looking for some SOUP ideas..

Options

Replies

• hisushi87
    Options
    I love this ukranian soup called borscht it's super healthy and filling and has loads of root veggies in it, it'll bring the colour to your cheeks!

you need
    3 medium sized beets washed with a brillo pad
    2 grated carrots
    2 sticks of chopped celery
    1 onion chopped
    half a red cabbage finely chopped
    2 potatos
    a handful of dill
    16 cups of cold, filtered water
    lamb/beef/meat stock or veggie bullion if your veggie/ vegan

optional sour cream of philidelphia

1: put beets in cold water and leave to boil for about an hour
    2: Take beets out and add your carrots, cabbage, potatoes and boil until soft
    3: Fry your meat with the onions or dilute your stock in another cup of hot water
    4: Put celery and dill in soup for 5 minutes
    5: Take a hand blender and blend the soup evenly
    6: Add stock and cook for another 5 minutes
    7: Serve with or without cream and a garnish of dill

p.s this makes A LOT of soup but it's good because it freezes well and you can stock up your freezer for the upcoming winter months!
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Simple & Low Calorie, easily adapted to the slow cooker, range top, or oven.

Tortellini Soup

1 box Chicken Broth
    1 bag Tortellini
    1 pound Italian Sausage
    1 bag Spinach, raw baby
    1 c Greek Yogurt, plain (or lowfat cream cheese)
    Fresh Grated Parmesan (opt)

Brown the sausage until it is nice and crispy, drain off grease but do not rinse. Add the broth to the fry pan and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosten the stuck bits. Remove some of the broth to whisk in with the yogurt in a small bowl, once blended, slowly add to the mixture in the pan. Add in the sausage, tortellini, and spinach.

Range top: Turn the heat down to low until the tortellini is cooked.
    Oven: Pour into baking dish and bake at 350° for roughly 45-60 minutes.
    Crockpot: Dump everything into crockpot. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. I've left it in for 8 with no problems.

Serve with grated parmesan cheese.

I do not season this with anything because it draws flavor and seasonin from the sausage.

Store leftovers in overnight in the refrigerator. The next day the tortellini will have absorbed most of the liquid so it is more like a casserole.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    super easy three bean chili

3 cans of beans, whatever you like
    1 bag of morningstar crumbles or cooked hamburger meat if you prefer
    brown sugar to taste usually 1/2 cup or more
    Liquid Smoke to taste (key ingredient and awesome in so much, especially eggs!)
    salt, pepper, cumin, chipotle whatever mexican spices you like
    I also throw in some franks red hot but it's optional
    You could add veggies if you like. My suggestions being onions, corn, diced cooked potatoes, green peas, whatever go nuts!
    Taste as you go, throw it all in a crockpot and forget it for 2 hours or so.
  • k1o2r3i4
    k1o2r3i4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash soup! Soo good! I left out the cream and butter tho~ and added a bit of ginger!
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/30466-roasted-butternut-squash-soup
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My fave:

600 grams (21 oz) fresh chopped broccoli, cauliflower or a combination
    2 cups of fat free chicken stock

Steam the broccoli/cauliflower until soft. Add the chicken stock. Blend (I use a stick blender) until you have a puree. Season and eat. It is really that simple, but one of the best quick soups I've ever had.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    these are awesome ty
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on the pumpkin thread!

Cream of Pumpkin Soup

1 container of vegetable stock/broth
    1 can of pure pureed pumpkin
    1 onion, chopped
    3 bay leaves
    a dash or two of pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 cup of half and half

Add the bay leaves, pumpkin pie spice and onions to the broth. Cook until the onions are tender. Add the pumpkin. Remove the bay leaves and puree the soup (I use a stick blender). Add back the bay leaves and simmer. Remove from heat and add half and half.

Sooo yummy and easy!
  • NinjaFatBunny
    NinjaFatBunny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Got some cabbage soup cooking now :) Less than 1000 calories for a giant Magnalite roaster, (turned out to be 28 cups)!
    Cabbage, zucchini, yellow squash, jalapenos, onion, carrots, celery, button mushrooms, low sodium chicken broth, and a small can of tomato sauce.

Total calorie per cup...36 !
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I make a pretty good hot & sour soup :-)
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    this is the easiest soup in the world, and INMHO one of the tastiest :)

2 cups frozen peas
    water (sufficient for cooking)
    white pepper
    salt to taste
    half cup rice milk or whatever you choose

cook peas in water, drain (reserving liquid) allow to cool enough to use a blender - I just use one of those bamix type things.
    puree peas, add milk & other ingredients.
    Sometimes I throw in some fresh mint and lemon zest.

It is so simple, but just delicious
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of The scramble and they would send weekly recipes and grocery lists for nutritious food. One of our favorite recipes was their Sweet Potato Apple Soup. It is a puree type soup: rich, creamy and filling.

- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium
    chunks
    - 1 firm apple, such as Gala or Jonagold, peeled, cored
    and quartered
    - 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
    - 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
    - 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    - 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
    - 1/8 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
    - 3-4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    - 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream, for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put the sweet potatoes, apples, onions and garlic in a roasting pan. Toss them with the oil and a few shakes of salt and pepper. Roast, tossing every 10 minutes, until they are soft, about 30 minutes. (Meanwhile, prepare the corn muffins and carrots, if you are serving them.)

Puree the vegetable/apple mixture in a blender or food processor (or in the pot using an immersion blender), adding just enough broth to cover it. Add more broth to the blender until the soup reaches the desired consistency, so it is smooth and not too thick. If you are using a blender, you will probably need to puree the soup in two batches. Warm the soup over low heat in a stockpot until ready to serve, or refrigerate it for up to 1 day or freeze it for up to 3 months. Stir in sour cream at the table for a creamier taste, if desired.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A favorite from lunchbox.com a couple of years ago:

Ginger Pumpkin Butternut Squash Soup
    vegan, makes about 6 cups

1 cup canned organic pumpkin (or use fresh roasted if you have on hand)
    4 cups butternut squash cubes
    1 Tbsp ginger powder
    1/3 cup grade B maple syrup
    2 Tbsp vegan buttery spread (add more for a richer, more buttery soup)
    1/2 tsp pink sea salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    4 leaves fresh sage, torn
    1/2 cup+ plain almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)

To Make:

1. Add 4 cups of water to a large pot. Bring to boil. Add in butternut squash cubes and a pinch of salt. Boil until squash is tender - but not falling apart.

2. Drain the squash and add to a high speed blender. Add in the pumpkin, spices, and all the remaining ingredients. For the milk, start with 1/2 cup and keep adding until your soup reaches your desired thickness.

3. Blend. Serve immediately - warm. Or you can simmer on the stove until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh sage leaves.

OMG
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    bump for later, several on here I want to make. Thanks
  • lavender211
    lavender211 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love "soups" have made vegtable use your favorite veggies beef or chicken stock measure as you go and you'll know the calories. I make a broccoli ,potato soup simmer chicken broth add green onions and broccoli crowns till done as you like it add 1&1/2 cup low fat milk thicken with mash potato flakes any flavor measure the flakes till thick as you like it top with parsley flakes add any seasoning you like.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MuskCats
    MuskCats Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1 zucchini
    1 cup cauliflower
    1/2 potato
    1 cup broccoli
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

You want to cook all these together and add 1 1/2 cups of water to it, then after the veggies are cooked, you blend them and it turns into a thick, nice soup. I personally LOVE it...
  • FritzTheCat1030
    Options
    Vietnamese Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup with Lemongrass (Canh Chua Tom)

1 cup rice, prepared in a rice cooker or saucepan as directed
    3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved for the broth
    3 stalks lemongrass, with the green stalks cut off from the white bulb and reserved--and with the tender inner heart of the bulb pounded flat, minced finely, and set aside
    4 cups water
    1 15-ounce can straw mushrooms, drained
    1 small tomato, peeled and cut into thin wedges
    1 lime, grated and juiced

Garnishes:

2 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
    1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
    3 Tablespoons lime juice
    4 Tablespoons nuoc mam (fish sauce)
    chili oil or Vietnamese chili-garlic sauce, to taste and to pass separately

Cook the rice as directed, and reserve. Ready the garnishes and set aside.

Prepare the broth by bringing 4 cups of water to a boil with the shrimp shells, then adding the lemongrass stalks and removing from heat. After a minute, strain out the shells and stalks.

When ready to serve, add the mushrooms, lime juice and grated peel, minced lemongrass heart, and tomato to the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer for 2 more minutes. Pour into a tureen. Stir in the garnishes. Take to the table and serve at once, passing the rice and chili sauce separately.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Loaded "Skinnier" Baked Potato Soup
    (Adapted from Skinnytaste.com)

Serves 5

2 Russet Potatoes (washed)
    1 Small Head of cauliflower (cut into florets, can also use 1 lb bag of frozen florets)
    1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (or stock)
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk (yes it actually works well in this)
    1 1lb bag of broccoli florets (or chopped pieces)
    Salt and Pepper (to taste)
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup chives
    5 slices of bacon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place a wire rack over a rimmed cookie sheet. Line the bacon on the rack. Roast for 15-20 minutes (depends on thickness) until reached desired doneness (I like mine crispy lol). Set aside.

While bacon is cooking, using a fork poke the potatoes all over and then microwave for 5 minutes. Flip and then nuke for 3-5 more minutes. Once cool enough to handle remove skins.

In a large pot, steam cauliflower until tender. Drain pot and return cauliflower to it. Over medium, add chicken broth, milk, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Use an immersion blender and puree (or if you are like me and don't have one use a regular blender) until smooth. Add yogurt, half of chives, salt and pepper, and broccoli and cook on low/medium low for about 5-10 minutes, stirring now and then. While soup is finishing, chop bacon into bite sized bits.

Remove from heat. Each serving is about 1 cup. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and remaining chives.

**Note** This is a good recipe to try the whole mashed potato/cauliflower thing if you are iffy about it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    this is the easiest soup in the world, and INMHO one of the tastiest :)

2 cups frozen peas
    water (sufficient for cooking)
    white pepper
    salt to taste
    half cup rice milk or whatever you choose

cook peas in water, drain (reserving liquid) allow to cool enough to use a blender - I just use one of those bamix type things.
    puree peas, add milk & other ingredients.
    Sometimes I throw in some fresh mint and lemon zest.

It is so simple, but just delicious

I like browning up some cubbed ham and tossing it in pea soup, alongside some shredded cheese and croutons (they aren't just for salads you know).
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    African peanut stew:
    http://cookieandkate.com/2013/west-african-peanut-soup/

It's really really good. I DONT serve it with rice, and then I make more servings out of it by adding a ton of other veggies and like, double the collard greens. When I've made it it's been about 400-600 cals per serving but it is incredibly filling.

Also..
    Alton Brown's lentil soup, which I never thought I'd like:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe/index.html

And I made this the other day without the cream toppings, and subbing butternut for acorn squash it was goood:
    http://www.tarteletteblog.com/2011/10/recipe-gluten-free-acorn-squash-sweet.html

Aaaaand

Carrot Onion Soup:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/alice-waters-carrot-soup-recipe.html

After my heart!