looking for some SOUP ideas..

Options

Replies

• 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    This is in my crock pot right now (for the first time) and I tasted it at lunch time and it is delicious! :)

1 can of Corn
    1 can of Black Beans drained and rinsed
    1 can Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (use whichever "heat" you prefer-original gives it a little kick:wink: )
    1 package Ranch - Seasoning & Salad Dressing Mix (Dry Powder)
    2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast cooked and cut into bite sized pieces - or omit it for a vegetarian soup
    1 package Cream Cheese

Put all in the crockpot with the cream chese on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  • sineanbroc
    sineanbroc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome recipies guys, Now I want to get home and get cooking!

I LOVE SOUP SEASON!
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Commenting to save- I love soup!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Made a YUMMY soup last night:

Curried Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Soup

1 tbsp. coconut oil
    1 medium sweet onion (diced)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
    3 tbsp. red curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen)
    4 cups cubed butternut squash (I had some in freezer, defrosted in microwave)
    1/2 can pumpkin puree (about 6 oz)
    1 can coconut milk
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 tbsp. raw sugar
    3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce

1. Heat coconut oil in soup pot on medium. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir in curry paste and cook another few minutes until very fragrant. Dump squash and pumpkin into pot and cook another 4 minutes.
    2. Add rest of the ingredients, turn to low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
    3. Puree in batches or use an immersion blender.
    4. I am out of both but I bet it would be delicious topped with cilantro and or sour cream/greek yogurt.

mmmm fall soups!
  • DDouglas59
    DDouglas59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lentil Soup so easy and so good!

1 carton of Campbells Reduced Salt Chicken Broth
    1 Cup Red Lentils Rinsed
    1 Large Carrot peeled and chopped
    1 Large Onion Chopped

Put everything in a pot and boil for about 30 mins
    Then puree, so healthy!

5 good size servings for 183 calories per serving
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Here are two I like:

White Chili

Splash of oil
    1/2 lb. ground turkey
    1/4 c. chopped onion or 1 tsp. or so onion powder
    1/4 tsp. garlic salt
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    Black pepper to taste
    1/4 – 1/2 c. salsa, heat level of your choice
    1 can great northern beans (I think 15 oz?), with a majority of the liquid poured off
    1 c. chicken broth or so
    Black pepper
    3 or 4 tblesp. shredded cheese (2 oz. or less)

In a pot, “brown” ground turkey (and onions if using) in a small amount of oil (I use EVOO). When no longer pink, add seasonings, salsa, and beans (I didn’t drain all the liquid off, but most, leaving some to add some “body” to the broth, but hopefully not too much sodium) (and some jalapeno peppers if you want). Add enough broth to get the desired consistency. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Near the end of the simmering time, taste and adjust the seasoning (probably just need to add pepper). When serving, sprinkle with cheese.

Notes: I’m guessing at seasoning amounts. I never measure. My husband doesn’t like chunky stuff, so I used my immersion blender to whiz the salsa. The 1/4 cup or so of mild salsa I used provided just enough spiciness to let you know this was not just bean soup. I think 1/2 c. at least would be more in keeping with my idea of what this is suppose to be. My cheese was just an 5-cheese Italian blend, because my cheese drawer has eaten the pepper jack slices I know I had! Definitely more cheese could be used, and you could do more and stay healthy, but this was enough to let me know it was there without having to worry about going overboard. Since I add it at the very end, you can adjust each bowl to the eater’s taste of cheesiness. The original called for pepper jack cubes added at simmering time.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Crockpot Beef Veggie Soup
    maybe 1/2 lb. very lean beef roast, cut into small cubes
    7-8 skinny carrots, sliced/cubed
    1 stick celery
    1/2 a medium turnip, diced (you could use potato, but I avoid white potatoes)
    Diced onion to taste
    1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
    1 can chili hot beans with sauce/gravy/whatever your can calls the liquid
    1 medium carton beef broth (don't remember how many oz...maybe
    20something? not the little carton that is the same as a can, but the next
    one up)
    Seasoned salt and black pepper to taste

I just tossed all the solid ingredients in the pot, then added the liquids
    and some seasoned salt and stirred it up. Tasted this morning when I got
    up after it had cooked about 8 hours, added more seasoning salt and black
    pepper and let it cook another hour or so because the carrots and turnips
    were still a bit too firm for me.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I made Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili from Taste of Home Magazine a few weeks ago. It was so good. Here's the recipe:
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean--n--pumpkin-chili

I also make a Crockpot Beef Stew often. I just purchase one of those seasoning packets for Crockpot Stew. Chop up one onion,
    three or four carrots, one or two sweet potatoes, a couple potatoes, a few stocks of celery, one turnip. Add 3 to 4 cups of water and
    cook for 5-8 hrs.

Enjoy....
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. Will print it off later.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yuumybump
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Saving!
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I make lots of soup every weekend - one batch for my husband's lunch which is usually more substantial (meat, lentils, rice or quinoa or pasta), and a low cal one for myself. My go-to fave that I can make for both of us is based on Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Red Pepper. I just chop the washed and wet rabe fine - otherwise you have a lot of chin-slapping:glasses: - , then saute about 4-6 minced garlic cloves in a couple TBs olive oil, adding red pepper flakes and an inch of anchovy sauce (it dissolves in the oil and adds wonderful salty flavor, but can be omitted). Then I dump in the rabe and stir to mix, then cover and cook on med-high heat for min. Then I add either H2O or broth to make soup. I then add diced onions, carrots, celery, kale, spinach, lentils, whatever to boost nutrient value and volume. Sometimes I add Italian chicken sausage and maybe rice or quinoa or pasta for the DH. If you love Rabe the way we do, Rabe Soup is divine :love:
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I LOVE soups!! So tasty and great make-ahead meals!

There is this great soup cookbook I picked up last year (For the Love of Soup) and most of her recipes can be made within a half hour to an hour and make a lot of soup. I have frozen all the recipes I have tried and it makes for a great easy meal through out the week. They are so easy to alter (add carrots here or there). Just make sure to remember to freeze in containers for one serving. I really cannot recommend that book enough, specially for newbies to soup cooking!
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of The scramble and they would send weekly recipes and grocery lists for nutritious food. One of our favorite recipes was their Sweet Potato Apple Soup. It is a puree type soup: rich, creamy and filling.

- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium
    chunks
    - 1 firm apple, such as Gala or Jonagold, peeled, cored
    and quartered
    - 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
    - 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
    - 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    - 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
    - 1/8 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
    - 3-4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    - 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream, for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put the sweet potatoes, apples, onions and garlic in a roasting pan. Toss them with the oil and a few shakes of salt and pepper. Roast, tossing every 10 minutes, until they are soft, about 30 minutes. (Meanwhile, prepare the corn muffins and carrots, if you are serving them.)

Puree the vegetable/apple mixture in a blender or food processor (or in the pot using an immersion blender), adding just enough broth to cover it. Add more broth to the blender until the soup reaches the desired consistency, so it is smooth and not too thick. If you are using a blender, you will probably need to puree the soup in two batches. Warm the soup over low heat in a stockpot until ready to serve, or refrigerate it for up to 1 day or freeze it for up to 3 months. Stir in sour cream at the table for a creamier taste, if desired.

I just made this today, and it is seriously delicious:bigsmile: Highly recommended!
  • Cher_bearr
    Options
    Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

INGREDIENTS

4 pounds whole butternut squash (about 2 medium), halved lengthwise and seeds removed
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
    1 medium Granny Smith apple (about 8 ounces)
    1/2 medium yellow onion
    8 fresh sage leaves
    2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
    Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the squash pieces cut-side up on the baking sheet. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and brush all of it over the tops and insides of the squash halves (alternatively, you can rub it on evenly with your fingers). Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until knife tender, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
    Meanwhile, peel, core, and cut the apple into medium dice. Cut the onion into medium dice. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the apple, onion, and sage, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
    When the squash is ready, set the baking sheet on a wire rack until the squash is cool enough to handle. Using a large spoon, scoop the flesh into the saucepan with the sautéed apples and onions; discard the skins.
    Add the broth, water, and measured salt and pepper, stir to combine, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally and breaking up any large pieces of squash, until the flavors meld, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream.
    Using a blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth, removing the small cap from the blender lid (the pour lid) and covering the space with a kitchen towel (this allows steam to escape and prevents the lid from popping off). Alternatively, use an immersion blender. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    Ham beans and potato soup sooo yummy. You can also use shrimp instead or both I guess, but its awesome. I would give a recipe, but I don't measure I just kinda eye everything. Been cooking for a while now and had a great teacher (grandmas). You should google it to find a recipe that suits you.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Just made a pot of Pumkin-Mango Soup

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Pro Sodium
    Onion - Red Onion 150 g 63 15 0 1 5
    Garlic Clove, 6 g 8 2 0 0 2
    Vitam - Yeast Paste 35 g 81 9 0 11 1
    Red Chilli Peppers 12 g 14 3 0 1 3
    Ginger root - Raw, 15 g 12 3 0 0 2
    Oil - Olive, 2 tablespoon 239 0 27 0 1
    Hokkaido Kürbis, 740 g 474 93 4 13 0
    Carrots 240 g 98 23 1 2 166
    Apple, 270 g 167 38 1 1 3
    Coconut Milk, 250 ml 483 15 45 5 0
    Mango, Fresh, 260 g 143 30 1 2 3

Spices
    Thaibasil fresh , lemon grass fresh, Cinnamon, coriander powder, kardamon powder, star anis, cumin, curcuma, freshly ground pepper and chilli flakes to taste

All ingredients and spices up to oil - sautee in a big pot
    Add Pumpkin, apple and carrots, stir
    Add Coconut milk and cover veggies with water
    Cook 20-30min until veggies are done and add Mango

Take out lemon grass and star anis

Purée the whole mix. Add more spices and water until you have the consistency and taste you like.
    3200g of soup give 8 portions of 400g. Fill off the portions and freeze some for later use. I never make less than 3L of soup at a time ;-)

Total: 8serv 1,782 231 79 36 186
    Per Serving: 223 29 10 5 23

Can anyone tell me, how I can copy paste a recipe I added to my MFP database? Sorry guys - added tabs so the table would look good. But the system deletes them out :-(