looking for some SOUP ideas..

Options

Replies

• cawhite51
    Options
    We really like "tastes like lasagna soup". It is about 180 calories a cup. You can go to the recipe at Paula Deen's website.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My favourite at the moment is a potato, leek and celery soup. I tend to just throw different amounts in together, but my last one was along the lines of 200g potato, 150g leek, and 100g celery, a medium brown onion, and one small rasher of bacon and a chicken bouillon. I sauté the onion and bacon for a few minutes before adding the other ingredients in, boil until nice and soft and then blitz with my stick blender until smooth. I add fresh spring onions and black pepper. It's low calorie, I often divide it into 6 small serves, which total out about 80 cal depending on the vegetable quantities.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    excellent suggestions.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I made a "cheater" tortilla soup this weekend that I really loved. I just bought some Kirkland tortilla soup (from Costco), dilluted it with some vegetable stock (or you can use chicken stock), added some extra chicken (I just used sliced deli chicken that I needed to use up), frozen corn (I like Trader Joe's fire roasted frozen corn), chihuahua cheese, and a little hot sauce for some extra kick. I just mixed the soup components together, sprinkled the cheese on top, and heated it up in the microwave for a couple of minutes -- it was a fast and delicious lunch.

However, if I have a bit more time, one of my favorite soups for autumn is this carrot soup with tahini and crispy chickpeas: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/carrot-soup-with-tahini-and-crisped-chickpeas/

It's extremely easy to make, rich tasting without any cream, and a nice riff on carrot soup.
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My fave:

600 grams (21 oz) fresh chopped broccoli, cauliflower or a combination
    2 cups of fat free chicken stock

Steam the broccoli/cauliflower until soft. Add the chicken stock. Blend (I use a stick blender) until you have a puree. Season and eat. It is really that simple, but one of the best quick soups I've ever had.

I do this but use equal amounts broccoli and diced potato (with skin) and just broth of preference to cover. A little more filling. If I have time I might dice 1/4 of an onion in there too...very simple and quick you're exactly right.
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Red Lentil Coconut Soup: http://www.scalingbackblog.com/savory-bites/16117996741/

Super easy! I made this last night and added some baby spinach at the end. Hearty and delicious.
  • breanazank
    Options
    I've been on a soup kick lately! myself :)

Cauliflower zucchini soup
    Ingredients:
    Cauliflower 1 head, chopped
    2 zucchini, half-inch cubes
    1 carrot, half-inch cubes
    1 potato, half-inch cubes (peeled, or left on)
    1/2 white onion, diced
    1 to 2 clove garlic, minced
    4-6 cups of vegetable stock
    1 teaspoon parsley
    salt and pepper to taste
    coconut milk (optional)
    (puree it altogether)

Spiced red lentil, tomato, and kale
    Ingredients:
    2 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 sweet onion, diced
    3 celery stalks, diced
    1 bay leaf
    1 & 1/4 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/4-1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika, to taste
    1/8th tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
    14-oz can diced tomatoes
    5-6 cups vegetable broth, more if desired
    1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
    fine grain sea salt and pepper, to taste
    2 handfuls torn kale leaves or spinach

Black Bean, Red Quinoa, and Sweet Potato
    Ingredients:
    1 cup uncooked red quinoa, rinsed and drained
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cup diced sweet onion (about 1/2 large)
    1 jalapeno, seeded if preferred and diced
    1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped to 1/2-1 inch dice
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    6 cups vegetable broth
    1.5 cups cooked black beans (one (15-oz) can rinsed and drained)
    fine grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste (I used 1/2 tsp salt or a bit more)
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or red pepper flakes)
    2 handfuls Spinach or kale leaves, optional
    toppings: avocado, corn chips, cilantro, cashew cream, lime juice, tomatoes or salsa, green onion

Mushroom Millet
    Ingredients:
    1 cup uncooked millet (or quinoa for complete protein)
    2 pounds fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
    4 cups chopped sweet onion
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    7.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (if using full-sodium reduce added salt below)
    Salt & pepper, to taste (I used about 1.5 tsp kosher salt)
    2 tbsp vegan + GF Wizard’s Worchester sauce (or equivalent)
    To garnish: toasted walnuts, fresh herbs, etc
  • samanthahix12
    Options
    buuump!
  • avisitant
    avisitant Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sandytoshiko
    sandytoshiko Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Crockpot chicken soup

Take a whole chicken season with herbs, salt and pepper, stuff carrots and celery hearts in the body and place In a cheese cloth. Put chicken and 6 cups of water in crockpot on high for 6 hours or until chicken is cooked. Take chicken out of the sack and take meat off. Put the meat back in with the broth and mix in some cubed potatoes, and bag of frozen veggies for a couple of hours with some onions and garlic. Season to taste. When you cooked the chicken in the water it made you a chicken stock so no need for added sodium from bullion cubes (but you can add them if you want a stronger flavor).

Sometimes I serve with wheat pasta, usually I skip eating it though.

Serve with a nice salad and/or bread.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    awesome sounds great
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I recently saw The Barefoot Contessa make a Spanish Pea Soup. It uses frozen peas, garlic, shallots, low sodium chicken broth, olive oil and a slice of oven crispy prosciutto. I amnot really a fan of split pea soup but this was really good and tasted nothing like it! Quick, easy and only 232 calories for a huge bowlful! It's also a very pretty shade of green :)

It's been a while since I posted a link on MFP so I forget how, but here is the web address:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/spanish-pea-soup-with-crispy-ham-recipe/reviews/index.html
  • MrsDestanyRodriguez
    Options
    Yesterday i made some Cheddar Turkey Bacon, Baked Potato Soup and it was really EASY to make with only a few ingredients
    It was 252 callories for a 1 cup serving and it was so Good One of my new favorites ! If you would like the reciepe just messsage me !
  • 2015KMV
    2015KMV Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    All of my recipes use on cube of bullion (chicken) that I get from BJs club in a bulk jar.

2 cup water + 1 cube bullion + 1 can black beans + some diced celery + some onion flakes + some coriander + some garlic powder + some red pepper (alter spices to taste, around 1/2-1 tsp on everything but the red pepper) Boil and done.

2 cup water + 1 cube bullion + 2 cup pumpkin puree + indian curry spice mix + add to sauteed onions and heat through and done.

2 cup water + 1 cube bullion = bring to boil + add paste of corn starch n water (around 1tbs starch or so) stir in until slightly thickened, = + drizzle in a whisked egg in a thin thread just after you turn off the heat, stirring gently = egg drop soup add pepper to the top when serving

1 cup water + 1 cup skim milk + 1 cube bullion + 1 head of oven roasted cauliflower bits (toss lightly with olive oil and dried thyme and a bit of salt and roast at 375 until roasted) blend it up with a hand blender right in the pot and done.

USE CHOBANI plain fat free on top of thick spicy soup for sour cream and serve with a salad = extreme low cal meal
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump for later....
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I make a customized version of the P90x Vegetable Soup

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1423849-Vegetable-Soup

This is seriously the best low calorie soup I've had and it's just packed with veggies. When I first made it though it was ridiculously salty so I have used a lot less chicken broth.

8 cups water
    2 cups chicken broth(low sodium) 10 cal per cup
    1 can of tomato sauce(no sault added) 70 cal
    1 whole white onion
    4 cups chopped carrots
    2-3 cups chopped celery
    4 potatoes peeled and quartered( 100 cal each potato=400)
    Garlic definitely adds a lot of flavor
    Pepper

I skip the zuchinni, cilantro and parsley because I simply do not like them in soups.
    I am able to make 3 servings out of this BUT my servings are about 3 1/2 cups so it is quite filling and less than 200 calories for over 3 cups. I had my boyfriend try some and his exact words were "Wow, that has a really robust flavor"
  • crazebeck
    crazebeck Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Super simple and delicious:

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

- cook one head of cauliflower in salted water
    - transfer to blender and blend until smooth, in 2 or 3 stages
    - return to pot, add one cup of (Aroy-D) coconut milk and heat through, adding or adjusting seasonings to your taste (turmeric is a nice touch)

This makes at least 4 servings, so even though coconut milk seems high in calories, the finished product is definitely not.

Ohh! I bet this would be great with some curry! I might have to give it a shot! :)
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/lentil-soup-with-sausage-chard-and-garlic/

Made this the other night and it was gooood. Skipped the garlic oil on top. Used turkey sausage instead of pork and kale instead of chard. Can be made without meat. I do however think the parmesan grated on top was a must. And it was much better day 2 (as tends to be the case with soups)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thank You for this! Sounds Great. :flowerforyou:
    A favorite from lunchbox.com a couple of years ago:

Ginger Pumpkin Butternut Squash Soup
    vegan, makes about 6 cups

1 cup canned organic pumpkin (or use fresh roasted if you have on hand)
    4 cups butternut squash cubes
    1 Tbsp ginger powder
    1/3 cup grade B maple syrup
    2 Tbsp vegan buttery spread (add more for a richer, more buttery soup)
    1/2 tsp pink sea salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    4 leaves fresh sage, torn
    1/2 cup+ plain almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)

To Make:

1. Add 4 cups of water to a large pot. Bring to boil. Add in butternut squash cubes and a pinch of salt. Boil until squash is tender - but not falling apart.

2. Drain the squash and add to a high speed blender. Add in the pumpkin, spices, and all the remaining ingredients. For the milk, start with 1/2 cup and keep adding until your soup reaches your desired thickness.

3. Blend. Serve immediately - warm. Or you can simmer on the stove until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh sage leaves.

OMG