What Machine is your favourite?

Options
I just signed up for a gym. I am slightly intimated at the machines, but I want to start lifting. I have a good grasp on what some of the machines do, but I am interested in learning what everyone else enjoys!

What is your ultimate favourite weight machine?

Replies

• mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the weight thing but my favorite is one where you sit and push down on the handles to work the triceps. I don't know why I like this one so much but I do :smile:
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    All of them. Free weights as well.

You will find machines can work different sections of a major muscle by changing grip-rows, presses, flys, pull downs for example. All provide that oh-so-good burn.

I take the girls from work with me to the gym. About your age. They love- hip adductor/abductor, standing kick backs, and hack squat/horizontal leg press.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Squat rack
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :D I am just googling up all of these machines/exercises!
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    the assisted chin up/pull up machine... I'm in love with it.
    I could chin up the entire time I'm at the gym.
  • UCSMiami
    Options
    Dumbbells range from 5lbs to 95lbs at my gym and the women who use free weights are generally looking for 5,10,15lb units. Most tend to be in use. Plate free weights have limited use as any type of chest press-35lb olympic bar alone is too much for most starting females. Then add the weights. I would write "all" but there is always an exception.

Machines are better for women to start on. Even men actually and there are many options to rows, pulldowns and leg work. Most folk with free weights use too much and have poor form. Especially when starting out.

Start with machines until you are confident and hard.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    My fav is the leg press atm
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The only 3 machines I really 'need' are the leg extension, leg curl, and a pulldown station for back (although if I was 20 pounds lighter I would just do pull-ups) All the other machines I can use in conjuction with the barbells and dumbells.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells range from 5lbs to 95lbs at my gym and the women who use free weights are generally looking for 5,10,15lb units. Most tend to be in use. Plate free weights have limited use as any type of chest press-35lb olympic bar Plus weights is too much for most starting females. I would write "all" but there is always an exception.

Machines are better for women to start on. Even men actually and there are many options to rows, pulldowns and leg work. Most folk with free weights use too much and have poor form.

OP, be careful not to step in this bullsh1t.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and YouTube are your friends. If you want to start lifting, do it right.

ETA: starting with machines does nothing for you when you move on to free weight exercises.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What is your ultimate favourite weight machine?

this one

OxePaVd.jpg
  • UCSMiami
    Options
    [/quote]

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and YouTube are your friends. If you want to start lifting, do it right.

ETA: starting with machines does nothing for you when you move on to free weight exercises.
    [/quote]

Nope. It is the truth. have been seeing this for years at my gym. It is you folk like you who say to go in hard and heavy when starting that are the problem. Your second comment is entirely contradicted again by experiences with female acquaintainces.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Nope. It is the truth. have been seeing this for years at my gym. It is you folk like you who say to go in hard and heavy when starting that are the problem. Your second comment is entirely contradicted again by experiences with female acquaintainces.

1950 called. They want you back.

No one said start hard and heavy, btw. I said start RIGHT. There's a difference.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My favorite machine is the dishwasher. I really hate doing dishes.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership right now, but I have always liked the leg press because I have freakishly strong legs when I have the stability of the machine. I used to max out at 420 on the leg press with my short little legs. However, my home gym only has free weights so they are my favorite machine.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread derailed quickly.

I favor dumbbells since they require you to use more muscles to balance them and won't allow you to favor one side of your body over the other (i.e. right arm vs left arm on chest press machine). But machines are perfectly fine to use as well. The reality is if you're at a gym and its busy, you have to use whats available or work in with someone.

You might want to talk to one of the trainers at the gym, they might be able to show you around and give you a good basic starter workout to start with and then you can expand on it on your own by researching online, talking to folks here, etc.
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The leg curl machine because I have sad, squishy hamstings and backs of my legs. But weight lifting aside, I also love the rowing machine.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Machines are better for women to start on. Even men actually and there are many options to rows, pulldowns and leg work. Most folk with free weights use too much and have poor form. Especially when starting out.

*sigh*

I am my very own favourite machine.

I'd suggest you start off with free weights rather than machines. Start light, get your form right and move up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    My favorite machine is the dishwasher. I really hate doing dishes.

Bless you!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells range from 5lbs to 95lbs at my gym and the women who use free weights are generally looking for 5,10,15lb units. Most tend to be in use. Plate free weights have limited use as any type of chest press-35lb olympic bar alone is too much for most starting females. Then add the weights. I would write "all" but there is always an exception.

:yawn:

ETA...I have been here since March2012(different profile) and this^ is a bunch of bull.