What Happens to Runners in the Winter?

Options

Replies

• Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    In the UK the hardest part is the dark. It's dark from about 3.30pm until 8am in the middle of December.

I treadmill my shorter runs and leave the long ones for the weekend. I can't face 10k on a treadmill.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    "harsh Georgia winters"? :huh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry....Georgia winters are balmy. :bigsmile: I live in Central NY, less than an hour from a town that averages 400+ inches of snow a year. Lake effect capital of the world LOL :laugh: We drive to work (and school) with 6 inches of unplowed snow on the ground, and we usually have at least one good lake effect event where we get 3 feet of snow in a 24 hour period.

I plan to keep running outside for as long as possible....I actually just bought some lights and reflectors yesterday, since it's now getting dark before I finish my runs after work. I should be good with clothing for another few weeks, but then I'll need to invest in some true cold weather gear. :smile: I plan to run outside for as long as possible. I have a dreadmill, but want it to be my "fallback", rather than my "go-to". :tongue:
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I definitely still run. I layer my clothes and use running tights if I need them.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    "harsh Georgia winters"? :huh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry....Georgia winters are balmy. :bigsmile: I live in Central NY, less than an hour from a town that averages 400+ inches of snow a year. Lake effect capital of the world LOL :laugh: We drive to work (and school) with 6 inches of unplowed snow on the ground, and we usually have at least one good lake effect event where we get 3 feet of snow in a 24 hour period.

Easy there killer. Our winters are nothing compared to those in northern canada. "harsh" is relative, and related to what you're accustomed to. No matter how bad your winter is, there's always someone out there with a worse winter.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Easy there killer. Our winters are nothing compared to those in northern canada. "harsh" is relative, and related to what you're accustomed to. No matter how bad your winter is, there's always someone out there with a worse winter.

I'm still LOLing. Harsh and Georgia shouldn't be in the same sentence when it comes to winter.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I run. I dress more warmly and try to go out in the sunlight hours if possible or run with friends for safety. Your lungs will get used to it pretty quick!

This last winter I ran the whole season. We were in Missouri then and got several feet of snow (at once ;) ) but you find days and ways to do it. I hate the treadmill but I did end up using it on occasion. I also signed up for an April marathon, so once I paid I had to keep training!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    We "run through" the winter, sometimes more on the treadmill than outside. We use headlamps more & more reflective clothing, bracelets, anklets, etc. to break the darkness of winter so we don't crash into each other early in the AM. More X-training. More rest & recovery days. But mostly, we bundle up and "cool off" outside as long as it's above 20 degrees. If it's below that, maybe run inside. That's my unofficial rule.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm also a new runner, and live in Southern Ontario. Thanks for all these tips! I have a treadmill, but find I can't run as quickly on it as I do on the road (and I'm not a fast runner on the road by any stretch). Something about the walls being stationary as my feet are moving disorients me, and if I set it for too fast: I fall off!

Off to google YakTrax...
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I'm still LOLing. Harsh and Georgia shouldn't be in the same sentence when it comes to winter.

I'm with RGv2. I'm well aware that other locales north of us have better winters than we do (or else people wouldn't take vacations to Canada to go snowmobiling). But I'm sorry..."harsh" + "winter" =/= Georgia....many places, yes...but not Georgia. :tongue:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi all --

I just recently started running this past summer and have fallen in love with it.

My question is, what happens in the winter? Do runners still run? I run outside. What about ice? Is it safe to run outside? Oh, guess I should say this, I live in Georgia and we can have some harsh winters. No snow but a lot of black ice, so roads can be super slippery.

I like to run on trails too, like hiking trails, is that safe in the winter?

Or do runners just run on treadmills? Not a big fan of treadmills but will do what I gotta do.

Just curious.

Feel free to add me :)

Thanks,
    Joanna

I encountered winter when training for my first marathon. I resisted the advice of friends to take my running indoors during the winter,snow and ice on the basis that my marathon isn't going to be run on a treadmill...so I got some spikes fitted onto my running shoes and beasted it outdoors regardless.

Add to that some gloves, running tights and the Nike storm shield windrunner jacket....hands down the best jacket ever made for runners..it even has a built-in snood.

Winters in the UK arn't usually this harsh, but last 3 years we have had enough snow and ice to make dressing and gearing up for winter accordingly very important!

Ironically, I found heat and humidity in the middle of summer far more difficult..FAR more difficult.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Where are you in Georgia? I live in the Atlanta area and winter is phenomenal for running and outdoor exercise. No pollen. No heat and humidity. Totally awesome.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My question is, what happens in the winter? Do runners still run? I run outside.

Around these parts (Colorado) there are two main strategies for runners in the winter. The first is to keep running where ever they like to run. The second is to stop running for the ski season and ski, because hey, ski season!
    What about ice?

Great for ice skating, but harder to find large stable smooth patches than you might expect. If it's post-ice-storm ice (you know, everything coated in several cm of ice, top and bottom) then it's a decent idea to stay in for a day or two till the ice develops some texture or snow freezes on it.
    Is it safe to run outside?

Watch where you put your feet. Even in winter, fresh dog poo is still slippery. And watch out for cars, drivers seem to pay less attention in the winter.
    I like to run on trails too, like hiking trails, is that safe in the winter?

What kind of condition are the trails in? Flooded? Don't run. Smooth ice? Skate. Patchy ice? Run carefully.
    Or do runners just run on treadmills? Not a big fan of treadmills but will do what I gotta do.

Some do that during the summer to. I don't get that at all.

Some serious advice:
    Wear layers... and it's better to be chilly than sweaty. Keep your clothes dry, remove layers before you sweat.
    Water: you still need it.
    Sunblock: sunlight and sunlight reflected form snow double the sun exposure, sunblock can make the next day way more comfortable.
    Shoes: runners and trainers usually still work, but it's OK to run in boots if they make you feel better. But you still have to watch where you put your feet, whatever footwear you wear.

TL/dr: Q: How do you run outside in the winter? A: Go outside and run!
  • RGv2
    Options

Lack of area's to run.

Heat

Humidity

Safety

Mine personally....It was much easier and I was much better at tracking my intervals and splits on the treadmill when I was still a competitive 5K'er and in training.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Lack of area's to run.

Heat

Humidity

Safety

Mine personally....It was much easier and I was much better at tracking my intervals and splits on the treadmill when I was still a competitive 5K'er and in training.

I'm in Colorado. We rarely get heat and humidity at the same time (yeay!!!!), and safety.. well... I've been unsafe indoors and out (and out has much better "run away" options, in my humble opinion - but I have an upper body with the musculature of pipe cleaners). While I don't get it, I presume that the people who do run indoors do get it. Not holding it against anyone if they do. But if you want to race me, expect to go to the park or the mountains. Sometimes when it's been really rainy, I have used an indoor track. It was OK, except.... it was indoors, like work is.... not so much fun for me.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of YakTrax for walking on the snow and ice last winter and they work really well. Loads more grip and stability than walking without them. I've never tried to use them for running but apparently people do; they even make a special model for running.

^^ I got a pair of these last Christmas and they work really well. I run outside all year around.
  • RGv2
    Options

Lack of area's to run.

Heat

Humidity

Safety

I'm in Colorado. We rarely get heat and humidity at the same time (yeay!!!!), and safety.. well... I've been unsafe indoors and out (and out has much better "run away" options, in my humble opinion - but I have an upper body with the musculature of pipe cleaners).

Safety isn't just attackers...... Safety as in, lack of safe areas to run. Not sure how many times you've had a car not notice you on the shoulder inside....
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this as well. I just started at the beginning of August, and love it. I want to continue through the winter and was going to just bundle up, but my fear is that I will get sick and then de-rail. :-(
    Cold weather doesn't make you sick.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm in MN and run all winter. Layers, you usually need less than you think! I find it easier to run in the cold as well!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options

In the most brutally hot/humid months I take my runs inside to avoid heat stroke. It gets really hot and humid in Philly in the summer and as much as I love running I don't love heat stroke. But then I don't handle heat well to begin with. My temperature range for running outside is 50ish-80ish. If its a race day then I'll go outside that zone, but that is my sweet spot.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    As long as it's in the high 30's or above I'm running outside, I just have to bundle up a little extra.
    We had a really mild winter in ND this last year, so I started running outside again in February.