walk outside in the park or go hiking or what not. I also do strength training 2-3 days per week.

I've used those Leslie Sansone workouts as well and I agree - they are great. She works your upper body as well as your lower body. Good stuff!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Just had to come back and say. I am no longer diabetic. I believe it's because I walk several hours a day and have cut my calories enough to lose a half pound to a pound a week.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I walk daily. Bum knees eliminate a lot of other choices and anyone who is out walking is doing 100% more than someone sitting on the couch! I do Leslie Sansone on days the weather makes me stay home. :bigsmile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just had to come back and say. I am no longer diabetic. I believe it's because I walk several hours a day and have cut my calories enough to lose a half pound to a pound a week.
    FABULOUS!!!!
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Walking to work is my biggest challenge in the week. It's so easy to jump in the car and drive. I set myself challenges for walking. Last month I set myself a challenge of 30 miles over a month. I didn't meet it but rolled it over to the end of this month for a target of 60 miles. I use the free app "run keeper" on my phone. It tracks where you walked and I have found it's pretty accurate when compared to my HRM readings.

Enjoy your walking, I watched those walking videos when someone mentioned them before. Use whatever tool you can you to keep moving.
    ????
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Walking to work is my biggest challenge in the week. It's so easy to jump in the car and drive. I set myself challenges for walking. Last month I set myself a challenge of 30 miles over a month. I didn't meet it but rolled it over to the end of this month for a target of 60 miles. I use the free app "run keeper" on my phone. It tracks where you walked and I have found it's pretty accurate when compared to my HRM readings.

Enjoy your walking, I watched those walking videos when someone mentioned them before. Use whatever tool you can you to keep moving.
    ????
    Great challenge! I walk daily, but know that's not the norm for many folks. GREAT challenge!
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to live within a mile of my work so most of the time, I walk to & from work. I jog every other day & in between I walk up to 8 miles, and on days off I'll do my walk in the morning and again in the evening. On my walking day's I'll throw in a couple sets of pushups, ab crunches & planks during my walk... its what works for me....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to live within a mile of my work so most of the time, I walk to & from work. I jog every other day & in between I walk up to 8 miles, and on days off I'll do my walk in the morning and again in the evening. On my walking day's I'll throw in a couple sets of pushups, ab crunches & planks during my walk... its what works for me....
    You're almost me! I live a couple of miles from work, and I ride most days, and walk the other days. I run every other day (3-5 miles) and walk for 30 min or so on the non running days. I do pilates 3 times a week and lift a couple of times a week. On saturdays I sleep.
    Isn't it great to be able to walk to work (and dinner and coffee..) I feel SO LUCKY that we can do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I don't know you guys.....buy my support team somewhat sucks when I begin to talk about my cardiovascular choice......WALKING. I do Leslie Sansone EVERYDAY and have seen great results but I hate telling people I WALK....because they never have anything good to say about it......but Leslie is NO JOKE.....I usually have an average HR of 150 and reach highs of 166-168 (94%). So I'm sweating and my heart is getting a workout.

Leslie is the only workout I can truly do and STAY COMMITTED to. I can't commit to others....but I want to celebrate and be proud of my walking choice.....ughhhhh.....any walkers out there with great things to say about it? I really need to hear some good things right about now. I'm having one of those days.
    Walking is great for cardio vascular exercise. And if you're sticking to it, then it's a plus. So never be ashamed to state it's your exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill at my gym and I am getting slowly better at it .. but it is still hard for me. I hope to get better as time goes on. I think that walking is great .. as most everyone can do it.
  • soyum
    soyum Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've literally walked off over 140lbs so far. Granted...it's been a slow process of 3 years now, but there is no doubt....walking works.
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I walk 3 miles home from college on most of my college days. It takes me an hour and is my excercise for the week.
    When I'm not at college I have a long circuit around town that I walk instead.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's probably the lack of intensity and the inefficiency of burning calories compared to, say, running or kettlebell training. It's why when people think of burning fat, they also don't think of tai chi!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I walk because it is free. There were no treadmills, Gyms, racetracks or theme parks in prehistoric times

SO WALKING WAS THE THING.

Running was the thing you did to avoid getting eaten.

Whilst I am walking no-one comes up to me and asks me if I want to go for the special 'old farts club' rate of four quid a session whilst saying that I will have to fill out a form.

Also I do not have to be with any other people

And I can wear what I want

NO - one tries to tell me how to walk, or how I should be cool whilst I walk

And I decide where to go!!

I have already healed both of my legs through walking.

They have got younger because they were painful and swollen before - (it must also mean that my heart has improved.)

I can now wear my shoes with comfort.

Also I have gone down a few sizes and can wear my old shirts again

Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot get your youth back - by walking every day
  • vermillionlove
    vermillionlove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If they disregard something you can stick with, have fun with, and see results with.. I say disregard THEM!
  • morpheousneo
    morpheousneo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome. Nothing to be ashamed off. It's easy and it's free. It is easy on my prone-to-sprain right knee. I walk back from work twice per week - 1.5 hours each day at fast pace. It also means I do less Tae Bo sessions each week ( 1 - 2) which is always good. If my knee is shot then I just walk and lift weights. Average weight loss per month is 6 lbs, so it does not hurt any. Keep walking and do not worry about anyone else :)