800 Calorie a Day - Suggestions

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dayum, I eat more than 800 in a single meal. If a "doctor" told me to diet like that, he'd probably get a knuckle sandwich.

Wow, a 32 yo man has different calories needs than a 42 yo woman. Shocking.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I think the ticker is stil only my 5 week "expectation" not my total loss - I would like to lose 69lbs.

You expect to lose 37lbs in 5 weeks?

I'm thinking there will be hairloss and gallstones in your immediate future.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out a website devoted to VLCD, as this one doesn't support them, but here are a few suggestions:

Egg beaters with fat free cheese and real bacon bits
    Salads with vinegar and spices instead of dressing
    Protein shakes
    Soups made with veggies and chicken, can be made creamy with fat free cream cheese
    Fat free cottage cheese with berries OR defatted peanut flour and Splenda
    Fat free Greek yogurt and frozen berries with Splenda
    lunch meat wrapped around a cheese stick, wrapped in spinach or lettuce

Hope this helps!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think the ticker is stil only my 5 week "expectation" not my total loss - I would like to lose 69lbs.

If you are under the care of a medical professional, I'd suggest at least giving their advice a try before ignoring it in favor of a bunch of strangers on the internet who have no familiarity with you or your medical history. If it doesn't work, then you can discuss other options with your doctor, or adjust as you see fit.

Good luck to you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I'm a doctor and I'm here to help!!!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I've got suggestions for an 800 cal meal but not an 800 cal day...

Like others, I can understand the goal just not the methods. A 50 yr old male, I started at 205 lbs and it took me 243 days to get to 145 and I did that at ~1700 cals/day (plus exercise cals). I just don't understand why such a radical cal deficit.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    My strongest recommendation is that you see a different doctor to get a second opinion.

This!!!

I've lost 44 lbs without restricting my diet that much. Wow.

Curious what kind of doctor was it?
  • mrsdamr
    mrsdamr Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions.. As far as my expectation, this is what MFP calculated - no me. I'm lucky if I lose 1lb a week - regardless of the 800 calories. I tried to go through the goals and profile again... but it still shows the same amounts. Thank you for the suggestions.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I will start off by saying I had weight loss surgery.

For breakfast I have a protein shake (I use Syntrax Matrix protein powders) made with milk. Sometimes I have a scrambled egg with veggies and a slice or 2 of bacon.

For lunch I have 2-3 oz of protein (steak, pork chops, shrimp, fish, hamburger, crab or sometimes chicken). Chicken doesn't agree with me too well now. I have that on top of a cup of lettuce with tomato, cucumber, carrot, a sprinkle of cheese and I use real full fat dressing but I do the fork dip trick.

For dinner I have 2-3 oz of protein and some kind of veggie - I like steamed green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots or more salad.

For snacks I have string cheese, mini pepperoni, sliced ham or roast beef, jerky, sliced cheese or bariatric protein bars made for WLS patients.

I eat between 800-900 calories a day and that's how my days look.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    How much are you working out? and are you eating those calories back?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    How much are you working out?
  • karlastockham
    Options
    I agree with this. It never hurts to get a second opinion.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    My strongest recommendation is that you see a different doctor to get a second opinion.

^^^^^^
    THIS
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I will start off by saying I had weight loss surgery.

For breakfast I have a protein shake (I use Syntrax Matrix protein powders) made with milk. Sometimes I have a scrambled egg with veggies and a slice or 2 of bacon.

For lunch I have 2-3 oz of protein (steak, pork chops, shrimp, fish, hamburger, crab or sometimes chicken). Chicken doesn't agree with me too well now. I have that on top of a cup of lettuce with tomato, cucumber, carrot, a sprinkle of cheese and I use real full fat dressing but I do the fork dip trick.

For dinner I have 2-3 oz of protein and some kind of veggie - I like steamed green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots or more salad.

For snacks I have string cheese, mini pepperoni, sliced ham or roast beef, jerky, sliced cheese or bariatric protein bars made for WLS patients.

I eat between 800-900 calories a day and that's how my days look.

Again, OP has NOT had surgery. This is only applicable to you and other folks that HAVE had surgery. It isn't that it's bad advice, it's just like trying to use the wrong key on a lock.. doesn't fit.
  • JessieMaeH82
    JessieMaeH82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

THIS
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Cereals are always a good way to go, i eat special k, 2 bowls a day, means i can have a bigger lunch because of the other calories.
    Cherry tomatoes and cucumber are a really low calorie snack, i can pretty much eat as much as i like.
    Winter or not, there's only 40ish calories in ice lollies, a nice bit of flavour to add to your day :)

You are absolutely wrong, with all due respect. Cereal is the absolutely worst way to go. I can make a very big salad that includes an egg or a pouch of tuna for under 250 calories. What do you get for 250 calories as far as cereal ( and nutrition ) is concerned.
    With 800 calories no one can eat " pretty much as much as they like", because every calorie counts.
  • VSGgal
    VSGgal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too had WLS and we are to stay in the 800 range for a while. I eat a subway 3" on flatbread sub for breakfast, some turkey and cheese and grapes for lunch and about 2-4 ounces of protein for dinner with some veggies. I eat a LOT of lean protein (tuna/ shrimp/ chicken/ turkey).

Good luck
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating more and lifting weights and cardio and eating like a human being should. And a new doctor.
This discussion has been closed.