I Ate 1500cals at Once Last Night - WTH?

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    fact of life you will not be perfect all the time as long as you ate well the rest of the time one day will not put you off course too much
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    The problem here isn't that you ate 1800 calories in one sitting, thus blowing by your goal.

The problem is that you're not taking responsibility for it. You're blaming it on low blood sugar, which is absurd. You "weren't in your right mind" or "when you have low blood sugar you need to eat" or whatever.

No. You messed up and binged. It had nothing to do with your blood sugar. You decided to stuff your face. Own that decision.

Take someone's insulin to get a low blood sugar and u will know what i mean. Other than that, I can say that i should have been prepared with juice for quick action then proceeded with a healthy snack to keep the blood sugar up. And to clear things up, IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY LOW BLOOD SUGAR. IF MY SUGAR DIDN'T GO LOW I WOULDNT HAVE EATEN ANYTHING AT ALL.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING????

Is your sugar low again?

Nope, lol. Just getting my point across!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with that. When u have a low blood sugar, you're brain doesn't function properly. You can cry, laugh and get mad all in 2 minutes together. But u do know that you have to eat to get your sugar back up and sometimes diabetics go crazy and eat alot to get the sugar up. To avoid this, drinking oj or apple juice works best because it works fast. Last night i didn't have access to that.

I'm not hypoglycemic or nothin, but I'm pretty sure that having low blood sugar doesn't mean you need to eat until you puke.

Having recently been pregnant and now pumping about 60oz of breastmilk a day, I get extremely low blood sugar if I don't eat frequently. When you're to the point that you're shaky and you feel like you're about to pass out you do eat whatever there is and it's hard to not shove food in your face until the shaking stops. If you've never experienced a serious low, you wouldn't understand.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    log it and accept that what's done is done. learn from how you've felt since and ensure you're stocked with juice to head off a hypo.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Having recently been pregnant and now pumping about 60oz of breastmilk a day, I get extremely low blood sugar if I don't eat frequently. When you're to the point that you're shaky and you feel like you're about to pass out you do eat whatever there is and it's hard to not shove food in your face until the shaking stops. If you've never experienced a serious low, you wouldn't understand.

I think that's completely understandable.

But we all have our challenges, and you just have to learn to adjust your strategy to compensate. Being too ashamed to log foods just leads you down the path of hiding your slip ups instead of acknowledging and learning from them.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think I did that on Tuesday. Fish and chips. Totally worth it.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. You are still in calorie deficit for the week. You may not show the loss you would like or even a loss at all but it's going to be ok. There are diabetic groups on here. If the group is not active you may find friends that can be helpful and supportive. Go back and log everything in your diary. You may not want to face those things now but you may end up wishing you had that info later on down the road.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 1 diabetic and I would binge whether I had low blood sugar or not. I used to beat myself up over it. I realized, I won't get to my goal if I stress about it, so I evaluated why I got the low blood sugar so it wouldn't happen again. Use it as a learning tool.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The problem here isn't that you ate 1800 calories in one sitting, thus blowing by your goal.

The problem is that you're not taking responsibility for it. You're blaming it on low blood sugar, which is absurd. You "weren't in your right mind" or "when you have low blood sugar you need to eat" or whatever.

No. You messed up and binged. It had nothing to do with your blood sugar. You decided to stuff your face. Own that decision.

Take someone's insulin to get a low blood sugar and u will know what i mean. Other than that, I can say that i should have been prepared with juice for quick action then proceeded with a healthy snack to keep the blood sugar up. And to clear things up, IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY LOW BLOOD SUGAR. IF MY SUGAR DIDN'T GO LOW I WOULDNT HAVE EATEN ANYTHING AT ALL.

Ok. Well it's not your fault and it's obviously uncontrollable. Maybe you should hire an assistant to physically restrain you from eating 1800 calories next time you get low blood sugar.

Good luck Barabara. You aren't responsible for the action.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    To answer your question in the op 1500 cals will set you back 1500 cals. If you have a 500 cal daily deficit that is 3 days.

/thread
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with that. When u have a low blood sugar, you're brain doesn't function properly. You can cry, laugh and get mad all in 2 minutes together. But u do know that you have to eat to get your sugar back up and sometimes diabetics go crazy and eat alot to get the sugar up. To avoid this, drinking oj or apple juice works best because it works fast. Last night i didn't have access to that.

I'm not hypoglycemic or nothin, but I'm pretty sure that having low blood sugar doesn't mean you need to eat until you puke.

Ur right, it doesn't BUT it's really hard to control when u are basically out of your mind - a fellow diabetic would understand completely.

I wonder if there are any groups for diabetics on MFP that you can post in...They may be able to understand and help you better:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9731-weight-loss-for-diabetics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

there were pages upon pages of groups like this. if you want feedback from people who "understand" then this is a topic better aimed at those people.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/512-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1357-young-and-diabetic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9637-the-skinny-on-obesity

JOIN ONE OR ALL OF THESE GROUPS AND POST THERE SO THAT PEOPLE WHO DEAL WITH WHAT YOU DEAL WITH CAN GIVE YOU ADVICE. I AM SURE THEY WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU. THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kuroi19
    Options
    As Kate said you can cut 100-150 cals from the next few days or do some exercise, but you don't need to.
    Just learn from it and move on, you may not lose anything from a week worth of dieting but it's not the end of the world.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I ate a ridiculous amount last night too. Oh well.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Ok. Well it's not your fault and it's obviously uncontrollable. Maybe you should hire an assistant to physically restrain you from eating 1800 calories next time you get low blood sugar.

Good luck Barabara. You aren't responsible for the action.

Too a certain extent, she's not. Yes, things could have happened before hand to keep her blood sugar more stable but bottoming out happens. When it does it's less a binge and more of a panic response to eat whatever you can until you feel better.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to log your overspend food-wise, then it sounds like you have issues with food.

I went to Nando's the other night and along with the food and drink plus the rest of the day, I ate over double my goal and it was over 3000 calories I ate. I logged it all and moved on.

I would only be worried if I were hundreds over regularly.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Ur right, it doesn't BUT it's really hard to control when u are basically out of your mind - a fellow diabetic would understand completely.

I wonder if there are any groups for diabetics on MFP that you can post in...They may be able to understand and help you better:flowerforyou:

This. Asking for sympathy or advice in a public forum where most people are not Type 1 diabetic is generally not going to get you what you want.

The only thing I can suggest is that you need to plan better in the future when when blood sugar levels get too low. Always make sure you have juice available to you. And then once you drink some, put some separation between yourself and the kitchen.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I probably ate between 2000 & 3000 calories worth of Sushi last night and didn't even bother to log it, who cares move on with your life!
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I probably ate between 2000 & 3000 calories worth of Sushi last night and didn't even bother to log it, who cares move on with your life!

Get your *kitten* together!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    To answer your question in the op 1500 cals will set you back 1500 cals. If you have a 500 cal daily deficit that is 3 days.

/thread

OMG but that's just too effing logical! That can't be it. There's no room for excuses and self loathing. The pity party just got started. You can't come in here with your logic and shut it down!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    First of all, I know why I did it. I got a low blood sugar from too much insulin taken (Im T1 diabetic) and I lost control for treating the low. I went wayyy over board and wasn't thinking right. The only thing on my mind was stuff face until this "low" feeling went away. I know thats not how im supposed to do it but hey, i am still human and i did it. Now, what im wondering is 1500 cal overload gonna set me back anyway? Like have to wait a week longer to reach my goal or just screw it and move on - nothing i can do?

Slinks away in shame... (because I eat 1500 calories for dinner pretty regularly) :laugh:

It all seriousness, OP... don't beat yourself up about it and don't freak out over it. Look ahead to your next meal, plan to eat healthy and take steps not to eat above and beyond what you should. There is no sense fretting over what happened in the past.