800 Calorie a Day - Suggestions

Options
Before anyone starts with 800 calories being too low for a daily consumption - I will start by saying I was put on the calories by my Doctor. I questioned him as well - about the STARVATION MODE, and he disagrees with it. He says as long as you are eating throughout the day, your body will burn. So the reason I'm posting is I'm looking for suggestions on what to eat. I've completed a week (yesterday I want over)- but I'm eating similar every day. I want to add variety, but still stay in the Calorie requirement.

Thank you!

Replies

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    This is going to end well
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you want to lose 37lbs and your doctor has put you on an 800 calorie diet....???
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should look for suggestions from your "doctor" then and not here.
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Cereals are always a good way to go, i eat special k, 2 bowls a day, means i can have a bigger lunch because of the other calories.
    Cherry tomatoes and cucumber are a really low calorie snack, i can pretty much eat as much as i like.
    Winter or not, there's only 40ish calories in ice lollies, a nice bit of flavour to add to your day :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My strongest recommendation is that you see a different doctor to get a second opinion.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    You may want to find a new doctor!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • KL145
    KL145 Posts: 15
    Options
    Really? 800 calories? That's like eating only breakfast for the day. Are you sure the dr said 800 Calories?
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Doctor = Witch Doctor = Shaman Priest = Faith Healer??????
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Do you know what they call a doctor who graduated last in his class?
    A doctor.
    Or should I say your doctor?
    Get a new one. One who doesn't suck.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Lots of leafy greens. Lettuce, kale, stuff like that. Fills you up in no time and hardly have any calories.
    I don't agree with 800cal diets, but if you want low cal foods, eat your greens :)
    I agree with chelstakencha and laserturkey about getting a new doctor though ;-)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you see another doctor for a second opinion.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Cereals are always a good way to go, i eat special k, 2 bowls a day, means i can have a bigger lunch because of the other calories.
    Cherry tomatoes and cucumber are a really low calorie snack, i can pretty much eat as much as i like.
    Winter or not, there's only 40ish calories in ice lollies, a nice bit of flavour to add to your day :)

Cearel, veggies, and ice lollies. Nice well-balanced diet you got there... :noway:
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are a great way to get filled up for less calories. If you absolutely "need" dressing to enjoy your salad, try dipping your fork in the dressing before stabbing lettuce leaves so you get just a hint of flavor without all the calories. Cucumbers and carrots, I've found, are very filling because of the fiber (leave the skin on the cucumber!).

Lean meats like filet mignon steak, grilled chicken, and fish are very filling because of the protein without too many calories.

Eating a few times throughout the day definitely helps you get through such a grueling diet plan so you have less time with your stomach growling. After a few weeks, it gets easier.

Good luck! Please don't ignore your body. If you really start feeling fatigue, headaches, hair falling out more, or nails getting more brittle/dry, you may have gone too long without enough calories and you might need to take a break and re-nourish yourself. Stay in touch with your doctor!
  • terranaut
    terranaut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How long have you been seeing this doctor? Please make sure that what he said was truthful. Lots of health forums will simply tell you that 800 calories is too low. That said, we're just forums. I highly suggest you get an opinion from a second doctor, or even better, a nutritionist – your current doctor should be able to refer you to one, and if questioned, tell him you want to get a better idea of what to eat for the 800 cal requirement.

A diet full of mostly vegetables and a little fruit will keep you within the requirement, especially if you eat most things raw or juice them. Eat steadily throughout the day to keep your energy up.

But yeah, go see a nutritionist or a second doctor. 800 calories is preposterous.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    With so few calories I'm surprised your doctor didn't provide any diet guidance. But if that's all the calories I got, I'd go for lots of soups, chilis and stews. These have a lot of water so feel like you are eating more than you really are.
  • hmmisee
    Options
    I can imagine a doctor may in some cases suggest an 800 calorie diet, maybe.

I cannot imagine a doctor recommending such a number and then giving absolutely zero advice on how to fit a healthy balanced diet into those calories.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Cearel, veggies, and ice lollies. Nice well-balanced diet you got there... :noway:

LOL!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I'd be starving...
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Medifast. They will start you off as low as 500 calories.
This discussion has been closed.