Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread is, "Why do people disregard walking?" All of you people who are promoting walking are off topic.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I have lost almost 40 pounds walking since April 2013. I decided in April to leave my car in the driveway, walk to work, walk to the grocery store and other local errands, plus I hike on the weekend in a beautiful nearby national park. I've bought gasoline one time since April, so in addition to losing weight I've saved a lot of money and completely upped the quality of my life.
  • LeighDavies1
    Options
    Thankfully my job means I normally get my 10k steps in for the day, including lifting and bending etc. However, with my step tracker I realised that all of my days off normally ended up with me having barely any steps.

Changed this routine on my day off today by going for a really enjoyable 5 mile walk! I've just got to focus on making these lifestyle changes into habits and not one offs so to speak. Walking is definitely something I'm taking seriously from now on!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Leslie Sansone! She was my springboard to building up my stamina and continuing before getting bored and quitting. Started with her 2 mile DVDs and built up to her 5 milers. I just wish she had even more!
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow, Hollis! I knew you were doing lots of walking but only buying gas once since April? Way to go!!!!!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I walk. A LOT. As in 10 miles plus or minus most days except in the summer when I am tied to work all day and most of the evening. I do not disregard it at all. I started off slowly because I was fat and not fit. I use a Leslie Sansone DVD and walk to that on the days I can't get outdoors. I hike A LOT. Uphill and wearing a backpack. I have lost over 70 pounds. And I can hop on a bicycle after not riding for months and ride that sucker 50+ miles in 80 degree temps. My dr. is jealous of my yearly blood draw panel results. Walking is not a joke.

Cardio is great for weight loss. And lifting and other strength exercises help to keep it all toned. Neither way is laughable or less than the other.

Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise! Do what works for YOU and rock it!

Barb
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had to wait about an hour yesterday before I could see the doctor. I'm sure I drove all the patients and staff nuts but for an hour, I paced up and down the waiting room and the hallways where the exam rooms were. My fitbit says I got in over 4,000 steps just taking advantage of what would have been wasted time.
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love to walk. I've been walking 15-24 miles a week for a year & a half & have lost 75 lbs. doing so. With none of the lower leg problems you read about that runners can get ie., shin splints, stress fractures etc. So when people i know tell me I should take up running I tell them thanks but no thanks....I'll stick to walking :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I don't know you guys.....buy my support team somewhat sucks when I begin to talk about my cardiovascular choice......WALKING. I do Leslie Sansone EVERYDAY and have seen great results but I hate telling people I WALK....because they never have anything good to say about it......but Leslie is NO JOKE.....I usually have an average HR of 150 and reach highs of 166-168 (94%). So I'm sweating and my heart is getting a workout.

Leslie is the only workout I can truly do and STAY COMMITTED to. I can't commit to others....but I want to celebrate and be proud of my walking choice.....ughhhhh.....any walkers out there with great things to say about it? I really need to hear some good things right about now. I'm having one of those days.

I'm a people and I don't disregard walking, I love it and dancing. I plan on doing them for the rest of my life.

You are getting the results that are needed for successful cardio, if your friends belittle that, sounds like you need some friends with similar goals. I have lost a lot of weight with Leslie, in the past and she got me back into movement this time too.

Friend me if you wish.

And several others on this thread are also into walking. I'm sure many of them would welcome another walker.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I have lost almost 40 pounds walking since April 2013. I decided in April to leave my car in the driveway, walk to work, walk to the grocery store and other local errands, plus I hike on the weekend in a beautiful nearby national park. I've bought gasoline one time since April, so in addition to losing weight I've saved a lot of money and completely upped the quality of my life.

Just want to say this is AWESOME.

Good for you.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't know you guys.....buy my support team somewhat sucks when I begin to talk about my cardiovascular choice......WALKING. I do Leslie Sansone EVERYDAY and have seen great results but I hate telling people I WALK....because they never have anything good to say about it......but Leslie is NO JOKE.....I usually have an average HR of 150 and reach highs of 166-168 (94%). So I'm sweating and my heart is getting a workout.

Leslie is the only workout I can truly do and STAY COMMITTED to. I can't commit to others....but I want to celebrate and be proud of my walking choice.....ughhhhh.....any walkers out there with great things to say about it? I really need to hear some good things right about now. I'm having one of those days.

I LOVE LESLIE!!!

Her workouts have been my #1 exercise since January 2012. She is awesome and it is REAL exercise!
  • wondermommie85
    wondermommie85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I walk or jog for at least an hour daily. After a few weeks I have noticed that I am getting my butt back.
  • runlilyrun
    Options
    I'm English, but when I went to the US I noticed that not many people walk anywhere.
    Did you also notice we're one of the fattest nations? Correlation perhaps?:smile:
    the US is much more spread out, and with such varying climate that in many parts walking to work, school, etc. is just not feasible for most people. I'm fortunate enough to live in a small town where I can actually walk to most things I need (except work, that's 28 miles away) but I still have to walk at least 1.5 miles to get to any stores or restaurants. I do it, and I enjoy it. but we are a car commuter culture. Yes, I do blame that in part for our high rate of obesity... but I'm doing my part to lower that rate by a smidgeon ;)
    We are spread out. By our own doing. Many european communities have challenging weather, yet they walk. We are a car culture, for sure. I live in a medium sized city with mediocre mass transit. I walk to stores, restaurants, and work (usually I ride, actually). I ride the bus (which then means walking) as much as possible. It all adds up. Good for you!

I think the mass transit is what makes the difference - you walk to the bus or train stop and then around wherever you're going, and of course sometimes you walk to a different station than you started at.

Personally, I don't log the incidental walking around town doing errands, but if I spend a day in London walking all over I'll log it, or on the days when I walk instead of running, cycling etc then I will log it.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona where it's still over 100°, walking is my primary exercise but unfortunately I have to do most indoors. What's best is when I put my lil one in the stroller and go, I can definitely feel a difference between that and walking solo. BTW I usually walk about 6 mi a day.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    This thread has me inspired. I'm going to start walking to and from work ( an hour each way )

Why not? September has beautiful colours and cool breezes here, and I can still go to the gym and do some weights.

I think everyone should do what works for them, and just find as many extra ways to get moving in a day and all will be well.
  • SandieM7
    SandieM7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am a walker......running is just not my thing. I try and walk 4+ miles on the days I walk. Use the sports tracker, Endomondo which will sync with MFP. Today's calorie burn was 883 calories - 1:00.13 (time) 4.17 miles....that's not a bad workout in my opinion. Keep up the walking it has GREAT results.
  • aquonette418
    aquonette418 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Leslie has helped me walk off 43 pounds!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm English, but when I went to the US I noticed that not many people walk anywhere.
    Did you also notice we're one of the fattest nations? Correlation perhaps?:smile:
    the US is much more spread out, and with such varying climate that in many parts walking to work, school, etc. is just not feasible for most people. I'm fortunate enough to live in a small town where I can actually walk to most things I need (except work, that's 28 miles away) but I still have to walk at least 1.5 miles to get to any stores or restaurants. I do it, and I enjoy it. but we are a car commuter culture. Yes, I do blame that in part for our high rate of obesity... but I'm doing my part to lower that rate by a smidgeon ;)
    We are spread out. By our own doing. Many european communities have challenging weather, yet they walk. We are a car culture, for sure. I live in a medium sized city with mediocre mass transit. I walk to stores, restaurants, and work (usually I ride, actually). I ride the bus (which then means walking) as much as possible. It all adds up. Good for you!

I think the mass transit is what makes the difference - you walk to the bus or train stop and then around wherever you're going, and of course sometimes you walk to a different station than you started at.

Personally, I don't log the incidental walking around town doing errands, but if I spend a day in London walking all over I'll log it, or on the days when I walk instead of running, cycling etc then I will log it.
    I was in London in July with my fitbit and was averaging over 23,000 steps a day. Not a lot of fat folks on the London Tube that's for sure.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming...2 of the healthiest things you can do to exercise your body!

Unless you cant swim. :laugh: