What Machine is your favourite?

Options

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Hey! I injured my back that way. I'm just saying. Keep your back from going straight, and the weight off your legs. I don't want you hurt.

:flowerforyou:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Bench is good too. This is me benching a hundred pounds. I am forty two and have been lifting for about a year and a half.
    3n779.gif

Quit cheating with your legs and back!

It's a compound lift brah!!! Her butt didn't leave the bench so it counts!! Plus you're supposed to arch your back like that. Her only fault was lowering it back down.

exactly. She shouldn't be rocking it with her back. Natural arch and don't rock it. She did keep her butt down though. I thought it was gonna come up for a split second.

Although,I want to add, that I see a lot of guys totally screw this up at the gym everyday. I see so many lift their butts off the bench, or flatten their back against the bench to get the last couple of reps in. You can't say anything to them though. They won't listen.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I dropped a 25 lb plate on my finger a few months ago and it felt numb for hours.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Bench is good too. This is me benching a hundred pounds. I am forty two and have been lifting for about a year and a half.

It's a compound lift brah!!! Her butt didn't leave the bench so it counts!! Plus you're supposed to arch your back like that. Her only fault was lowering it back down.
    I lowered it back down because i was done!
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Fave machines are leg machines. I even like that Smith machine! Oh, No's!!!! I iZ gonna get hurt.... :glasses:

I do it ALL, OP. Have to say that before I get busted on the head with a bottle cap for saying (Smith Machine) taboo.

Eta: gawd really love lat pulldowns, too!

The lat pulldown is also one of my favorites, along with the leg press.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    3n779.gif

exactly. She shouldn't be rocking it with her back. Natural arch and don't rock it. She did keep her butt down though. I thought it was gonna come up for a split second.
    ok this is frustrating now...you are seeing a looping gif which really doesnt give a picture of the whole set of reps or anything. Maybe i will go look at my other videos and make a new gif.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    3n779.gif

ok this is frustrating now...you are seeing a looping gif which really doesnt give a picture of the whole set of reps or anything.

I think the boys are not realizing this is just one lift, right? It's not a video of a whole set.

Haha, just saw your edit after I wrote this.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like the calf press.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    3n779.gif

ok this is frustrating now...you are seeing a looping gif which really doesnt give a picture of the whole set of reps or anything.

I think the boys are not realizing this is just one lift, right? It's not a video of a whole set.

Haha, just saw your edit after I wrote this.

To quote Prince.

A loop is a loop is a loop is a loop is a loop is a loop is a loop.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

OP, be careful not to step in this bullsh1t.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and YouTube are your friends. If you want to start lifting, do it right.

ETA: starting with machines does nothing for you when you move on to free weight exercises.

Nope. It is the truth. have been seeing this for years at my gym. It is you folk like you who say to go in hard and heavy when starting that are the problem. Your second comment is entirely contradicted again by experiences with female acquaintainces.

1950 called. They want you back.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ironic you are all knowing but only lifting since February 2013. Your legs have plenty of fat in your pics. You just do not know what you are talking about.

What the bloody hell are you talking about?

Firstly, no she has not. Secondly, you are showing your ignorance by insinuating that BF% has anything at all to do with lifting weights.
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched to all machine lifting because that's what I have readily available. Yes, I know that free weights are better because you have to use stabilizer muscles and yadda yadda. But in my opinion, the best machine is the one you're using. I'm not concerned with my 1 rep max or showing people how "swole" I am. I'm interested in getting stronger. And right now I can absolutely do that with machines.

Now, which is my favorite? You'll want to have multiple machines that you use regularly to make sure you're working your entire body. That being said I'm loving the leg extension and leg curl machines right now. I do 4 sets on both and then a jump squat tabata workout and my legs freaking hate me after that.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    Ok here is another one...i think my form is pretty good...i am supposed to have an arch...this is 85 pounds.

anyyyyyyyyywayyyyyyy i didnt think this was going to be a form critique thread, but its all good.

3n7nb.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

I lowered it back down because i was done!

I didn't realize that!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: to actually answer your question. A squat rack/power cage...which is technically not a machine, so as far as machines go, I use cable machines quite a bit for pulls such as face pulls and lat pull downs.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Ok here is another one...i think my form is pretty good...i am supposed to have an arch...this is 85 pounds.

anyyyyyyyyywayyyyyyy i didnt think this was going to be a form critique thread, but its all good.

3n7nb.gif

I could watch this all night!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    My favorite machine is the dishwasher. I really hate doing dishes.

bazinga.gif
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Hi OP: I prefer the free weight area, they tend to be more effective for many things than most machines (which are by and large isolation exercises). A year ago my trainer started me on them, skipping machines entirely. When I requested a routine centered around free weights, his response was "I wish more women would request them". At my gym, I've noticed a big upttick in the number of women moving over to that type of lifting, in fact, the last time I was there there were 5 women at the weights and 1 man.

Since that initial plan, I've done New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts, as well as my current ruytine, all of which are based around free weights. Any exercise that I am unsure of I look up videos for (they are very easy to find). To check my form, I occasionally bring a little camera and video myself as I lift. It's an invaluable tool.

There are a couple of machines that I use: assisted dips and assisted pull ups.

But, like many, my favorite thing in the gym is the power cage. It's where magic happens :flowerforyou:
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Leg press!
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    God, there are more trolls on these stupid forums than any place I've seen on the Net.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

3n7nb.gif

I could watch this all night!

It's mesmerizing.