Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options

quote box nightmare
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also use the free weights. Barbells and dumbbells. My favorite exercises are deadlifts and hip thrusts (I can lift my own body weight in plates for both). I also like bent over row. As far as machines go, I use the glute kickback and if they have it I especially like the Quadruped Hip Extension. Sometimes I use the abductor, sitting at the edge of the seat and leaning forward with a straight back to target the upper/outer glutes. I do the yoga and some bodyweight exercises such as pushups and jackknives. I also like the kick boxing classes and may add in zumba once a week (just because it's fun). When I use dumbbells I use 30 pounds in each hand, a combined total that is more than half my body weight.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    and before you start criticizing other people's pictures you make want to take a look at yourself.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells range from 5lbs to 95lbs at my gym and the women who use free weights are generally looking for 5,10,15lb units. Most tend to be in use. Plate free weights have limited use as any type of chest press-35lb olympic bar alone is too much for most starting females. Then add the weights. I would write "all" but there is always an exception.

Machines are better for women to start on. Even men actually and there are many options to rows, pulldowns and leg work. Most folk with free weights use too much and have poor form. Especially when starting out.

Start with machines until you are confident and hard.

^ Wrong, so freaking wrong!

Let me state before people mistake me for a man again, I am a woman.

Now I personally use up to 40lb dumbbells as of right now. I tend to do most of the work in the free weight area. I use machines as well, but I could do my workouts just fine without them.

My favorite piece of equipment would be the squat rack.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My favorite machine is the dishwasher. I really hate doing dishes.

that's why i got married
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Machines are better for women to start on. Even men actually and there are many options to rows, pulldowns and leg work. Most folk with free weights use too much and have poor form. Especially when starting out.

Nope. And nope. Also....nope.

no one came here to hear about your sex life.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Squat rack, kettlebells.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No. Not even the paid and certified trainers at my gym start women with free weights. They all go begin on machines and some bodyweight exercises.

I have a family the OP will decide for herself and either report back how things went or not.

But there really have not been an shining examples in the pro-free weight crowd here to emulate.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    My favorite machine is the dishwasher. I really hate doing dishes.
    that's why i got married
    JSF
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells range from 5lbs to 95lbs at my gym and the women who use free weights are generally looking for 5,10,15lb units. Most tend to be in use. Plate free weights have limited use as any type of chest press-35lb olympic bar alone is too much for most starting females. Then add the weights. I would write "all" but there is always an exception.

Not true, and you should consider going to a gym with more dumb bells.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    No. Not even the paid and certified trainers at my gym start women with free weights. They all go begin on machines and some bodyweight exercises.

I have a family the OP will decide for herself and either report back how things went or not.

But there really have not been an shining examples in the pro-free weight crowd here to emulate.
    JSS
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells range from 5lbs to 95lbs at my gym and the women who use free weights are generally looking for 5,10,15lb units. Most tend to be in use. Plate free weights have limited use as any type of chest press-35lb olympic bar Plus weights is too much for most starting females. I would write "all" but there is always an exception.

Machines are better for women to start on. Even men actually and there are many options to rows, pulldowns and leg work. Most folk with free weights use too much and have poor form.

OP, be careful not to step in this bullsh1t.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and YouTube are your friends. If you want to start lifting, do it right.

ETA: starting with machines does nothing for you when you move on to free weight exercises.

She's absolutely right. But with one caveat: As a beginner, you will see progress with any progressive loading, resistance program. So you can go quite a long way with machines. However, you can start light enough, (with the bar preferably) with any of the programs listed above, and you will learn better form, and will likely end up developing more strength and balance than you would by using machines. Machines balance the weight load for you, and as such, your overall gains can suffer in the long run. Educate yourself, don't be afraid to try things outside your comfort zone, and progress slowly. Good luck with it!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and YouTube are your friends. If you want to start lifting, do it right.

ETA: starting with machines does nothing for you when you move on to free weight exercises.

Nope. It is the truth. have been seeing this for years at my gym. It is you folk like you who say to go in hard and heavy when starting that are the problem. Your second comment is entirely contradicted again by experiences with female acquaintainces.

1950 called. They want you back.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ironic you are all knowing but only lifting since February 2013. Your legs have plenty of fat in your pics. You just do not know what you are talking about.

How long have you been lifting and how strong are you?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Are you for real?

You do not learn right form by using machine, you learn right form by doing right form.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

*makes note to never hire the sexist trainers at your gym*
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical for cardio..
    For weights..I like the leg press machine, and the one to do the assited chin ups..then again right now I am recovering from surgery and am a bit limited..

Good luck!!!
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Nope. It is the truth. have been seeing this for years at my gym. It is you folk like you who say to go in hard and heavy when starting that are the problem. Your second comment is entirely contradicted again by experiences with female acquaintainces.

1950 called. They want you back.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ironic you are all knowing but only lifting since February 2013. Your legs have plenty of fat in your pics. You just do not know what you are talking about.

What's with you putting words into my mouth? Where did I ever say I was "all-knowing?" You're spewing nonsense about women and lifting. I (and probably a lot of others) disagree.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Your attitude stinks though.

I think his advice start with machines is a lot safer, for girls or guys.

It let's you hang around in the free weights area without too much risk of injuring yourself. Then you should watch and watch and watch and watch some more. Then the first time you try something you'll likely still do it wrong, but then watch some more and be corrected maybe.

Of course if you have the luxury to start off with a private trainer by all means go for the free weights, but make sure the trainer is taking it slow and letting you get used to free weights and teaching you proper form.

Oh and my favorite machine: lat pull-down because it's the only step up you need to doing normal pull ups.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

:huh: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :yawn:
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    try to ignore the banter :|

Machine wise I like he Smith Machine and Leg Press. I am a fan of free weights and kettle bells too. Enjoy!
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    What is your ultimate favourite weight machine?
    this one
    OxePaVd.jpg
    ^this