800 Calorie a Day - Suggestions

Options

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    lawl
    did this "doctor" have any qualifications?
    but this is what i would suggest to eat:
    breakfast: 3 bacon sandwiches.
    snack: deep fried chocolate bar
    lunch: 2 large mcdonalds meals
    snack: 3 bags of chips
    dinner: nothing cos if you dont eat after 6 you lose weight! Ask your doctor, im sure he'll agree
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I questioned him as well - about the STARVATION MODE, and he disagrees with it. He says as long as you are eating throughout the day, your body will burn.

Your doctor is so wrong on this. It doesn't matter if you eat throughout the day or all calories in one sitting. Timing doesn't have an effect on your metabolism. quantity does.

Get a new doctor.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    With 37 lbs to lose, why did a Dr. put you on an 800 calorie diet?
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    New Dr. More food.

Best of luck meeting your goals!
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    With 37 lbs to lose, why did a Dr. put you on an 800 calorie diet?
    So he could sell him $800 worth of Herbalife shakes and pills?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Still waiting on the OP to come in and defend his doctor.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I am in a similar boat. I had my metabolism tested and found out that my base RMR is 1022 calories. That is almost 500 less than average for my age, etc.

I am borderline obese, and have back and joint problems.

That said, in order to ease the pain on my joints, I have to lose weight. In order to lose weight, I have to eat less than 1000 calories a day.

Here are my suggestions - up your activity to 300 minutes a week. Sounds like a lot, but find things you LOVE, not just things you feel like you should because it's call "exercise". Think about what you did as a kid!

Second, explore a more plant based lifestyle. You can get more bang for your buck with legumes, whole grains and fruit and veg. They have more staying power than the standard american diet.

By all means, avoid processed crap - including processed "health food". It's all garbage. When your food manufacturer is a chemical company, not a farmer, then you are headed in the wrong direction for a low calorie diet.

Listen to your body. If you are fatigued, eat more plant protein.

See a registered dietician - not a "nutritionist" as registered dieticians have more medical training.

Good luck.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm a doctor, so I will give you my advice:

Eat nothing until to lose 37 pounds. It may take a couple of months, but stick to it. What people don't tell you is that eating becomes a habit! Just break the habit.

Good luck.
    That's brilliant! If somebody did your plan, they could break *all* their other bad habits too at the same time, if they stick with it long enough! :laugh:
  • pingwn33
    pingwn33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get under 800 a day...i avg between 600-800 post gastric sleeve and am doing just fine. My suggestion would be to eat more protein and less carbs and fats and stay away from breads, rice, cereals, and pasta. kinda like the adkins diet I would think is similar. and you could try a protein shake as a meal replacement once a day....I have lost 64lbs since July and am doing just fine.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Breakfast I would suggest low calorie yogurt with lots of fruit: berries are great anti-oxidents and they're low calorie. Try turkey bacon (if you're not vegetarian) you can have 2 slices for the same calories as 1 slice of the regular stuff. But you'll need the protein to keep from getting hungry.

I would suggest salads and soups.

Fresh, green, leafy salads with home-made dressings will have very low calories but a lot of good nutrition. I like to use romaine, spinach, cucumber, celery, radishes, onion, tomato, red cabbage, carrots.... and to keep me from getting hungry I'll often add 100 calories of almond slivers, walnuts, or old cheddar cheese. You can have about 3 cups of salad for under 250 calories. So I tend to make that for lunches.

Dinner I would suggest chicken breast, fish or lean pork. You would be surprised how few calories are actually in the stuff. And try using spices or fresh lemon instead of barbecue sauces. Stay away from rice or potatoes because it's really empty calories. You don't really need it. Vegetable choices that are low calorie could be asparagus, peas, beans, brusssel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli (I usually melt about 50 calories of cheese on the broccoli or cauliflower just to get it down, cuz I hate the stuff). There are tons of choices that are under 50 calories per cup. I would say for you, go with 2 cups of vegetables in a dinner meal, its a LOT of food, but it's low calorie. It's about filling you up but staying in that hardcore 800 calorie budget.

Snacks? Berries, cucumber, celery... there's a lot of stuff out there for under 50 calories a serving. If you're starving, 10 almonds is usually a good choice. The protein makes you feel full.

If your doctor said 800 calories, it must be a FOR NOW diet, because I doubt he wants you to stay there. I mean, prolonged calorie levels like that could kill you.
  • renewondergem
    Options
    even morbidly obese people get put on a diet of 1500 calories a day... 800 is just not enough. Go exercise more if you want to lose weight.. (when possible)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I am in a similar boat. I had my metabolism tested and found out that my base RMR is 1022 calories. That is almost 500 less than average for my age, etc.

That said, in order to ease the pain on my joints, I have to lose weight. In order to lose weight, I have to eat less than 1000 calories a day.
    No.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    800 still seems pretty low even if suggested by a doctor... I would maybe get a second opinion just to be safe.. But you can eat lots of veggies, kale, spinach, sweet potatoes, beans, nuts, legumes, lean proteins like salmon, chicken, etc. Pre-make salads to take to work/school for lunch that have spinach, a little grilled chicken, some chickpeas, toss in olive oil and lemon juice or a low fat dressing.. hard boiled eggs for breakfast, or yogurt. Since your diet is so restrictive I would eat low carb as well because that will cut out a lot of calories, and if you do have carbs have like whole grain pasta/toast etc. Less processed food, cook at home.. its really easy to roast some veggies in the oven with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and then you have a great side dish or snack. And are you allowed to eat more if you exercise more? So say you eat 800 calories, burn 300, your deficit would be at 500 for the day unless you ate the extra 300 back?
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My strongest recommendation is that you see a different doctor to get a second opinion.

This would be my recommendation too!

In the meantime, are you going to learn to eat better and in a way that will be sustainable for you so that the 37 unwanted pounds don't return? If so, why not just eat in that healthy, sustainable way now and not put yourself through the unpleasantness of eating only 800 calories a day?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I get under 800 a day...i avg between 600-800 post gastric sleeve and am doing just fine. My suggestion would be to eat more protein and less carbs and fats and stay away from breads, rice, cereals, and pasta. kinda like the adkins diet I would think is similar. and you could try a protein shake as a meal replacement once a day....I have lost 64lbs since July and am doing just fine.

which is fine, except the OP hasn't had gastric bypass. Keep in mind that MOST PEOPLE shouldn't be doing this. Just because it's okay for you, you have to remember that you.. unlike most folks here... actually ARE a special snowflake.

Don't condone 600-800 on here....
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    find a new doctor.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Cuz most doctors know so much about nutrition.... from the one single course that they took in university years ago.... Just like many people here at MFP, doctors, at least the ones who don't specialize in metabolic disorders, think it weight loss is ONLY calories in and calories out (there's no complex systems at work in the human body!) so of course eating as little as possible is the best way to lose weight (what about health?).... NOT. :noway:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is a dilhole
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

:noway: You don't have to eat less than your RMR to lose weight... you eat less than your TDEE. 2 very different numbers.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Man. Everyone on here seems to be an expert. An 800-calorie diet is called a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) and it is a real thing that is used for obese people, usually with diabetes. It is done under strict supervision by a doctor. You may not agree with it. Your own doctor might not agree with it. Just like some doctors advocate weight loss surgery and others don't. But just because this person's doctor is advising it doesn't mean it's wrong.

However, asking on here about what to eat is probably a bad idea as from what I've read, VLCDs are quite strict about what those calories are made up of.
This discussion has been closed.