800 Calorie a Day - Suggestions

Options

Replies

• LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm a doctor, so I will give you my advice:

Eat nothing until to lose 37 pounds. It may take a couple of months, but stick to it. What people don't tell you is that eating becomes a habit! Just break the habit.

Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cereals are always a good way to go, i eat special k, 2 bowls a day, means i can have a bigger lunch because of the other calories.
    Cherry tomatoes and cucumber are a really low calorie snack, i can pretty much eat as much as i like.
    Winter or not, there's only 40ish calories in ice lollies, a nice bit of flavour to add to your day :)

Cearel, veggies, and ice lollies. Nice well-balanced diet you got there... :noway:

some people dont need protein... or something.... :noway:
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    hi, can fully understand what you are going through as my doctor also put me on 800 cal a day, i stumbled upon my fitness pal and got all the same "you are crazy" responses, its hard as you do try and trust your doctor, i went back to him and said all my doubts but like you he said rubbish. I struggled a bit at the beginning but finally i am on 1100 ish a day, i try and eat clean and keep my carbs about 100g a day, i have lost steadily, i would rather be healthier than just thin and hope the thin part will come eventually, my diary is open, i want this to be a lifestyle choice not just a fad diet.
    good luck
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    How about eatting 1000 more of good food!? -_- And I suggest you tell you doctor you stick it up his annnossss!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you are really going to do this make sure what you eat is good healthy food. As everyone has already said, I really disagree with 800 calories a day. I think you will loose, but its not going to be healthy and its not going to help you learn how to eat for the long haul. Please seek a second opinion!
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was only talking snacks, not my entire plan.
    I eat chicken breast and veggies.
    Turkey breast and rice.
    Feel a bit alienated, just giving out some low calorie snack ideas, that's it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If a doctor gave you an 800 calorie a day limit, and didn't give you specific counseling on exactly what foods to eat or short-term followup, then ignore everything he has told you and find a new doctor immediately.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that you load up on green veggies save your calories for fat/protein. The veggies will fill you up and provide you with nutrients and the fat/protein will increase your satiety levels.

I eat 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt every morning, like plain Fage or Greek Gods-NO Flavors added and add a tsp of honey and a good dose of cinnamon. This breakfast is filling and is only 135 calories.

For lunch and dinner, I'd say eat a source of protein. Chicken and turkey are good options. I'd stick with 3 oz. per serving. Here's a good list, I think, of proteins: http://www.womenandweight.com/weight-management/weight-loss/low-calorie-meat-poultry-fish-and-seafood-100-calories-or-less/
    Additionally, eat a salad with a lemon and olive oil dressing, or homemade vinaigrette. Steamed broccoli, sautéed spinach, green beans, asparagus, cabbage, etc. are great fillers. You CAN have butter/oil, but mind the portions and calculate the calories. Generally-speaking, I can eat 30-50 calories per veggie and get really full.

For something sweet, I'd stick with berries. They are very low calorie and tasty!

Drink your water! It will help keep you from feeling so hungry, and it's just really good for your body to stay hydrated.

Good luck!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My strongest recommendation is that you see a different doctor to get a second opinion.

I have to say I'd be seeking a second opinion as well. Or we don't have all the facts. Do you only have 37 lbs to lose? Is there a time deadline urgency, like a surgery or something? Why did this doctor suggest such a low amnt? What kind of a doctor is this?

Look, can it be done? I suppose. Don't know the long term effects on your body though. Probably not good. If you're married, may not have good long term effects on that either. {me get grumpy when hungry}.

give us more facts if you want help in whether this is a wise decision.
  • jodyt1
    Options
    Eat lettuce wraps with turkey or chicken and use mustard or salsa, really good.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Dr._Riviera.png
    Do not trust this man.

Get another opinion.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My strongest recommendation is that you see a different doctor to get a second opinion.

Ditto
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sorry but my only suggestion is to raise your calorie intake to at least 1200. Good luck!
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Many physicians do not have nutritional education - I'd ask for a second opinion, and/or go see a nutritionist.

Your health is your greatest asset. Short-term weight loss will definitely happen, but long-term will not. I've kept off 70 pounds for 20 years - by eating well. Please take care of yourself.
  • forthehungergames
    Options
    Doctors have about three hours of nutrition training, good luck... ;)
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the doctor in the movie about Liberace who put him on the California Diet. Very low calorie - main ingredient cocaine! Except Liberace took drugs to lose the appetite.. uh but he died eventually. The doctor himself was a plastic surgeon, didn't do a very good job!!!

I do not recommend the California Diet.

My suggestion on what to eat - about 400 calories more a day.

If you are hell bent on doing this, I suppose you would have to eat what they tell people who just had weight loss surgery.. get protein first.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Lots of peanut butter in a hot dog bun'll do.

Oh, and a new doctor.
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    New Dr. More food.

Best of luck meeting your goals!
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I eat about 800 calories a day, but that's only because I get up to 1000 calories from my peritoneal dialysis solution each night and I'm on a severely restrictive diet for my kidneys. While it is possible, it's not easy to stick to (trust me!). I agree with the other posters who said you might want to seek a second opinion - or at least ask your doctor for suggestions so you make sure you're getting all the proper nutrients. Good luck to you!
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd start the day with a big heaping bowl of holy **** am I hungry
    Lunch a balanced plate of a few peas, a drawing of a nice juicy ribeye steak
    Dinner of another big bowl of holy **** am i hungry with a side of 800 calories worth of fast food
    Follow that up with a big glass of not a chance will you stick to 800 calories a day
This discussion has been closed.