What Machine is your favourite?

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    What is your ultimate favourite weight machine?
    this one
    OxePaVd.jpg
    ^this

So pretty
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    What is your ultimate favourite weight machine?
    this one
    OxePaVd.jpg
    ^this

^QFT - I love this
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    If you're carefully following a well-structured program, designed for beginners, and are honest with yourself on your form development and weight increases, the risk of hurting yourself isn't really any higher than that using machines. You can also hurt yourself on machines if you don't know what you're doing.

I'm guessing some of you guys had to wear a safety hat and knee/elbow pads before you went out to play while growing up? Did you have to wear water wings while eating soup?
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you're carefully following a well-structured program, designed for beginners, and are honest with yourself on your form development and weight increases, the risk of hurting yourself isn't really any higher than that using machines. You can also hurt yourself on machines if you don't know what you're doing.

I'm guessing some of you guys had to wear a safety hat and knee/elbow pads before you went out to play while growing up? Did you have to wear water wings while eating soup?

Dying! :laugh:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

OP, be careful not to step in this bullsh1t.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and YouTube are your friends. If you want to start lifting, do it right.

ETA: starting with machines does nothing for you when you move on to free weight exercises.

Nope. It is the truth. have been seeing this for years at my gym. It is you folk like you who say to go in hard and heavy when starting that are the problem. Your second comment is entirely contradicted again by experiences with female acquaintainces.

1950 called. They want you back.

Ironic you are all knowing but only lifting since February 2013. Your legs have plenty of fat in your pics. You just do not know what you are talking about.

Learn how to use quotes, Mr. big talk.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Squatting with the bar is something the majority of women are able to do the first workout.Start with that and workup from there...no machine necessary:smile:

Machines have their uses of course...but not intstead of free weights, as an accessory.
    squat_zps65835ba2.gif
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Fave machines are leg machines. I even like that Smith machine! Oh, No's!!!! I iZ gonna get hurt.... :glasses:

I do it ALL, OP. Have to say that before I get busted on the head with a bottle cap for saying (Smith Machine) taboo.

Eta: gawd really love lat pulldowns, too!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    The only times I've ever been injured in a gym were all because of machines, because they were forcing my body to move in ways it doesn't want to go.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Squatting with the bar is something the majority of women are able to do the first workout.Start with that and workup from there...no machine necessary:smile:

Machines have their uses of course...but not intstead of free weights, as an accessory.
    squat_zps65835ba2.gif

Exactly! My gym at work has no machines at all, so when I go to the 'regular gym I use the machine to superset...
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    No. Not even the paid and certified trainers at my gym start women with free weights. They all go begin on machines and some bodyweight exercises.

I have a family the OP will decide for herself and either report back how things went or not.

But there really have not been an shining examples in the pro-free weight crowd here to emulate.

Y'know what. You are definitely right. Free weights are dangerous for women. I broke a nail re-racking my damn plates yesterday. I should've listened to all the nice men on MFP who have warned me about it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

This is all good information. I had to quit lifting a little over a year ago due to illness. Got a diagnosis in January of this year. Had brain surgery in February. Started lifting again about 8 weeks post op. I started with dumbbells just to get a feel for things, but initially I considered joining the gym again so I could use the machines. I decided it wasn't worth it to spend the money since we already had weights at home. So this summer I started working with the barbell again for some lifts. Not squats or over head press yet though because when I tried it was uncomfortable for me due to current physical limitations. That said, I use 30 pound dumbbells for my squats, not 5, 10, or 15 as one poster suggested.

Ladies, you are stronger than you think. :flowerforyou:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells range from 5lbs to 95lbs at my gym and the women who use free weights are generally looking for 5,10,15lb units. Most tend to be in use. Plate free weights have limited use as any type of chest press-35lb olympic bar alone is too much for most starting females. Then add the weights. I would write "all" but there is always an exception.

Machines are better for women to start on. Even men actually and there are many options to rows, pulldowns and leg work. Most folk with free weights use too much and have poor form. Especially when starting out.

Start with machines until you are confident and hard.

What a crock of poop! OP. Don't listen to this malarkey. I see plenty of women in my gym who lift and do all the exercises using barbells whether they are novices or have been doing it for awhile. If lifting interests you, you can go straight to the bar. Take a day to find out what your weight range is and do it. I suggest you do a little research before starting a lifting program to find out what works best for you. There are a horde of different programs out there. Around these parts, New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) seems to be popular, but I know plenty of women who use 5:3:1, and positive and negative failure programs as well.

As for my answer, my favorite machine to use is my body coupled with an olympic bar, or a curling bar. I do use some machines, but only as I am still nursing a couple of injuries, and don't want to overstrain.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Either the assisted pullup machine or the Seated Machine Row.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    No. Not even the paid and certified trainers at my gym start women with free weights. They all go begin on machines and some bodyweight exercises.

I have a family the OP will decide for herself and either report back how things went or not.

But there really have not been an shining examples in the pro-free weight crowd here to emulate.

Y'know what. You are definitely right. Free weights are dangerous for women. I broke a nail re-racking my damn plates yesterday. I should've listened to all the nice men on MFP who have warned me about it.

I had a 're-racking' incident after my bench warm-up and dropped the bar and weights on my head.

From now on, I'm going to wear a hardhat at the gym.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    Bench is good too. This is me benching a hundred pounds. I am forty two and have been lifting for about a year and a half.
    3n779.gif
  • whierd
    Options
    Bench is good too. This is me benching a hundred pounds. I am forty two and have been lifting for about a year and a half.
    3n779.gif

Mmm... *right click, save*
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    3n779.gif

Quit cheating with your legs and back!
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    Mmm... *right click, save*
    LOL...i dont even like that video of me, but I want women to see that ANYONE can lift free weights.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

NO:angry:
  • whierd
    Options
    3n779.gif

It's a compound lift brah!!! Her butt didn't leave the bench so it counts!! Plus you're supposed to arch your back like that. Her only fault was lowering it back down.