Options

Replies

• dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Soup.

2heads of broccoli cooked in low sodium chicken broth
    1sprig of lemon grass.
    *after broccoli is soft blend in a blender. (make sure you remove the lemon grass)
    * you may add the broth if you want it thinner.
    *add salt and pepper to your liking. (I added red pepper flakes)
    *serve with a 1oz of sharp white shredded cheddar cheese.

my family loves this with grilled lemon chicken, grilled cheese, or by its self. :)
  • melissalatzel23
    Options
    in a big pot, throw in:

1 sweet potato
    3 cloves garlic
    a small chunk of fresh ginger
    a small thick slice of turmeric
    some onion
    about 500g fresh pumpkin (i buy like a 800g chunk, peel and chop it myself)

Let it boil all together until everything is soft
    then throw everything together in a blender, sprinkle ground cinnamon and blend with water until soup-like!
    sometimes i add less water to make it more of a thick puree'

this is great way to get in garlic and health benefits from ginger and turmeric into your diet...
    also i sprinkle cayenne pepper and chia seeds
    this recipe is great for no oil , no dairy, vegan, pure amazing goodness
  • melissalatzel23
    Options
    also i sprinkle cayenne pepper

this recipe is great for no oil , no dairy, vegan, pure amazing goodness
  • Beertroll
    Options
    African peanut stew:
    http://cookieandkate.com/2013/west-african-peanut-soup/

It's really really good. I DONT serve it with rice, and then I make more servings out of it by adding a ton of other veggies and like, double the collard greens. When I've made it it's been about 400-600 cals per serving but it is incredibly filling.

West African peanut stew is absolutely one of my all-time favorite dishes. My wife's recipe differs a bit from the one posted (she uses diced tomatoes, no kale/collards (though that sounds like a great addition), and she includes a very generous amount of cayenne and red pepper), but most incarnations I've had of it are excellent. It pairs really nicely with a good flatbread. Did I mention I love it? Because I love it. In fact, I really wish I had some right now. Thanks for bringing it up and making me sad that I don't have any. Jerk.

I would direct you to skinnytaste's soup recipes (http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Soup Recipes). My wife and I have tried several, and they've all been quite tasty. A word of warning: the Tuscan White Bean and Roasted Garlic crock pot soup is incredibly delicious, but the day after was pretty uncomfortable.
  • faeryblights
    faeryblights Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Refried bean soup. It's amazing. For 4 servings, 277 calories per serving. I used refried pinto beans from trader joe's because that's what I had, turned out great.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/03/smoky-refried-bean-soup.html
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I made lentil soup tonight, just throwing together what I had. Lots of different veggie/spice combinations possible.

I browned 3 chopped up slices of bacon (more would be better, but we were almost out). Added a little olive oil, sauteed one diced white onion, 3 cloves of garlic, shredded carrots, and 2 ribs of celery. Then I added 2 cans of chicken broth, the full bag of lentils, and a "little of this, little of that" seasonings- I used basil, oregano, cumin, and some lemon pepper (plus some salt at the end). I added a little water, also, because it didn't seem "soupy" enough. Bring it to a boil, then turn the heat down and let it simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30-45 minutes.

I added it up as 189 calories per bowl, and I had 2 bowls full.
  • _EdnaRose_
    _EdnaRose_ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    These will be wonderful for the winter!
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    This recipe is from the BBC food site but I've made some changes to reduce the calorie content further (they're in capitals) :smile: I love this soup and i'm not a huge soup fan haha. This will serve 4 people. Each serving contains approx 215 calories.

1 butternut squash, about 1kg, peeled and deseeded
    2 tbsp RAPSEED OIL instead of olive oil
    1 tbsp LOW FAT butter
    2 RED onions, diced
    2 garlic cloveS, thinly sliced
    2 mild red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped (KEEP WHOLE FOR A HOT SOUP)
    850ml hot vegetable stock
    4 tbsp REDUCED FAT crème fraîche
    1 TBSP OF DOUBLE CREAM TO SERVE
    FRESH BASIL LEAVES FOR PRESENTATION

1.Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cut the squash into large cubes, about 4cm/1½in across, then toss in a large roasting tin with half the RAPESEED OIL. Roast for 30 mins, turning once during cooking, until golden and soft.
    2.While the squash cooks, melt the LOW FAT butter with the remaining oil in a large saucepan, then add the RED onions, garlic and the chilli. Cover and cook on a very low heat for 15-20 mins until the onions are completely soft.
    3.Tip the squash into the pan, add the stock and the REDUCED FAT crème fraîche, then whizz with a stick blender until smooth. For a really silky soup, put the soup into a liquidiser and blitz it in batches. Return to the pan, gently reheat, then season to taste. Serve the soup in bowls with swirls of DOUBLE CREAM and a scattering of BASIL LEAVES.

Enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My bro made an apple and parsnip soup which was was delicious!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I made this as my first pot of soup of the fall the other night (even if it's not quite fall yet):

1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 cups of sliced carrots
    2 boxes of fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
    1 15 oz. can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    dried oregano, to taste
    pepper, to taste
    a pack of Italian sausage (5 links), crumbled and cooked in a separate pan and drained well
    1 bag of tri-color cheese tortellini
    1 bag of baby spinach, chopped

Combine the first 6 ingredients and let simmer. Meanwhile, cook and drain the sausage, then add that to the soup pot. When it comes to a gentle boil, add the tortellini and cook 5-7 minutes. Add the spinach and turn off the heat, giving the spinach a few minutes to wilt.

It made 6 large servings that worked out to 385 calories apiece. To reduce the calories, you could cut back on the amount of tortellini or use turkey sausage.
  • dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are some yummy looking recipes on this thread! If you make it a habit to share recipes with your MFP friends, I want to add all of you to my friend list!! lol

No time to post recipe today but I will come back to contribute this weekend!!
  • This is my go to soup,

Carrot Soup

2 cups carrots (peeled and chopped)
    1 onion (chopped)
    1/2 tbsp butter (I use sweet cream unsalted)
    1 can Coconut milk
    Saracha sauce to taste

Sauté onion in butter until translucent and starting to brown slightly. Add carrots and just enough water to cover, bring to a boil and cook until carrots are tender. Either using a regular blender or immersion blender, blend the carrot mixture until smooth. Add coconut milk and blend it into the carrot mixture. Blend in Saracha sauce till it suits your taste. Depending on the amount of water you added, this should make 4 - 2 cup servings. 249 cal, 18 carbs, 19 fat, 5 protein, 212 sodium, 4 fiber
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I just put a buillion cube in some water, add about a cup of my pasta of choice, and then throw in whatever veggies I have in the refrigerator. :)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    HAM & CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE

MAKES 6-8 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS

LOW-FAT BUTTER
    3 CUPS NON-FAT BROTH (BEEF, CHICKEN OR VEGETABLE)
    2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
    1 TABLESPOON TOMATO PASTE
    2 CUPS CHOPPED CABBAGE
    3 CHOPPED CARROTS
    2 HAM STEAKS, CHOPPED INTO SMALL PIECES
    1/2 YELLOW ONION
    1/4 CUP CELERY
    1/2 TEASPOON BASIL
    1/2 TEASPOON OREGANO
    I LARGE CAN LOW SALT TOMATO JUICE
    2 BAY LEAVES
    PEPPERCORNS

SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE

PREPARATION

1. IN A LARGE DUTCH OVEN, MELT BUTTER AND SAUTE CARROT, CELERY, ONION AND GARLIC OVER LOW HEAT FOR 5 MINUTES (OR UNTIL SOFTENED).
    2. ADD OTHER INGREDIENTS AND BRING TO A RAPID BOIL
    3. LOWER HEAT AND SIMMER FOR A ABOUT 45 MINS TO AN HOUR OR UNTIL ALL VEGETABLES ARE TENDER.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not normally a big fan of soup but these are three of my favorites:

http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-copycat-362666

For my version - use a whole 14oz turkey keilbasa link; instead of chopped up bacon I use bacon bits or chopped up turkey pepperoni; and double the kale (4 cups)

http://www.food.com/recipe/down-east-haddock-chowder-5150

Option: make it a seafood chowder by adding cooked lobster, crab, etc.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hearty-Chicken-Tortilla-Soup/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe Hub

Warning - this one has a lot of sodium due to ingredients coming from jars/cans but it's delicious! My twist: use a whole 4 cup box of reduced sodium; use Newman's Own Farmer's Garden salsa (whole jar); omit tortilla stips; add in 2 or 3 sliced up carrots; and it's ok to use a little lemon juice if you have that on hand instead of lime juice. And don't even try using hot salsa unless you really enjoy very spicy things - that batch was barely edible.
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ginger Coconut Yam Soup

 1 Tetra pack of low sodium vegetable broth (equals 4cups)
     1 Can of Coconut Milk
     3 LARGE Yam
     Some raw ginger – grated to taste (couple tablespoons worth)
     Cinnamon to taste
     Salt to taste
     Pepper to taste
     *Peanut Butter Optional to taste as well can be yummy

1. Bake Yams like a potato (or in microwave) until very soft. Let cool for an hour.
    2. Blend yams and broth (in a few batches) in a blender
    3. Combine everything in a pot, cook for 10 mins or longer to bring out the spices flavors more.

• If it’s too thick add more broth to thin out as you don’t need to use the WHOLE tetra pack. IT really depends on the size of the yams. I made mine really really thick (used TOO many Yams!)
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just buy a stack of veggies ( Cabbage, Corn, Tomatoes, Tomatillos, Mexican Squash, Red/Green/Yellow Pepper, Onions ) and a jalapeno. I throw that in a soup pot with water and let it cook down. I season with salt, pepper, chile power, lime and it's downright delicious.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Stew

1/2 large head of savoy cabbage-chopped
    1lb. ground beef (or meat of choice)
    1/2 onion diced
    32oz. can whole tomatoes
    6oz can tomato paste
    1 cup rice
    2c water
    2 bay leaves
    1T Italian seasoning
    1T garlic powder
    salt/pepper to taste

Saute beef with onion, add spices, rice, tomato paste and whole tomatoes ( chopped them in half first). Mix and then add cabbage and water. Cover and let cook for 30 min.

Enjoy!