Learn What it means to "Eat Clean"

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I think that more people know how dangerous it is to consume things like diet soda and Lean cuisines to lose weight.

Hey, I get it. You have an opinion about this. But let's just agree that this statement is highly debatable. Please don't communicate it as if it's Truth.
    1) Eat Whole Foods - whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, grass-fed and free-range meats, low fat dairy products, unsalted nuts, and seeds..

For the sake of avoiding arguments, let's just leave it at eating whole foods. We can all agree that nutrient-dense foods are generally preferable.
    2) Avoid Processed Foods – Put simply, if you cant pronounce it, don’t eat it.

I'm honestly shocked that organic chemists live past 40.

3) Eliminate Refined Sugar – refined sugar is nothing but calories. You can use sweetners like Stevia, but avoid aspartame, Splenda, Sweet N Low and similar.

Again, at best this is debatable.

4) Eat 5-6 small meals per day - By eating smaller meals throughout the day you can help rev up your metabolism and reduce the chance that you’ll eat some Doritos or Oreos rather than that whole grain cracker with nut butter and strawberries. You never get so hungry on this plan that you’ll feel deprived or feel the need to cheat.

The whole rev'ing up your metabolism thing has been debunked into massive oblivion by now. But it if helps you control your meals and feel sated, go for it.
    5) Cook your own meals - Instead of buying meals in a box, cook meals from scratch. That’s not as hard as it sounds! Clean, whole foods need little preparation beyond chopping and sautéing to make satisfying, delicious meals your family will love.

All in for cooking at home. I dislike doing it, but it's much easier to log things accurately when I'm the one weighing things out.
    6) Combine protein with carbs - When you do snack or eat a meal, make sure that meal is balanced. For the most satisfaction from your diet, and so you’ll be less tempted to eat junk food, combine protein with carbs or carbs and fat. This simple act will fuel your body and quash hunger pangs.

Again, this is really just personal preference, but I'm glad it works for you.

I'm sorry but it really seems like you may be trying to get this thread locked. Was this necessary? To give a negative between every "quote" just to end it with " Again, this is really just personal preference, but I'm glad it works for you" These forums are generally to share what has worked for others and it is common knowledge that what works for one may not work for others. It just upsets me to see completely negative people on these threads. Everyone has an opinion and whether it is right or wrong negativity isn't going to change that persons opinion. Lighten up!

So we can't disagree or point out where things are wrong? Also, this is Food and Nutrition..not Motivation and Support. Either way, it is a public forum and people are allowed to express themselves as they want. If you take it personally/negatively - that's all on you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think that more people know how dangerous it is to consume things like diet soda and Lean cuisines to lose weight.

Hey, I get it. You have an opinion about this. But let's just agree that this statement is highly debatable. Please don't communicate it as if it's Truth.
    1) Eat Whole Foods - whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, grass-fed and free-range meats, low fat dairy products, unsalted nuts, and seeds..

For the sake of avoiding arguments, let's just leave it at eating whole foods. We can all agree that nutrient-dense foods are generally preferable.

I'm honestly shocked that organic chemists live past 40.

3) Eliminate Refined Sugar – refined sugar is nothing but calories. You can use sweetners like Stevia, but avoid aspartame, Splenda, Sweet N Low and similar.

Again, at best this is debatable.

4) Eat 5-6 small meals per day - By eating smaller meals throughout the day you can help rev up your metabolism and reduce the chance that you’ll eat some Doritos or Oreos rather than that whole grain cracker with nut butter and strawberries. You never get so hungry on this plan that you’ll feel deprived or feel the need to cheat.

The whole rev'ing up your metabolism thing has been debunked into massive oblivion by now. But it if helps you control your meals and feel sated, go for it.
    5) Cook your own meals - Instead of buying meals in a box, cook meals from scratch. That’s not as hard as it sounds! Clean, whole foods need little preparation beyond chopping and sautéing to make satisfying, delicious meals your family will love.

All in for cooking at home. I dislike doing it, but it's much easier to log things accurately when I'm the one weighing things out.
    6) Combine protein with carbs - When you do snack or eat a meal, make sure that meal is balanced. For the most satisfaction from your diet, and so you’ll be less tempted to eat junk food, combine protein with carbs or carbs and fat. This simple act will fuel your body and quash hunger pangs.

Again, this is really just personal preference, but I'm glad it works for you.

I'm sorry but it really seems like you may be trying to get this thread locked. Was this necessary? To give a negative between every "quote" just to end it with " Again, this is really just personal preference, but I'm glad it works for you"

His statement was correct. Whether or not you need some certain meal frequency or special combination of macronutrients on a per-meal basis in order to lose weight is largely preferential.
    These forums are generally to share what has worked for others and it is common knowledge that what works for one may not work for others.

1) These forums are for exchanging information and the person you are quoting offered intelligent counterpoints to the OP. I didn't see any personal attacks, I saw disagreement and in my opinion, rightfully so.

2) The phrase "what works for one might not work for others" is a slippery slope. There are plenty of things that are preferential as far as weight loss goes, but it's quite easy for someone to miss the mark when it comes to identifying which of those things are entirely preferential. And it's important to recognize which items fall into that preference bucket, because quite often people will post something as if it's accepted fact, when it's clearly not.

See here for a good read on this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
    It just upsets me to see completely negative people on these threads. Everyone has an opinion and whether it is right or wrong negativity isn't going to change that persons opinion. Lighten up!

It upsets me even more when I see someone who can't handle a disagreement. No personal attacks were made by the person you are quoting. If someone can't handle an exchange of information without getting their feelings hurt, they shouldn't be posting. And if you'll notice, I'm not attacking you with my reply. I'm disagreeing with your information.

Have a lovely day, and good luck with your fitness goals.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't get clean eating. I mean if I buy and eat

chomuf_lg.jpg

That's bad. But if I make

Skinny-Double-Chocolate-Chip-Muffins.jpg

With stuff from whole foods or the organic section it's okay? Is it not the same damn muffin?
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I was put on a "clean" eating regimen 6 weeks ago when the Dr took me off my Cholesterol Medication because it was causing my joints and muscles severe pain. I eat all plant food and fish... I do eat a yogurt and eggwhites but other than that it's all clean healthy eating. It was hard at first but now it's just habit and I have no desire to eat the crap or junk food. I don't eat processed foods, breads, meats or pasta... I do however, love pizza and will cheat once in a great while and have a slice or two and wash it down with a couple beers. I am by no means perfect but I am feeling much better, my skin feels good and I am sleeping like a rock!! Oh and yeah I lost 17.4lbs in 6 weeks so I am all for Clean Eating and would LOVE some recipes and meal plans if you care to share, so friend me if you want!

Thanks!
    Kelly
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I was put on a "clean" eating regimen 6 weeks ago when the Dr took me off my Cholesterol Medication because it was causing my joints and muscles severe pain. I eat all plant food and fish... I do eat a yogurt and eggwhites but other than that it's all clean healthy eating. It was hard at first but now it's just habit and I have no desire to eat the crap or junk food. I don't eat processed foods, breads, meats or pasta... I do however, love pizza and will cheat once in a great while and have a slice or two and wash it down with a couple beers. I am by no means perfect but I am feeling much better, my skin feels good and I am sleeping like a rock!! Oh and yeah I lost 17.4lbs in 6 weeks so I am all for Clean Eating and would LOVE some recipes and meal plans if you care to share, so friend me if you want!

Thanks!
    Kelly

So egg whites and yogurt aren't even considered "Clean"? :huh:
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    OP has a point, though. Why we haven't banned dihydrogen monoxide yet is a mystery.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
    contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    may cause severe burns.
    is fatal if inhaled.
    contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    in nuclear power plants.
    in the production of Styrofoam.
    as a fire retardant.
    in many forms of cruel animal research.
    in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products

I feel like you are missing a few uses for this "dihydrogen monoxide" you speak of. That's okay though, yes, ban away! Is there a petition I can sign?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    It just upsets me to see completely negative people on these threads. Everyone has an opinion and whether it is right or wrong negativity isn't going to change that persons opinion. Lighten up!

My only guess is that tone is difficult to interpret in text, and that the way you heard what I was "saying" was different than the way I intended it. I'm not going to apologize for anything because I don't feel I had done anything that merited the strength of your response, but I can see where I might have a similar response if the roles were reversed.

As far my comments go, the OP may not realize it, but much of what she said ends up being inflammatory here. I was attempting to find common ground where it existed and to agree to disagree where common ground didn't exist.

Oh well. Can't win 'em all.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Kelly

Not unless you have some chickens & cows in your backyard!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

" that what works for one may not work for others"

Wish they had a *rolling eyes* smiley. JS :ohwell:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're supposed to eat miracle gro. Besides, plants eat poop.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The term “Eat Clean” has been thrown around throughout the Fitness and Bodybuilding Community for some time. Fitness competitors are known for their strict diet to gain muscle mass in order to achieve their desired results.

But what does this mean..? Eating clean is simply the practice of avoiding processed and refined foods and basing your diet on whole foods.

Right.

That's why the bodybuilding community is rampant in its use of whole, unprocessed foods like protein powders.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Kelly

Not unless you have some chickens & cows in your backyard!
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/

Who doesn't?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Weightloss is 80% nutrition, 10% Fitness and 10% Genetics!

I've actually quantified this for my own case. My caloric deficit comes half from diet and half from exercise, so it's 50% nutrition, 50% fitness for me.
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OP has a point, though. Why we haven't banned dihydrogen monoxide yet is a mystery.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
    contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    may cause severe burns.
    is fatal if inhaled.
    contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    in nuclear power plants.
    in the production of Styrofoam.
    as a fire retardant.
    in many forms of cruel animal research.
    in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products

I feel like you are missing a few uses for this "dihydrogen monoxide" you speak of. That's okay though, yes, ban away! Is there a petition I can sign?

Contact your elected officials! On average, more than ten people die every day due to dihydrogen monoxide inhalation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So first the mythological "toxins" get tossed around, then the (completely false) rev your metabolism garbage gets tossed in, and on and on.

I think I just filled my diet myths bingo card on this topic.

OOooooo! Someone needs to put up the MFP bingo card so we can check.

in that case, we hit a trifecta with this thread...
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone what's with all the arguing? The lady said learn what it means to eat clean and it IS confusing.

Like, whole foods would be brown rice and not white rice because its less processed. I think what she's saying is that by eating whole foods we'll be in better shape.

And it's clear that there a LOT of dirty eaters on this website. You filthy eaters should be eating whole foods and YOU'RE NOT. I see a list of database entries like this, and it just drives me nuts:

banananopeel_zpsb458f865.png

Whole foods, people. Stop processing your stuff into the simplest sugars you can.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Kelly

clean eating makes you sleep like a rock...who knew..?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    The lady said learn what it means to eat clean and it IS confusing.

It's confusing because it's completely arbitrary and non-fact-based. That's why there is so much arguing - it's not a rational discussion, it's a religious argument.

Just sit back with a bag of popcorn and enjoy the fireworks. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP, I think maybe you need a lesson in "clean eating". While I realize it's a made up term, your descrition does not fit the definition the term was orginial made up to mean.
    1) Eat Whole Foods - whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, grass-fed and free-range meats, low fat dairy products, unsalted nuts, and seeds.
    Yes and no. Low fat dairy is not "clean". Salt is clean, so no reason nuts can't be salted. Wild caught fish should be on this list.
    No. Pronunciation has nothing to do with it. The more the food has been altered from it's natural state, the less clean it is.
    No. Stevia the plant is clean. Stevia the product bought at the grocery is not.
    Frequency of meals or hunger has nothing to do with whether the food is clean. Whole grain crackers are not very clean.
    No. "Clean" doens't matter who cooks the meals. It matters what ingredients were used.
    No. Clean is not about macros. It's about how natural the food is.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is 80% nutrition, 10% Fitness and 10% Genetics!

I've actually quantified this for my own case. My caloric deficit comes half from diet and half from exercise, so it's 50% nutrition, 50% fitness for me.

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS MATH!!!:mad: :explode: :devil: