I Ate 1500cals at Once Last Night - WTH?

Options

Replies

• BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Another thing that might help is keeping processed foods out of the house. I have noticed you eat a fair amount of Butterball turkey and packaged snacks. If convenience food wasn't there you probably wouldn't binge.

buttleball turkey is considered a processed meat? i know it's not fresh from a farmer but still!
  • this14UDad
    Options
    Been there done that, probably fall in that hole some time in the future. Here is the good thing, you know your trigger and why you thought it was okay to keep eating, consequences be damned. Blood sugars are tricky things, but planning ahead for the next time is on your side. Another good thing is it was not anymore than 1500 calories at some point you felt satiated or had that panic pang of guilt. A food coach told me once that every meal is a choice. You ****ed up breakfast, well you can make the right choices the next meal. Don't trash a whole day because of a slip, no matter how big the slip is. The other good thing is you are turning to MFP to help you be accountable to yourself and your goals. The other counter balance is increasing your exercise, even moderately will pull down some calories today and the next day and the next ...You are okay. Stand up and fight! You can do this!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    It's okay! When you fall off the horse, you have to get right back on. Don't beat yourself up about it, because what's done is done. It's the choices you make NOW that are important.

Do not let yourself become overwrought with guilt, do not let it convince you that you've lost. If you think that all is lost, you may decide to just give up.

You mustn't give up. You can't stop until you have the body you want, and you CAN do it!

Mistakes happen, and there will be bumps in the road. Don't let your diabetes dictate to your body how you're going to eat. You dictate to your body!

Going over now and then is normal - sometimes it's from dipping blood sugar, sometimes its emotional. But when you find yourself on the couch covered in food, sweating, and regretting everything you just shoved inside yourself, you've gotta get up, dust yourself off, go take a shower, and look at yourself in that steamy mirror and you TELL yourself! "I CAN DO THIS!"

No one likes a quitter, Barbara.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Nothing to do with that. When u have a low blood sugar, you're brain doesn't function properly. You can cry, laugh and get mad all in 2 minutes together. But u do know that you have to eat to get your sugar back up and sometimes diabetics go crazy and eat alot to get the sugar up. To avoid this, drinking oj or apple juice works best because it works fast. Last night i didn't have access to that.

I'm not hypoglycemic or nothin, but I'm pretty sure that having low blood sugar doesn't mean you need to eat until you puke.

Ur right, it doesn't BUT it's really hard to control when u are basically out of your mind - a fellow diabetic would understand completely.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The problem here isn't that you ate 1800 calories in one sitting, thus blowing by your goal.

The problem is that you're not taking responsibility for it. You're blaming it on low blood sugar, which is absurd. You "weren't in your right mind" or "when you have low blood sugar you need to eat" or whatever.

No. You messed up and binged. It had nothing to do with your blood sugar. You decided to stuff your face. Own that decision.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 1500 calories in one meal many times, I keep it within my allowance though.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with that. When u have a low blood sugar, you're brain doesn't function properly. You can cry, laugh and get mad all in 2 minutes together. But u do know that you have to eat to get your sugar back up and sometimes diabetics go crazy and eat alot to get the sugar up. To avoid this, drinking oj or apple juice works best because it works fast. Last night i didn't have access to that.

I'm not hypoglycemic or nothin, but I'm pretty sure that having low blood sugar doesn't mean you need to eat until you puke.

Ur right, it doesn't BUT it's really hard to control when u are basically out of your mind - a fellow diabetic would understand completely.

I wonder if there are any groups for diabetics on MFP that you can post in...They may be able to understand and help you better:flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Another thing that might help is keeping processed foods out of the house. I have noticed you eat a fair amount of Butterball turkey and packaged snacks. If convenience food wasn't there you probably wouldn't binge.

buttleball turkey is considered a processed meat? i know it's not fresh from a farmer but still!

Yes. It is processed.

In regards to the low blood sugar, I am not diabetic, but I actually do have low blood sugar and turn into a whiny, cranky, angry, confused person if I go too long without eating. That said, when I get like that I am very aware (as are my husband and coworkers) that I need to eat something very quickly. The key word is "something." I just eat a snack or if it's close to a meal time, my meal. That's it. I've had low blood sugar all of my life and I've never binged on food. Alcohol, yes. Food, no.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I do it often.....and it's delicious. Quit freaking out and move on.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Even on days I overeat my calorie allotment, I try to honestly log what I ate for two reasons. Number 1 - trigger foods. Number 2 - I'm not ashamed to admit my foods that were eaten. I'm human, and am not perfect all of the time. Sometimes I have a celebration and want to enjoy it. Sometimes I just feel like eating something "naughty". Sometimes I just want some fast food. It's life, and it happens. :ohwell:
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    The problem here isn't that you ate 1800 calories in one sitting, thus blowing by your goal.

The problem is that you're not taking responsibility for it. You're blaming it on low blood sugar, which is absurd. You "weren't in your right mind" or "when you have low blood sugar you need to eat" or whatever.

No. You messed up and binged. It had nothing to do with your blood sugar. You decided to stuff your face. Own that decision.

Take someone's insulin to get a low blood sugar and u will know what i mean. Other than that, I can say that i should have been prepared with juice for quick action then proceeded with a healthy snack to keep the blood sugar up. And to clear things up, IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY LOW BLOOD SUGAR. IF MY SUGAR DIDN'T GO LOW I WOULDNT HAVE EATEN ANYTHING AT ALL.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    OP...fellow diabetic here and understanding fully. Have done same thing in mindless frenzy. Best thing to do is chalk it up to an experience to avoid in future by keeping juice in house at all times. Do not let it ruin your diet and just keep moving forward.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

Yes. It is processed.

In regards to the low blood sugar, I am not diabetic, but I actually do have low blood sugar and turn into a whiny, cranky, angry, confused person if I go too long without eating. That said, when I get like that I am very aware (as are my husband and coworkers) that I need to eat something very quickly. The key word is "something." I just eat a snack or if it's close to a meal time, my meal. That's it. I've had low blood sugar all of my life and I've never binged on food. Alcohol, yes. Food, no.

Don't imagine ur blood glucose level EVER went as low as 2.0mg
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Low blood sugar is NOT the same as T1 diabetes on insulin.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you feel there is a perfectly reasonable explanation, log what you ate, make a food note, and learn. Keep fruit juice on hand in future.

If you just screwed up, own the screw up, log what you ate, and learn from it.

I've screwed up before. Been embarrassed about my food choices, had any number of excuses lined up, and didn't want to log it. I logged it anyway. Why? Because my food log is for me, and why would I lie to myself?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Yes. It is processed.

Don't imagine ur blood glucose level EVER went as low as 2.0mg

While I understand your situation is very different from mine, I am merely indicating that you should be armed and ready for situations like this with a meal or snack that can be used to avoid a binge. That's all.

I'm out. Apparently you didn't want any help.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

WHY ARE YOU YELLING????

Is your sugar low again?

:laugh:
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

I wonder if there are any groups for diabetics on MFP that you can post in...They may be able to understand and help you better:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9731-weight-loss-for-diabetics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

there were pages upon pages of groups like this. if you want feedback from people who "understand" then this is a topic better aimed at those people.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Take someone's insulin to get a low blood sugar and u will know what i mean. Other than that, I can say that i should have been prepared with juice for quick action then proceeded with a healthy snack to keep the blood sugar up. And to clear things up, IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY LOW BLOOD SUGAR. IF MY SUGAR DIDN'T GO LOW I WOULDNT HAVE EATEN ANYTHING AT ALL.

Did you just tell people to take other people's medication just to prove a point? That's not cool :angry: